Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
edhd58

Default T5 behind a 6 cylinder?

I started a discussion about swapping in an 8 where my six is and putting a T5 behind it.

So let me start a different discussion.

Has anyone swapped in a T5 behind a 6 cylinder?
I ask because it seems RPM is a demon with this G six cylinder. I drove it yesterday 60+ miles in 92 degree weather. Max speed had to stay at 60 MPH. Any faster and the temp gauge starts to climb and doesnt stop till you slow down.
When youre on a highway with the "suggested" speed limit of 70 and the real speed of closer to 80 being driven by others, 60 just seems a little dangerous.
So back to the question, can I swap in a T5 behind the G six cylinder, has it been done, am I crazy to ask ??
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: T5 behind a 6 cylinder?

I've sold several of my T5 conversion kits to customers for use behind a 6 cylinder. Never had any negative feedback.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
edhd58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I've sold several of my T5 conversion kits to customers for use behind a 6 cylinder. Never had any negative feedback.
Tell me more, pm or discuss here??
Old 08-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Krylon32

PM me
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
flatheadmurre

I think you have to adress the heating issues cause the load on the engine is higher going faster...higher or lower geared.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
B-O-B

How is the rest of the vehicle,brakes,steering handling,tires? I can understand an O D to get better mileage & or help the engine but just for speed . Use 2ndary roads if they bother you.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
edhd58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
I think you have to adress the heating issues cause the load on the engine is higher going faster...higher or lower geared.
I may be thinking wrong, I am thinking I am over revving the engine. I am thinking an T5 would give me lower rpm at the same speed. The rest of the car, handling, braking etc is fine at speed.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
finn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhd58 View Post
I may be thinking wrong, I am thinking I am over revving the engine. I am thinking an T5 would give me lower rpm at the same speed. The rest of the car, handling, braking etc is fine at speed.
I’d be more concerned with the braking system if you plan on driving 80 mph on the freeway on a regular basis.

Like a previous poster said, if you aren’t comfortable driving 60 on the expressway because people will be passing you, use the secondary roads these cars were designed for.

The T5 does make for relaxed cruising on the secondary roads. You will probably be power limited for high speed cruising on anything but flat freeways.

These old cars fold up like tinfoil in an 80mph crash.
finn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
skidmarks

Its not just the overdrive that makes them easier to drive but the closer ratios between 2 and 4th. Most of the time i dont use 1st with a t5 but it depends on the weight of the car or truck.

They shift quicker and smoother up and down , no over speeding the motor. Overall if makes for a nicer ride

What rear ratio are you using now? And what size tire? Those both play a factor in the end
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
edhd58

finn1 and B-O-B,
The car and myself will feel comfortable at 70, at 80 maybe not so much. I am just looking for a few more mph, no road racing.
I would like to be able to easily run 65 to 70. By easily I mean not worrying about over-revving the motor or overheating it because I'm making it spin faster than it wants to. Anything over 60 mph and it wants to get hot.

skidmarks, 3.54 gears is whats in it with 6.00x16 tires
Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
skidmarks

With the 3.54 you will need to use 1st gear.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
flatheadmurre

We have had a heat record here...90 is hot here in sweden...
And i´ve pushed both my trucks down the highway doing 75 and the only issue is i need earmuffs...So rewing them doesn´t lead to overheating if all else is working as it should.
Going faster means you need more power...more power gives you more heat...and they take rewing better then our ears do...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
edhd58

[QUOTE=flatheadmurre;1659551]We have had a heat record here...90 is hot here in sweden...
And i´ve pushed both my trucks down the highway doing 75 and the only issue is i need earmuffs...So rewing them doesn´t lead to overheating if all else is working as it should.
Going faster means you need more power...more power gives you more heat...and they take rewing better then our ears do...[/QUOTE

what is your drive line
Old 08-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
tubman

"rewing"="revving"?
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #15
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhd58 View Post
My flathead six runs at 180.. but gets warmer as speeds/hills increase.. However, the six cylinders are way more tolerant of heat than the v8. Summer 2017, while returning from the relatively cool San Pedro to the Valley, I sprung a leak in my lower radiator hose.. even with losing coolant & the temp getting to the 220 mark at stop lights, the motor kept running. If the car doesn't get over 210, I wouldn't worry.. or you can add a columbia overdrive...

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #16
Tinker

Any transmission that is different then the normal designed system will have an effect.

Personally I don't think a t5 will have any effect on engine temp. If anything the opposite.

Now on everything else there maybe a cost. Brakes, rear ends, kingpins, etc etc... all have to be tight. Lot's to really think about. Mostly with stopping.

But if your going t5 just put some disc brakes in.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote