Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Model A Apprentice

Question Head bolts too short for High Compression Head

In attempting to install a Snyder 6:1 head on the 31 roadster using the standard length grade 8 head bolts that were recommended for the head, I find that the 3.5" head bolts are too short. I can order the softer grade 5 head bolts in the 3.75" length required, but am concerned about the grade.

Has anyone had experiance using the grade 5 head bolts on a 6:1 Head? I hear they have the potential to "stretch". Is there any truth to this?

Last edited by Model A Apprentice; 12-02-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Model A Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
kenparker

Default Re: Head bolts too short for High Compression Head

Bought and installed one of Snyders 6.1 HC head last month using the grade 8 3.5" bolts. Same problem, they are too short. I am having a bubbles in the radiator problem and attribute it of lack of torque. Have not solvess problem yet. Ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Model A Apprentice

Did you use the 3.5" "high compression" bolt set or did you use the longer but grade 5 bolts? I am thinking of using the eleven of the 3.75" ignition studs. Longer studs but lighter grade.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
kenparker

I used the 3.5 "high compression" bot set. Snyders call it chrome-moly or something like that. I am going to order eleven of the 3.75" ignition studs and trade them out one at the time.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Model A Apprentice

Thanks for the input. I guess the ignition bolts will have to do for now.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Glenn C.

Not a bad idea if you can get the ignition studs in grade 8. Will that mean you might have to use grade 8 flat washers under the nuts ?
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Apprentice View Post
In attempting to install a Snyder 6:1 head on the 31 roadster using the standard length grade 8 head bolts that were recommended for the head, I find that the 3.5" head bolts are too short. I can order the softer grade 5 head bolts in the 3.75" length required, but am concerned about the grade.

Has anyone had experiance using the grade 5 head bolts on a 6:1 Head? I hear they have the potential to "stretch". Is there any truth to this?

All the studs stretch. You just don't want them to stretch too much such as when a Grade 5 (or any grade) stud is over-torqued.

Snyder's head is off 1/4 of an inch as compared to the original head for you to need 3-3/4" studs.

The most common Model A ignition stud is 3-11/16" which is 1/16" shorter than what you're calling for but 3/16" longer than the correct 3-1/2" studs.

correct nut height = 7/16"
3-1/2" x 11
3-11/16" x 1 (most common ignition stud and correct for 1931)
5-23/32" x 2
correct thread length of bottom thread for all studs (the part that screws in the block) = 3/4"
Snyder's gasket = .050" (?)

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 12-03-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Model A Apprentice

Is the 3-11/16" stud that you reference more commonly known and listed as the 3-3/4" in the Bratton Manual? I did not measure the exact length of the bolts in the high compresion head bolt package I received. The water outlet studs fit well. The "3-3/4 ignition bolt" would take a nut nicely. But I could just barely get a single thread to start on the "3-1/2" bolts. Not sure what I will use for the actual ignition stud. I will check the exact measurments of all the bolts when I am in the shop tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Apprentice View Post
Is the 3-11/16" stud that you reference more commonly known and listed as the 3-3/4" in the Bratton Manual? I did not measure the exact length of the bolts in the high compresion head bolt package I received. The water outlet studs fit well. The "3-3/4 ignition bolt" would take a nut nicely. But I could just barely get a single thread to start on the "3-1/2" bolts.

No, the 3-11/16" ignition stud is just what it is .. 3-11/16" and it is the correct original length for all Model A's ignitions except for AR 1928 which used a thick conduit clip and a stud length of 4-7/16". There was also another thick conduit clip which used a stud length of 4-1/16".

The 3-1/2" stud is the correct original length for all Model A's from start to finish.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 12-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
GOW

has anyone called snyder's to see what's what?
GOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Boston Bruce

I also recently installed a 6:1 Snyders head and used their grade 8 studs. Same issue. As I've said here before, I torqued the head to 65 lbs. and have no bubbles or leaks. The tops of the studs do not come up even like the originals so for you purists that might be a problem.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
30ccpickup

I have the same problem with the Snyder’s 6:1 head. I was hoping when I did my second torque after 500 miles it would be better, but it was not. (55 lbs.) Everyone points it out me, I am glad to find out that it wasn't a rookie mistake.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Model A Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Head bolts too short for High Compression Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
I have the same problem with the Snyder’s 6:1 head. I was hoping when I did my second torque after 500 miles it would be better, but it was not. (55 lbs.) Everyone points it out me, I am glad to find out that it wasn't a rookie mistake.

Me too!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruce View Post
I also recently installed a 6:1 Snyders head and used their grade 8 studs. Same issue. As I've said here before, I torqued the head to 65 lbs. and have no bubbles or leaks. The tops of the studs do not come up even like the originals so for you purists that might be a problem.

Being a purist or not has nothing to do with it. The maximum threads of the nut should be utilized for accurate torque and proper clamp ESPECIALLY on a high compression head.

Moreover, on the original head, the original stud rose ABOVE the nut a thread or two to secure maximum thread.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 12-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brumfield View Post
Being a purist or not has nothing to do with it. The maximum threads of the nut should be utilized for accurate torque and proper clamp ESPECIALLY on a high compression head.

I assume when corrrecting the problem, the proceedure would be to replace one at a time following the torqueing sequence. Is there any additional concerns I should be worried with?

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
gweilbaker

Could the studs be threaded too far into the block? The studs cavities blown into the water jacket letting the studs enter the jacket.

Just SWAGing

GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

You'd think that the manuf of the new head knew it was thicker than a stock head and would have made avail correct length studs ?????
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
30ccpickup

GW

No threads were left on the studs, when hand tightened into the block. All studs are equally short. When installing I assumed the threads were at a set length for your reason stated above.

Paul

Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Bob Johnson

Paul or Model A Apprentice,

How thick is the head at the stud holes?

Bob

Last edited by Bob Johnson; 12-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
I assume when corrrecting the problem, the proceedure would be to replace one at a time following the torqueing sequence.

Since you just installed them (I assume) you might be able to get them out one at a time by gripping them but you'll be lucky and may just make a mess out of the studs. Of course you could also weld a nut to the stud but that's a lot of trouble and not the way to do it in this case. It's best to remove the head.

Quote:
Is there any additional concerns I should be worried with?

Yes, a blown head gasket ... or leaking combustion under load and a head gasket that may not hold up for the long haul (or possibly even the short haul) with only a partial grip by the nut and 55 pounds of torque.