Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #21
Gary in La.

Default Re: Upgrade to Electronic Ignition

I've been running a Remond Pertronix 6 volt positive ground dist. with a rebuilt stock coil and by-passed resistor using stock type stranded wire plug wires for over 15 years . Had to replace the coil after about 10 years . This was the only problem I've encountered. Also have the stock gen. installed. With the high humidity in south La. I was always having point corrosion problems with the stock dist.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #22
koates

The Remond Pertronix 6 volt helmet type distributers (1932-41) used a specially rewound and modified original type coil. Now operating on straight 6 volt instead of 4 1/2 volts through the resistor, the standard 6 volt pos ground pertronix module would work with the new coil. Its a special system so you hope it does not malfunction some where out on the road because you wont be able to fix it easily without identical spare parts. Of course you could carry a complete original spare points type distributer and fit it up I guess. Correct me if Im wrong but I don't think Remond do these any more. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #23
Brian

Sorry, but I still cannot understand how going modern electronic anything can be considered an upgrade!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #24
Gary in La.

The dist in my '46 is the standard crab type for that year. Not a "helmet" type.
Mickey Remond has"nt done these dist's for many years as he had some personal issues and I believe he took his own life. Jerry Jobe was the original developer of these units and after a few years offering this service he sold his tooling and parts inventory to Mickey who continued for a few years. The "Pit Stop" in Texas has continued the service.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #25
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger/Sacramento View Post
It all sounds great until it goes out. I installed a Pertronix dist. on the chevy motor in my '32. It ran fine until one day it quit when I was waiting in line to enter a car show. Don't know why it quit, it is an expensive experiment to me. Had to get hauled home. I am staying with the crab on my '41 pickup. It will probably be trouble free for a long time.
I'm with you. I would be afraid to drive on a long trip with EI. I don't see this or 12 volts as an upgrade or improvement. G.M.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #26
32forddump

I purchased an electronic ignition from a guy at Hershey. It cost me about $275. I love it. Turning over that 1932 truck with 12 volts works so much better, though I do need to put a resistor in line with the starter because I think 8 to 10 volts would be adequate. There were times that it barely started with 6 volts. It was very frustrating, especially when the parade was getting started and I was sitting there. Now it pops to life in an instant and also I work noon to 8pm and when I bring my truck to work which I often do I can see better with the 12 volt headlights on the way home. Just the safety of having 12 headlights was worth the investment.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #27
TomT/Williamsburg

I have one of Bubba's crab Pertronics units in my avatar. I absolutely love it as it starts and runs like a clock ...

I also converted a stock top mount distributor for my 40 coupe 14 + years ago to Pert - even though the distributor is starting to die of old age and I have one of Bubba's units on order, I will tell you it too has done its job very, very well over the years ...
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #28
Lazy Jake

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that I was in the process of installing the Pertronix in my '46 Business Coupe. Done. Couldn't be happier with the way the car starts and runs. Solid core wires will not work with this unit (6 Volt Pos. Grnd.) You must use suppression wires. On a 59AB I see no choice but to remove the distributor from the car. For me that entails removing the 6V alternator and the fan. Once this is done, the swap out can be done on the workbench. I did leave the primary wire hooked to my old points plate, gapped the dual points, then placed all this along with the condenser and the coil in my toolbox in the trunk. Just in case.
Lazy Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #29
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
I have one of Bubba's crab Pertronics units in my avatar. I absolutely love it as it starts and runs like a clock ...

I also converted a stock top mount distributor for my 40 coupe 14 + years ago to Pert - even though the distributor is starting to die of old age and I have one of Bubba's units on order, I will tell you it too has done its job very, very well over the years ...

Hows those knees??? I just finished your "tall" version of our new distributor and its ready to ship this week. PM with where you want it shipped , sorry for taking so long , been a bit under the weather here for a while....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote