Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Lenny G.

Default model t 1927 tudor

just have a question about my T it ran good then I bought a new exhaust pipe from engine to muffler. cut the pipe and connected it to the back of the muffler to keep the fumes out of the car, it works great. but know I have a hard starting problem since then and backfire and stalled which it never did. replaced the spark plugs with new ones. removed carb. and took apart and cleaned installed and the same thing hard to start have to open throttle all the way. so my question is since I put the longer pipe on the muffler could it be to much back pressure on the engine?
thank you in advance!
Lenny G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Steve Jelf

Default Re: model t 1927 tudor

My guess would be coincidence. I doubt that the exhaust pipe would cause hard starting unless it's obstructed. Several things could be the problem. Dirt or water in the fuel. Timer malfunction. Etc. etc.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
CharlieB

Agree. Coincidence. The standard T muffler is practically wide open any way. Basically an open pipe all the way through. Even if you jambed a potato in the end of the pipe there would still be enough "space" for the car to start normally. It would quit or blow the blockage out. How's the needle set? Did you clean the carb passages? Sounds like one or more are clogged. That wide open throttle to start business is an indication of a fuel related problem. Check the choke too.

Last edited by CharlieB; 07-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Lenny G.

I would have to agree, and it could be the timer my radiator was leaking on the timer so I will check that . did replace it last year with a new one. Just had my radiator repaired so its 100 % no leaks. I did clean the passages and used compressed air to clean. the jet was scared up put in my table drill and used sandpaper to get the marks out. will look into the choke also but it looks like its working proper. and I have fresh fuel in it we do drive it alot to the lake. will check the fuel bowl.

Last edited by Lenny G.; 07-16-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
redmodelt

As a side note; don't put a clamp where the pipe slides into the muffler. It needs to be a slip fit to allow for expansion and contraction. The Model A while a solid assembly from the engine back had a pipe hanger that was loose on the pipe to allow for the same thing.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Lenny G.

well getting back on the model t found out I had a dead coil so I replaced it. also found that when I replaced the ignition switch with an after market one found that the contacts don't line up. so with the key in the on position it would start sometimes or an arch would start it but took some time. cleaned up the original and installed back in.
fires right up now. runs great for a few miles then starts to chug and wants to die. so next thing on my list have the carb. rebuilt.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
bayu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jelf View Post
My guess would be coincidence. I doubt that the exhaust pipe would cause hard starting unless it's obstructed. Several things could be the problem. Dirt or water in the fuel. Timer malfunction. Etc. etc.
nice info
bayu is offline   Reply With Quote