Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Richard/Ca

Question carriage bolts

Does any one know where I can get 3/8-24x2 1/4in. carriage bolts?. Or does most restorers both Pro and Armatures used 3/8-16x2 1/2 when mounting the body to the frame. Most cars need 4. Richard
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: carriage bolts

Man I wish I knew too. The fine-thread is the kicker!! I am resorting to making them on a lathe using all-thread and roundstock, ....to the tune of about 30 minutes time in each one!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Man I wish I knew too. The fine-thread is the kicker!! I am resorting to making them on a lathe using all-thread and roundstock, ....to the tune of about 30 minutes time in each one!!
How big is the demand for these? There is a local bolt company here that will do custom runs. If the quantity would justify the cost (to you), they would make to order. Even if you only needed one, they'd do it, but of course, the cost would be up there.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Arlen

Building a fine point car? If not, most of us just use the bolts sold by the parts venders. If your doing fine point, have you looked at www.mantiques.comThey have more original nuts and bolts than I've seen anywhere else. You might also check www.fordbolts.com he has some strange stuff (the K. R. Wilson tool paint is fantastic)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Richard/Ca

Maybe we should see what kind of demand there might out in ford land for them. 700rpm might be able to put something together in Portland. I could used 8 if the price was right. Is there anybody else that might be able to use some 3/8-24x21/2 in carriage bolts. Richard
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Richard/Ca

Arlen Your mantiques web address has an extension on.But I figured it out. fordbolt has the kit $ 49.00 which I don't need. I may call tomorrow to see if they sell just the bolts. mantiques I am checking out now. Thank you for the in put. Richard
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

I could use a dozen here. Likely there is a minumum order quanity of over 1000 to justify the setup and tooling costs. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
1931 flamingo

Roy Nasewicz (spelling) specializes in bolts, fasteners for fords, lots of people on the EV8 forum use him. Might be worth it to contact him.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Jim Brierley

There is a company in Escondido, CA called Restoration Supply, I haven't asked them about those bolts but it may be worth a phone call to them?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
There is a company in Escondido, CA called Restoration Supply, I haven't asked them about those bolts but it may be worth a phone call to them?
I have checked with them in the past along with as many companies as I could find. Resto Supply has the Step Bolts which could be easily modified however they only come in course threads. What we really need is 3/8-24 x 2¼ length, and 7/16-20 in 2¼, 3¼ and 5¾ lengths with the big dome head (different contour than a carriage bolt).

Right now I am using round bar stock and shaping the head on the lathe, then drilling & threading it, parting it from the stock, followed by cutting the appropriate length of All-thread and screwing it up into the new head. Next we TIG weld the top of the All-thread and metalfinish the end to match the contour of the head. If I need the square tang under the head, I use square bar stock that has been drilled & threaded. I part it at ¼" inch and screw it up onto the bolt threads. Loc-tite secures the square shank onto the threads. As you can probably tell, it takes an average of 30 minutes each for me to do it our way, so someone taking the time to make a batch of correct looking ones sure would be a plus.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Midwest Tin

Hi,
I hope this is what your talking about. The carriage bolt that is used in the cowl subfloor area. Note fine tread and the thin dome head. At swaps I am always looking for tin cans with original A bolts etc. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.jpg (36.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (24.0 KB, 55 views)
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Tin View Post
Hi,
I hope this is what your talking about. The carriage bolt that is used in the cowl subfloor area. Note fine tread and the thin dome head. At swaps I am always looking for tin cans with original A bolts etc. Jim

Yep, that's it Jim. Thanks!! Your idea about scrounging in tin cans is great, ...except I need to find enough to do 6-8 cars a year! Not sure I have enough time to search thru that many tin cans!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Richard/Ca

There you go Roy. Read Brent in 10-uh-c thread he has several different sizes he could use. Others have expressed interest in the 1/8-24x2 1/4 in. Maybe worth checking to see what it would be worth to make maybe 100 of them. Thank you Richard
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Richard/Ca

Hi! Jim Yep! That be the one I have 1 that I could save. I would put the Modern bolts in but it just would not feel right and it properly bug me forever. Ford put the in for a reason and like Brent was going make my own.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Roy Nasewicz (spelling) specializes in bolts, fasteners for fords, lots of people on the EV8 forum use him. Might be worth it to contact him.
Paul in CT
Page 13 of their catalog,

"All the correct nuts, bolts, and washers necessary to attach body to the frame. All hardware plated to original Ford Specifications. These kits contain exact reproductions of the hardware as shown in the MARC/MAFCA, DeAngelis-Frances charts."
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Havy you tried contacting some of the larger impliment companies as Caterpiller, John Deere, Case etc to see just what kind of bolts/lock washers they have?

I know one time I had to use a special Model A bolt (fine thread) to fix a John Deer Harvester just so I could keep harvesting!

Might be worth your while to email or call these companies just to see instead of beating our heads against the wall.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 06-13-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Page 13 of their catalog,

"All the correct nuts, bolts, and washers necessary to attach body to the frame. All hardware plated to original Ford Specifications. These kits contain exact reproductions of the hardware as shown in the MARC/MAFCA, DeAngelis-Frances charts."
Roy is a dear friend of mine and I have been to his house/shop on several occasions over the years. I have sorted thru his bins and I have never seen a fastener (body bolt) shaped like what we are needing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00443.JPG (186.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00438.JPG (164.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00405.JPG (138.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00416.JPG (131.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00408.JPG (125.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00400.JPG (128.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00401.JPG (127.6 KB, 33 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
700rpm

Richard/CA sent me a sample of the bolt in question and I took it to a former client of mine, Portland Bolt, to see if they could make some. They are a big outfit and do specialty runs, but they said they couldn't do this one for a couple reasons: They are hotheaders, and this bolt is too small for them; it's too short for their threading machines; carriage bolts are made from wire feeders, which is why modern heads are the size they are, and which Portland Bolt doesn't do. So a big strikeout here.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Richard/Ca

Nope just strike one Ray. I am retired and really have a lot of time to look some more. I will just keep plugging along maybe I'll get lucky. But thank you for trying. Richard
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
mpalilonis

Does Roy sell the Robertson, square head, screws as well? I have a Canadian built A and would like to replace a couple rusty screws.
mpalilonis is offline   Reply With Quote