Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 PM   #1
Ken T

Default Towing Capacity?

I've been bouncing ideas of the possibilities I have with this thing if I'm able to get this thing running correctly. The thought of putting a trailer behind it with a smoker on it to sell food sounds fun. Of course I'd need to have a custom hitch made for it. I'm wondering how much weight this can tow if I start designing/building a trailer in the future? With it being a 1 1/2 ton truck, I'm assuming it can handle a lot. But, I'm learning and have been wrong with some of my previous assumptions. I can't find any info when I do a search on the internet.

IMG_8897.jpg IMG_8774.jpg IMG_8773.jpg IMG_9380.jpg

Last edited by Ken T; 02-29-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM   #2
swedishsteel

Default Re: Towing Capacity?

Pulling a trailer you need horsepower to get it going and good brakes to get it stopped-I would suspect your old fire engine is lacking in both
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
Ken T

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
Pulling a trailer you need horsepower to get it going and good brakes to get it stopped-I would suspect your old fire engine is lacking in both
Refurbishing the brakes is #2 on the list.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:36 PM   #4
51504bat

It's got hydraulic brakes and probably really low gears since it was a fire truck. I wouldn't pull a fully loaded equipment trailer but I wouldn't worry about a single axle concession trailer with electric brakes. But that's JMO.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:56 PM   #5
38 coupe

That fire truck looks heavy to begin with. Adding a light trailer behind it probably will change the driving dynamics a bit, but not outside of reason. First get it driving nicely by itself and see if it feels like you would like to haul a trailer with it. Slow and long braking distances are probably part of the deal. The mechanical side of the truck should handle it, we have all seen pictures of how much weight these trucks moved back in the 30s and 40s.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:20 PM   #6
Ziggster

Lots of science actually goes into truck trailer dynamics, but in your case it should be fairly straight forward. Looks like rear of truck is a fair distance from rear axle centreline, so even though it is a “truck” you need to be cognizant of tongue weight due to that cantilever effect. Should be obvious, but any trailer hitch must be tied into the frame and not any other metal work or decking in your case. Also, make sure track width of trailer axle(s) match that of your rear axle. This is very important as if it is narrower, this can lead to dynamic instability. Tongue length and trailer axle(s) distance to hitch is another important variable in determining dynamic stability and manoeuvreability. In other words, a large vehicle like that fire truck, needs an equally large trailer. We’ve all seen folks towing a wheeled log splitter home from Home Depot. Lol!
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:42 PM   #7
rich b

Maybe just have fun with your old truck; putting it back to work as a commercial motor vehicle may bring up all kinds of surprises.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:17 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

How much water do you plan on carrying?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:25 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

As others have mentioned, get it running correctly first. Your previous post showed you've got some serious rust/scale issues to deal with and remedy.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-01-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:51 AM   #10
alanwoodieman

that fire truck is a first response pumper that originally had 500 gallons of water so pulling a smoker would be no problem
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:02 PM   #11
blucar

I would suggest doing what many people have done to haul a vintage cat around. Put the body on a late model F 450-550 chassis, in the long run it would be cheaper and safer than trying to patch together and old truck to do a new truck job. I have several friends that have put a vintage COE body onto a late model RV chassis to haul their custom car to car shows. If you are cleaver about how and what you build it can be licensed as a '41 Ford saving a bunch of money on license's/tags.
I did that with a '64 pickup body on a '97 chassis.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:53 PM   #12
trulyvintage

Arrow

Find a good “ meat and potatoes “ welder.
My primary welder is in the countryside
outside of Iowa City, Iowa and mainly
works on farm equipment.

Get a sturdy Class 4 or 5 universal
receiver hitch and have the welder
fabricate mounting plates to attach
it to your vehicle.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:19 PM   #13
Ken T

I figure I have about a years + or - worth of work on the truck, approximately. Per the registration, it weighs 10k. I was wondering if it might be able to tow a trailer similar to the one here. I have to build the trailer and that’s why I was curious what the towing capacity is.

IMG_9496.jpg
Old 03-02-2024, 12:43 AM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken T View Post
I figure I have about a years + or - worth of work on the truck, approximately. Per the registration, it weighs 10k. I was wondering if it might be able to tow a trailer similar to the one here. I have to build the trailer and that’s why I was curious what the towing capacity is.

Attachment 537408

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:14 PM   #15
Model51

The answer to your question regarding the towing capability of your truck can be calculated with information found in the 1941 Ford Dealer Showroom Album. There's a table listing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for your truck based on several equipment choices. You will need to know exactly which spring set is installed on your truck, the current gross weight of your truck, tire sizes and maybe a bit more to be able to calculate the maximum GVWR.

Back in the day, pneumatic brake systems were installed on the truck and trailer to provide safe stopping power. Old time pictures show massively overloaded trucks pulling heavily loaded trailers, but that was before regulations, modern traffic and a bit less concern about safety. I bet some of those loaded trucks never got faster than 15 miles per hour with those loads.

You will still have a relatively weak engine pulling all that weight and everything needs to be in tip top condition. Also, be sure you check you state motor vehicle requirement for weight classes and driver licenses.

Based on the picture of your trailer, or one like it, I'd recommend a modern diesel engine truck to haul it around and enjoy your fire truck as an antique fire truck.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote