Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
MurphyJ

Default Model a wheel conversions

Sometimes I think that it would be cool to take off my original wire wheels and tires and run a set of solid wheels and tires just for a different look. My question: If I opt to go with solid steel wheels what years fit the Model A drums and have the proper spacing that allows the lug nuts to thread all the way down to the end of the nut. Some solids I have tried have the right lug nut spacing but the nuts do not thread all the way down. Once again I thank you for any help you can give me for proper wheel selection. This is a very helpful forum.
MurphyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Geo. H

Default Re: Model a wheel conversions

Solid wheels on an A brake drum require spacers. Speedway has them. Spoke wheels through 1935 bolt up with no problem.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
ctlikon0712

Michelin made a solid disc wheel, I’ve included a pic. Also what about the solid wheels called Artillery Wheels? I thought they bolted right up. They are hard to come by and with that the price is high. And on that note, does anyone know how those wheels came about? Are they a military piece? And the pic with the Alligator…. I don’t know what the rear wheel is off of but apparently someone made one that must have fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michlin disc's on an A.jpg (34.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Rod with Artillery wheels.jpg (73.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Alligator 31 Model A.jpg (66.0 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

I am not sure of the full consequences of the change, but consider this.

The Model A drum and wheel are a system. If you look closely you will find that the wheel touches the drum at two points, one of which is close to the outside edge of the drum. One some drums, Ford even machined the outside of the drums at this mating surface.

If you look close you will see this creates a box structure to give more rigidity to the drum. If you have any dirt or paint accumulation on these touching edges you will introduce drum warpage.

So if you take away this 'structure' what are you really doing to the drum and how it works over time? Have you increased the likely hood of it warping? Will it reduce brake effectiveness? Did Ford design the system to use the spokes to dissipate the heat generated on the this steel drums (I would not have put it past the design team)?

What about these third party wheels, did they mount like the original wheels? I have never seen any up close.

Anyway,
As I said, I do not have the answers. I do know that Ford made the parts out of different materials and designs then the other manufacturers knowing that the system will function as good as or better than the individual parts found on other cars.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

International Scout wheels have a large center hole, presumably to fit over the locking hubs on the front axles. I have a pair of these on a Model A chassis and they seat well against the drum. I don't think they would be that hard to find.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
...the pic with the Alligator…. I don’t know what the rear wheel is off of but apparently someone made one that must have fit.
The '31 Fordor that I had 50+ years ago came with a set of these wheels. I managed to trade them for some 19 inchers just because I didn't like the way they looked.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Murphy,

Pay close attention to what the others are saying. I did a write up, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ns#post8330045, about the adapter required using wire wheels on hydraulic drums but addressed your situation also. Years ago I was riding in my friends Model A and a wheel came off going around a corner. Thinking back it probably occurred since he was not using the adapters. Don't leave home without them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Tacoma Bob

My first Model A (ccpu) had WWII jeep wheels. My Dad drove it with those for a number of years. Summer of 1968 I started driving the truck with the same wheels then changed to chrome with baby moons. Just before dad retired he sand blasted and primed the jeep wheels and he still has them. If memory serves me, 50s Studebaker truck wheels fit as well.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
WTSHNN

Discussed in this thread....
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85625

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Chris Haynes

When I got my first A back in '62 it had Dodge 15" wheels on it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
jkeesey

Cj5 jeep wheels fit and so do f150 and bronco wheels. i replaced my bent 21" wheels with cj5 wheels on my rear and f150 wheels on my front. sadly my one f150 wheel is also bent.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
MurphyJ

Thanks guys for all your comments, suggestions and serious warnings.
From what i have seen on some solid wheels that do fit the model a drums, is that the lug nuts will not pull up all the way on the threads, leaving just a few threads holding the nut. Do the early wheels you mention above let you thread the lug nuts all the way down? Thanks again.
MurphyJ is offline   Reply With Quote