Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
Bored&Stroked

Default 1932 Ford Steering Box - Sector Shaft Needle Bearings

Someplace I've heard that folks sometimes replace the bronze bushing with a needle bearing type of arrangement. Am I imagining things, or is there a way to improve the functionality of a 32 Ford steering box? I'm getting ready to help a friend rebuilt his - and looking for potential options.

Thanks!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1932 Ford Steering Box - Sector Shaft Needle Bearings

Originals were 13-1.Only option is to go to 15-1 worm and sector if you want to keep it stock IMO. ThirdGen has or had the new repo 15-1 worm and sector parts and done some .A member here in NZ makes entirely new units but its long wait. Another fellow in CA also makes replacement units.Don't know his lead time tho.Sent you an email about another option.

Last edited by deuce lover; 08-21-2022 at 12:36 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
cas3

Ford only used the needle bearings one year, 36 IIRC, then went back to bushings. Reason is the needles tend to wear grooves in the sector shaft in the straight ahead position, where most of the cars driving is done. I've taken a few apart that have noticeable grooves in them. Just like motorcycle headset bearings will wear in the straight ahead position from lots of freeway miles
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
tubman

I've heard the same thing. While the needle bearing king pin setups sound good in theory, they have the same problem.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #5
John R

The 36 steering gear is basically the same as the other 32-35 steering gearboxes but has needle bearings (68-3576) instead of bushings on the sector shaft. The earlier boxes can be modified to use these 36 roller bearings. It is also a good idea to add a modern lip seal outboard of either the needle bearings or bushings.)

The 37-up boxes went back to using bushing. Perhaps the increased steering ratio on these later boxes reduced steering effort enough that the needle bearings were considered unnecessary.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #6
DavidG

We make the conversion to needle bearings when we replace the cork seal on the outer end of the sector housing with a modern seal. I've numerous '36 sector shafts and none show a different wear pattern than the '32-'35 sector shafts that I have.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:35 AM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
We make the conversion to needle bearings when we replace the cork seal on the outer end of the sector housing with a modern seal. I've numerous '36 sector shafts and none show a different wear pattern than the '32-'35 sector shafts that I have.
Hey David - how would I find out about what you've been doing with the work you mentioned on the 32 sector situation?

What have the primary benefits been (in the end). It is eash to imagine why a better seal makes sense, was wondering about the needle bearings?

Also, is there a document/procedure for making the mods - would like to read/review it if possible.

Thanks again!
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:27 AM   #8
Terry,OH

I have had several done by a local machinist including the modern seal. I do not like how the sector shaft fits the bearing (too loose) and the inability of the lube to reach the bearings. The modern seal is a very good addition.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:14 AM   #9
DavidG

B&S,

To be perfectly honest, the benefit is primarily theoretical (other than the obvious benefit of the modern seal), namely to reduce some of the friction in the steering system, but since we leave everything else stock, the improvement is modest.

All other things being equal, I do note a difference between the steering effort in my '35 (sector bushings) and that in my '36 (sector needle bearings), although some of that is obviously attributable to their ratios being different. (Both are the same body type and weigh about the same.)

Last edited by DavidG; 08-22-2022 at 07:20 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
whizzernick

I have made the modification . I have several ready to go exchange . call me or e mail 510-889-1933 [email protected]
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote