Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #1
Johnny Nitro

Default Is this head gasket seepage acceptable?

Help me from doing anything drastic.

I have had head seepage problems in the past (my own fault), but had finally thought I had it beat. I bought the BEST brand composite head, new high quality head studs, and meticulously followed the Brufield guide to torque the head to 64ftlb (due to my 7:1 lion head.)

Everything seemed perfect, until I added some liquid sealant for a radiator leak (which fixed it). Now, I’m not sure if this leak began after that, or I just noticed after adding the sealant, because it caused a highly visible stain, but now I have the leak seen in the attached image. It is the rear passenger corner of the head.

It doesn’t seep constantly, but only seems to appear after putting the engine under high load. I’m assuming the high compression under load is pushing the head off the gasket.

I’m about to loose my mind, and just torque the nuts to 70ftlbs. The idea of changing the gasket again just has me SO worn out (I’ve done it a half dozen times, already)

Is this leak something I should just ignore? It doesn’t seem to be getting into the combustion chamber (yet.) Talk me off this ledge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 14BEE7AA-FDCC-4970-BBAE-2BE8D649D103.jpeg (21.1 KB, 522 views)
Johnny Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote