Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Flathill

Default 35-36 Front Brakes ?

I'm trying to remove the front brake drum on a 35 ford with mechanical brakes. The drum will not come off so I'm trying to remove the backing plate with the drum on it.
The backing plate four 4 nuts have been removed and the brake arm disconnected. The backing plate is loose but seems to be hung up on the brake operating pin which goes through the top of the king pin to the brake wedge.
There seems to be no way to remove the backing plate as this pin would first have to be removed.
Seems like it would be difficult to remove the pin with the drum and brake shoes still on the backing plate.
The question is can I somehow remove the backing plate with the drum and shoes still attached ?
Flathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Willit Stop

Default Re: 35-36 Front Brakes ?

Flathill.... It's been awhile since I've been into my brakes but if memory serves,remove the large cotter pin,nut,washer and outer bearing from the hub/drum.Now look on the backing plate.There should be a square looking stud sticking out.That is the adjuster.I think it's 7/16.Turn it counter clockwise.That will relieve the shoes.The drum should come off.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Flathill

The shoes will not move and they appear to be tight on the brake drum.
All cotter pins, nuts, outer bearing and backing plate nuts and bolts have been removed. The piece that appears to be keeping things together is the operating shaft that goes through the king pin. How is this shaft removed ? Maybe the shaft drops out of the bottom when the wedge and brake drum are off the backing plate.
I can not get to this step as the brake drum won't come off. Still thinking of what the next step should be ?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Willit Stop

maybe this will help http://restoreyourford.com/1935pcbrake.shtml

Did you remove the brake rod?It is next to and parallels the wishbone.If not,remove the clevis pin and back off the adjuster.It is near the top of the backing plate. Even with the rod removed,the adjuster is still holding the shoes apart. Once the (square 7/16 ) adjuster is backed off, try putting the wheel back on and rotate and wiggle the wheel.I have a long list of cuss words if you need them. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Terry,OH

There is a brake rod through the king pin and extending into the backing plate to the top of the brake wedge. The rod will prevent the removal of the backing plate so reinstall the plate and turn the square adjuster on the top of the backing plate counter clock wise nearly all the way, this should allow the shoes to retract. You can see the shoes through the front drum so if they do not retract with the adjustment lube the two pins on the top of the shoes as they enter the center cast housing and gently tap the adjustment pins until they do retract. DO NOT LEAVE MARKS ON THE PINS. This will free up the drum and you can remove it.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Flathill

Thanks Willit Stop for the diagram with the parts description. This helped as it it gave the parts names not just the numbers.
Also Terry now I know why the backing plate would not come off as you mentioned the brake rod "operating pin" extends through the backing plate.
There is no square adjuster on the top only a #2041 Brake Shoe Adjusting Wedge where it is difficult to turn with a screw driver as there is only a hole on the top of the backing plate with a rubber plug that you remove and then insert a screw driver or a special tool to turn the wedge. "Sort of looks like a gear".
After much work the two front brake drums have been removed.
Next week I will attempt the removal of the rear drums.
These are the solid drums which will make it more difficult to service as there are no opening to view the internal brake shoes and wedges.
I will purchase or fabricate a puller for the rear brake drums. Still haven't figured out how to turn the brake shoe adjusting wedge on these as the small top hole on top of the backing plate is hard to work from.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
blucar

If you do not have the correct style of drum puller, that fits into the grove cut into the drum hub, you will have a hard time pulling the rear drums.
Don't attempt to pull the rear drum using a puller that attaches to the lug bolts, you will damage the drum and/or axle shaft, because the drum hub can be seized to the axle shaft..
The correct K.R.Wilson rear hub puller for Fords is usually offered for sale in the back pages of V8 Times.. Proto also made a Ford type of hub puller... I have one.. However, I don't think that Proto is still in business...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

It sounds like you may have brake shoe floaters/equalizers at the top of the backing plates. They have a slotted wheel that must be turned through that outer hole where the square ended wedge adjuster use to be. It take some practise to learn how to adjust those wheels by going in through the threaded holes with a screw driver. The rear drums can be a bear to remove w/o a good puller. There was a recent post that gave details on rear drum pullers. Make sure there is no brake shoe drag on the drums before trying to pull them.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Willit Stop

Flathill: Please check your private messages.