Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2022, 12:27 AM   #1
Synchro909

Default Corn head grease

For many years, I have used John Deere cornhead grease in the steering box of my cars. Today, I went to buy more and was told it is no longer available. Is that true or is it just a BS line from a salesman who can't be bothered. Maybe it's just another product caught up in the supply problems the world is experiencing. Looking forward to hearing yay or nay and if nay, finding out what others use now.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:41 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Corn head grease

Listed on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Co.../dp/B00CSBOLL8

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 04-19-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:05 AM   #3
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
And "Currently Unavailable".
I'm wondering whether I could mix some grease and say, some conventional steering box lube to get something that will just flow so as to always get to the gears and yet thick enough to limit leakage. Any opinion on whether they would separate? Ordinary grease will separate into thicker grease and a thinner oily substance that would leak.
With the steering box right near the exhaust on a RHD car, would ordinary grease be OK (it would get warm)?

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-19-2022 at 01:14 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:51 AM   #4
Brentwood Bob

Don't know.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:41 AM   #5
quickchange

still buy it here , bought some the other day , Maybe i can ship you some or come collect ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:23 AM   #6
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
For many years, I have used John Deere cornhead grease in the steering box of my cars. Today, I went to buy more and was told it is no longer available. Is that true or is it just a BS line from a salesman who can't be bothered. Maybe it's just another product caught up in the supply problems the world is experiencing. Looking forward to hearing yay or nay and if nay, finding out what others use now.
Our local John Deere a few years ago said that if you want one you have to buy a box of them. The local agent only sells push type lawn mowers from a tin shed. I was hoping to test drive a header or something, but no.

Had no such problem getting one tube at a dealer in the north of the country in a country area.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #7
Big hammer

I’am surprised you don’t use Penrite steering oil? it’s leakless, made in Australia
Old 04-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #8
rotorwrench

I am familiar with the agri-business here in the US since my family is still involved in farming but don't know a thing about Australia's agricultural or farming business. The stuff is stocked largely in areas where corn is produced here in North America. The product is used by owners of equipment that was not produced by John Deere as well but there are even other companies that make a similar urea based lubricants here.

If similar products are produced in your region, you might look into those products. It's bound to save a lot on shipping.

Leaky steering boxes can generally be repaired with a new bushings or sometimes with an o-ring, new gaskets, or new seal but the old model As used the W600 oil which is similar to SAE-140 gear oil. It's some pretty thick stuff. With old Fords, it boils down to how fast it leaks all the lubricant out since they were not completely oil tight when new.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-19-2022 at 08:13 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #9
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
And "Currently Unavailable".
I'm wondering whether I could mix some grease and say, some conventional steering box lube to get something that will just flow so as to always get to the gears and yet thick enough to limit leakage. Any opinion on whether they would separate? Ordinary grease will separate into thicker grease and a thinner oily substance that would leak.
With the steering box right near the exhaust on a RHD car, would ordinary grease be OK (it would get warm)?
I just looked and it said 17 in stock at Amazon.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
Keith True

Read the spec sheets for corn head grease and cotton picker spindle grease.Looks like the difference is the labels.I buy it at tractor supply.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:07 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I just looked and it said 17 in stock at Amazon.
I see on Amazon that it is "currently unavailable". Even if it were available over there, I couldn't buy it and have it shipped. UPS, Fedex etc are all way too expensive and USPS don't ship to this part of the world, as I have said before.
There have been enough of you say that it is available over thee that I'm starting to think it is another one of those supply chain problems. I might just have to wait. It being called "grease", I suspect a shipper will assume it is flammable and the regulations for shipping flammable items are very onerous.
As for using Penrite steering box lube (which is semi fluid grease), I find it does slowly leak.
Thanks guys, at least your replies have given me hope.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:10 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
still buy it here , bought some the other day , Maybe i can ship you some or come collect ,
Derek, When is your next decently large rally. We have done several over there so collecting it in person is inviting. Otherwise, would you please let me know what the postage would be for say, 4 tubes.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:53 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

You might try Lucas Hub oil too. Someone mentioned using STP in their shocks and it started me thinking, lessee I have some Hub Oil around and that's pretty good at staying in the box, why not? The trouble is that to properly fill a shock, you must take it apart first, then fill the cavities. then reassemble it. I think it (Hub Oil) will work in a steering box just fine.
Good Luck, Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #14
old ugly

cornhead grease is still available here. i just bought 2 tubes yesterday.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #15
Synchro909

You might try Lucas Hub oil too. Someone mentioned using STP in their shocks and it started me thinking, lessee I have some Hub Oil around and that's pretty good at staying in the box, why not? The trouble is that to properly fill a shock, you must take it apart first, then fill the cavities. then reassemble it. I think it (Hub Oil) will work in a steering box just fine.
Good Luck, Terry

cornhead grease is still available here. i just bought 2 tubes yesterday.

I have just checked and Lucas Hub Oil is available here. I think I'll give it a try till I can get Cornhead Grease again. If John Deere are still making it, the problem must be getting a supply over here. Maybe the agent has dropped it. Maybe the agent is behind with their orders. Who knows?
It would cost at least $100 for USPS to get a parcel here for a $5 tube. I think I'll wait till it's available at a JD dealer again or I have a decent order of other stuff coming.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #16
Robert/Texas

I put Penrite in both of my A's and both early V8's steering boxes decades ago. I hadn't heard about Cornhead grease then and paid a high price for the Penrite. That completely stopped leaking in all of them and they all are easy to steer.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Penrite is good stuff I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

I live in the middle of the Cornbelt in Illinois and am retired from John Deere. Our local Deere dealer has all kinds of it no problem I was just in there last month and saw it on the shelf in the display area.

I have two tubes at home so didn't need anymore now.

I'd say that guy is just blowing smoke up your you-know-what just to get rid of you
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #18
daren007

Installed a “O” ring many rears ago and serviced with 600 oil. No leaks.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #19
KGBnut

Where I live all the farms are gone and replaced with condos. I did a long drive across country last year, stopped at a John Deere dealer in South Dakota and stocked up on Corn Head Grease for my universal joints.

In corn country, they still use Corn Heads, and they still need to be greased.

Ken
Old 04-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #20
40 Deluxe

Did you know the grease used in front wheel drive CV joints is much the same stuff? It flows to all parts of the joint but doesn't leak if a boot gets torn. It will get flung out through a split in a boot at speed, but what splatters on the frame and suspension stays there; it doesn't drip on the ground.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote