Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
56yblock

Default carburetor problem

hello guys,i have a problem carburetor gasket,i've rebuilt with a refection kit,but i have a small leak between the intake manifold and carburetor base ...i think to put two gasket with some little paste ......what do you think? i hope you understand me...
56yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: carburetor problem

Quote:
... i have a small leak between the intake manifold and carburetor base
Vacuum or gasoline?

223 6-cyl?

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
56yblock

Default Re: carburetor problem

v8 272 ci .. i see a small gasoline leak, and the engine doesn't runs good,i can't adjust correctly
Old 12-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
56yblock

look at the pic where there's a small gasoline leak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180906_192937.jpg (41.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Sid

As far as the leak at the base you will have to remove the carb. (It is easier with base removed from carb. body) Get yourself a sheet of 80 grit or there about sandpaper,a nice flat surface like a piece of glass and slide the base of the carb. back and forth it. You will see any imperfections on the base. Then use a good quality gasket on the base. As far as the leak at the jet plug you may try changing the gasket. It may be wise to consider buying a rebuild kit at this time to do these repairs and you will have everything you need. It looks like it's time for a rebuild.

Last edited by Sid; 12-28-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: carburetor problem

... and make sure any old gasket material is removed.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
56yblock

it's a old pic, since i'd cleaned and rebuilt it , i've changed all gaskets,i have leak at 2 place ...
Old 12-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Sid

Then I would still pull the carb. and do as I suggest with a piece of sandpaper. Flat glass or a table saw as long as is perfectly flat. Sand until the base looks uniform in color. You will see any low spots. At this point you may want to remove the 3 studs and use a straight edge and make sure there are no imperfections on the intake and make sure there is no old gasket remaining. You can usually tighten 2 nuts together on the stud and remove. Squirt some penetrating first as a precaution. Make sure you are using a good thick gasket and not the thin paper one that comes in some kits. As far as the jet plug leaking that is also a problem with some strombergs. Charlie price at Vintage speed has the gasket for that that is made out of some type of nylon and usually takes care of that problem. You may also want to pull that plug out now to see if there is some sort of a burr or imperfection on the screw or carb. body.

Last edited by Sid; 12-28-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

The modern gasket kits for the Holley 2100/2110 (you have a 2110) come with nylon gaskets for the float bowl drain plugs as well as the thin phenolic gaskets. I personally don't use the nylon gaskets and have always had good luck with the reddish colored phenolic gaskets. The rebuild kits include both types. Maybe you should try replacing the phenolic gaskets with the nylon ones.
If the backside of the float bowl screw/plugs are scratched, damaged or burred, you may not get the leak to stop with new gaskets. Those screw/plugs are available new from Holley and some of the Ford resto parts suppliers.

Now for the base. You really should install a phenolic spacer between your intake and carb. It should be 1/4" - 3/8" thick. You will need two new gaskets. One between intake and spacer and the other between spacer and bottom of carb. You will need to remove the three mounting studs and get three longer mounting studs. Those may be really hard to find now. I got mine from a serious high-performance speed shop decades ago.
Before installing carburetor, clean the milled surface of the intake manifold thoroughly using a one-sided razor blade. Get all bare metal showing. May need to start with wire brush. Use vacuum cleaner to suck any debris out of venture holes in the intake manifold.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
54vicky

80 grit is way too course you wlll end up needing a new base if you try that.a much finer grit (400 -600) will suffice the advice given is good other than the 80 grit.being in europe it is not as easy to obtain rebuild kits that we can here good luck
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
56yblock

what is the best refection kit for carburetor ? do you have a link where can i find it ?
Old 12-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

As far as cleaning off the carb mounting surface flat again, I have used several techniques successfully before, but you gotta be careful.
1) A small wire brush can be used to fray any paper stuck to the surface. Once you see where the paper is, then you can scrape it down to the bare metal using a one-sided razor blade.
2) A small flat file with fine grit can help you achieve flatness, but don't overdo it.
3) Remove the three studs. Get a little round wire wheel attachment (with fine wire) for electric drill and run it at medium or low speed across the flat surface. A Dremel variable speed rotary tool with wire wheel attachment will work too, but run at low speed. Be sure to get around the stud holes real good too as there can be buildup of gasket material there.
I have been getting my gasket sets from Dickshotrodcarbs or Mikes carburetor parts.
You can order online, but look to see if they ship to Portugal first. I don't know if they ship overseas. You can get the standard kit from most of the resto parts suppliers also, like Mac's (Ecklers), or Concours, but again check shipping info. All supply ethanol safe gasket materials.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
80 grit is way too course you wlll end up needing a new base if you try that.a much finer grit (400 -600) will suffice the advice given is good other than the 80 grit.being in europe it is not as easy to obtain rebuild kits that we can here good luck
If he uses 400 grit he will see his grand children with gray whiskers to their belly when he's done. That base is cast metal. Not aluminum. He's doing the base where it bolts to the intake,not the carb. body. This is a procedure that won't take more then a couple minutes. If you so desire you may do a few strokes with a finer paper to finish up. . Done this a hundred times and never destroyed a base. Not sure where 56y is located to direct where to purchase parts. As far as the jet plug remove it and make sure there is not a imperfection on the carb. or the screw. Feel with your finger nail if you need to. Napa or any larger auto store should be able to help otherwise Summit or Speedway.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #14
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
If he uses 400 grit he will see his grand children with gray whiskers to their belly when he's done. That base is cast metal. Not aluminum. He's doing the base where it bolts to the intake,not the carb. body. This is a procedure that won't take more then a couple minutes. If you so desire you may do a few strokes with a finer paper to finish up. . Done this a hundred times and never destroyed a base. Not sure where 56y is located to direct where to purchase parts. As far as the jet plug remove it and make sure there is not a imperfection on the carb. or the screw. Feel with your finger nail if you need to. Napa or any larger auto store should be able to help otherwise Summit or Speedway.
what ever your 80 grit is different I have only done 80 at least and the cast iron on the ones I have done only needed the old gasket removed in some cases as the cast iron in the ones I have done were not warped you must have poorer cast iron than the ones I have seen.but hundreds?with the gaskets and spacer yours must have had a hell of a warp. my whiskers are down to mid chest.but back to his question about buying a kit.

Last edited by 54vicky; 12-30-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #15
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56yblock View Post
what is the best refection kit for carburetor ? do you have a link where can i find it ?
here is a link to one source I am not sure on shipping if you have a Napa over there it is another. there are a few good ones on this side of the Atlantic just not sure of shipping.be aware that most kits have parts for several different carburetors you must take care when assembling to use the right gaskets.I do not see where to add a link sorry .but the name of one company is called daytona parts or daytona carburetor a google search will bring them up.if as suggested you do not have a spacer on base then in the day they would sell a spacer that was made up of 3 base gaskets if any warpage this would easily take care of it.good luck

Last edited by 54vicky; 12-30-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: double post
Old 12-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #16
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56yblock View Post
here is a link to one source I am not sure on shipping if you have a Napa over there it is another. there are a few good ones on this side of the Atlantic just not sure of shipping.be aware that most kits have parts for several different carburetors you must take care when assembling to use the right gaskets.years ago you could buy a base gasket that was made of several single gaskets if slight warpage these would be more than ample to solve that problem I can not find a way to add link but the one I was going to suggest is called Daytona parts also Daytona carburetor.P.S they are called rebuild kits when searching
Old 12-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #17
54vicky

https://daytonaparts.com/here it is,tried to delete double post no luck
Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #18
56yblock

thanks guys for help me...