Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Mike in Mass

Default trust

I found something here in the swapmeet the other day ,PM,d the guy told him I wanted it ,,would try to get payment in the mail by saturday (today). I made it to the post office yesterday and mailed it out . nice ,,can,t wait to see it ! sent the man in Texas PAYMENT SENT ,,,Got a message this mornin he had allready mailed it on its way ! (over 50 dollars for the item ) TRUST .... I went to buy a couple old factory carts to move my flatheads around my celler ,the guy made me a two for one deal ,problem was I only had money for the one . NO PROBLEM the guy says can you mail me the money for the other one ?> sure I says ... TRUST .... A handshake and a look in the eye still mean somthing to some folks . whether it be in Rhode Island or Texas its nice to know some peaple still have it.. TRUST .... MP
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
2935ford

Default Re: trust

Did two similar deals the very same way just a few weeks ago.
There are still lots of good people out there that TRUST human nature.

Thanks.
We always hear about the bad stories.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
4tford

Yes trust is great, unfortunately I have been burned a couple of times.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

I have done the same for several paople here on FB. I have not really been able to do that in the last year and 1/2 due to afew circumstances. Most here on FB are trustworthy. My willingness to do this depends alot on how long they have been active contributors. Rod
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
jim1932

Mike.... A Texan trusting a Yankee??? WOW

I've found that if you trust someone, you usually get a quicker payment and a better transaction. No doubt you mailed the checks as soon as possible rather than wait till it was convenient for you.

There are still pockets of good old trust. Stayed at a larger in town B&B in Vermont last summer. Checked in and got a key to my room. I asked him if that also opened the front door. "This is Vermont, we don't lock the door".

Depending on the circumstance, sometimes I'd rather just give it to them. It gives me a good feeling and the good relationship with others in the hobby is invaluable. Much rather get a new friend then a $25 check.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
uncle max

I "trusted" 139 carburetor customers last year. Sent everyone of them with a bill. No problems. Some people think I'm nuts, but I've never been burned. I'll keep doing it this way until I have to re-think things!
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle max View Post
I "trusted" 139 carburetor customers last year. Sent everyone of them with a bill. No problems. Some people think I'm nuts, but I've never been burned. I'll keep doing it this way until I have to re-think things!
Something about being trusted, makes a fella want to be trustworthy.

Treat them like they are a crook and they may act like one.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Henry/Kokomo

I sent a fellow 'Barner some parts that were surplus to my needs and which I thought maybe he could use. My idea, no charge, just cleaning up and trying to find a good home for things. Next thing I know, a check shows up. I really like dealing with 'Barners!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Dick

I've sent numerous parts with the agreement if it's not what you need return it. I've always been paid and promtly too. I think Barner's are a "cut above" and enjoy doing business on a hand shake!
Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
TagMan

I bought a '40 steering wheel from a kind of befuddled old timer (and I'm 67!) at Hershey. When I was looking at it, he told me he had the horn button in his truck and woulod include it. I decided to take the wheel.

After about 20 minutes of him rummaging around inside his truck and being unable to locate it, he appologized and told me he'd send it to me.

I decided to trust him, gave him my name & address and went off on my merry way.

The following Wednesday a package arrived with the horn button.

You just gotta love car guys!
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
V12Bill

For about 10 years I was responsible for sending out fender covers that my local car club sold as a fund raiser. During my tenure about 500 fender covers were sent out on the same day or within a day of receiving the order and check in the mail. Not once did a check bounce or was returned for stop payment. When you deal with old car people, you deal with honest people.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
flat-v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
I bought a '40 steering wheel from a kind of befuddled old timer (and I'm 67!) at Hershey. When I was looking at it, he told me he had the horn button in his truck and woulod include it. I decided to take the wheel.

After about 20 minutes of him rummaging around inside his truck and being unable to locate it, he appologized and told me he'd send it to me.

I decided to trust him, gave him my name & address and went off on my merry way.

The following Wednesday a package arrived with the horn button.

You just gotta love car guys!
That's a great story! That ole guy wasn't about to forget about you, like alot of people would have.
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Step-down

Someone told me once the problem with honest people is they expect everyone to do the same. ........
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Shadetree

Most people are honest, very honest. It is the few that aren't that makes us wary.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Andy

A guy at LARS asked if I had a speedo turtle. Just a regular 21 tooth one. I said I would mail it to him when I got home. He paid me on the spot and we parted. He did not know me from nothing. Never saw him before or since. He got his turtle.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
35 coupe

I have bought several high dollar items through here and only had problems with on guy, he sells banjo wheels on here. I bought one whith the horn button and rod and the center had a crack next to the keyway. He said it would not hurt but I returned it, and he kept 20.00 for shipping, but I paid for shipping, he then told me it was for his time in packing and shipping, I also had to pack and re ship it so total I lost about 40.00 in that venture.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Jay in Mass

It can work both ways. A guy needed a pair of clam shells. I told him that I had a spare set and would send them to him for free. All I asked was would he please just take care of whatever the postage was on the package.
It was just a few bucks, but I never heard from him again.
Would I do it again? "Yes..." I would and I have".
Because most of the guys on this site are good people and I wouldn't let one person spoil it for the other honest guys.
JA
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote