Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2023, 09:23 PM   #21
Grumpy Rick

Default Re: Remember When

About where the money comes from...Galpin Ford is a huge Ford dealership in the LA area.
They even have a museum there.

I was buying a new Mustang GT in 2001, and went there, as they advertised that no one could beat their price. They required that I pick out my car and test drive it before talking to someone about price. I told them exactly what I wanted, and they took me a few miles away to a huge storage lot that must have had well over a hundred Mustangs.

They brought out one, optioned correctly, and I test drove it and confirmed that it was what I wanted. Then, they took me back to the dealership and sat me down with the sales staff. I confirmed that yes, I was ready to buy the car, and finally got to inquire what the price was.

And THAT is when the fight started. (couldn't resist).

No matter which way I worded it, the guy would not state a dollar amount for the car, just wanted to talk about monthly payments. I insisted we first talk about the bottom line before we talk about monthly payments. We went round and round in this ridiculous circular discussion, till he finally called in his 'closer'.

Big deal, he did the same thing, badgering me to sign up for only so much per month, and I never did get that 'lowest price in town'. I never did get any price at all. After two hours of non-dickering, he actually seemed surprised when I walked out. He followed me promising to get the price, and I told him I wouldn't buy from him at any price, and I wouldn't.

I wasted my whole day, and on the way home stopped at my local Ford dealer who was closed by then. Lo and behold, they had just gotten my exact car. I took the numbers off the sticker and called in the morning, asking for the sales manager. Talked price with him on the phone, and got a good deal that day, and got financing from my CU, at the best rate.

Sorry to ramble, true story.

PS: Maroon '01 Mustang GT, 5 speed, all options, tan leather.

Last edited by Grumpy Rick; 11-30-2023 at 09:33 PM.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote