Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Thanks to all that post here with good advice and knowledge.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you in this Fordbarn community for all that I have learned from viewing these posts, and meeting you at the regional and national events. This commentary was also posted on my favorite metal shaping website as well.

I have reached the conclusion of my most recent 'project' and it has turned out quite well thanks in large part to those of you that took the time to share your time, thoughts, ideas and encouragement.

It has taken over seven years to complete, and looking back at the starting photographs, I am a little surprised that it turned out this well. I was VERY intimidated at the start because this Panel Delivery truck was quite rare (only 17 made in 1930) and there were no parts left around and the dorrs and panels were unique to this one truck.

To make a long story short, I picked one part at a time and attended many Model A and many metal shaping events, primarily at the Dutch and Marty Comstock, Kerry Pinkerton and Dan Pates events and others like Brent Terry's as well. At each and every one of these that I attended there was an abundance of help and teaching. I would reveal my lack of memory if I even attempted to begin to try and remember each one of you that helped me.

Those of you that have spent much time with me know that my interests lean towards tools, tooling and machines. The actual metal shaping has been a slow learning process for me, but in hindsight provided by some of these pictures, I am happy with the final product.

I have built the lower half of both front doors, both lower quarter panels, the entire lower 'trunk' area components, both back doors and assorted smaller components, and I am happy to be able to say on the entire truck, everything that is painted gloss black was done with NO bondo. NONE! I traded an old Oldsmobile hit and miss motor for the black paint work.

I felt that the rear doors, trunk and lower door and both quarter panels did not need bondo either, but the 'painter' charged ahead and smeared a light coat on verything at the same time. ( I was dissapointed in that after spending so much time to work out those panels). The green painted areas were done by the folks that painted my previous pickup forFine Point judging.This time I wanted to be the first one to enter a commercial vehicle into Fine Point Judging with the appearance of unpolished lacquer, which is what they were originaly. We decide to try basecoat-clearcoat. I contacted several paint companies, but Spies-Hecker was the most responsive. I inquired about their satin clearcoat and asked them to provide me with the nearest location of a paint batch that was sent out with the lowest reflectivity in the range of their testing. It was only about two hours away and I bought two gallons.

We painted all the interior grey, installed the outer body panels and prepped the bolt on items like the doors, and hood items. Knowing that after the satin clear coat was applied there would be no 'touching up' or 'repairs' possible, we spent three days sanding and painting the interior of the paint booth and just as that paint was flashing off, we rolled in the body and hung the other items and shot the satin clear coat on everything and went home to a sleepless night. It turned out GREAT, and was the talk of the show, because no one had done that before.

The pictures that I have encluded show the open doors, etc., and the one picture shows the first step in the day long judging event. Here they are checking the start and idle, lights, horn. I had the idle set so low that you could actually count the revolutions. That is why they are looking so closely into the engine compartment. There are 23 areas in the manual and there are about 65-70 guys that spend 6-8 hours looking over the smallest detail. Thanks again!

I just returned from Lexington, Kentucky where we received the 'Masters" award. There are no more awards left to be made in M.A.R.C., so I am putting it up for sale. I want to complete some of the other projects that I have in progress.

I have included a link to my website if there is any interest in the restoration process. Click on the photo of the panel truck, then on the 'pink' button that says 'restoration process'. On some of the later pages, there are some colored 'buttons' and if you click on them you can see more details about that photo.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projects/Projects2.html

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

wcTruck.jpg
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Thanks to all that post here with good advice and knowledge.

Very nice project indeed!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Steve Wastler

Outstanding work and truck! Congrats for the master!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Congratulations to one of the nicest, most intelligent persons i know in this hobby...A well deserved award you were given for your hard work and diligence. YOU sir are an asset to this hobby and to Ford Barn, its your posts that i look for, and your comments. Thank you Will for all you have given and will continue to give and your friendship and help on our restoration... Good luck on all our next ventures and projects......Mark Maron
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
fordcoupe

Wonderful job well done
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I feel that encouragement/help through this site is of great importance so someone doesn't quit on their project & cover it up with boxes & crap & forget it for another 17 years, or until the GRIM REAPER puts yo' OBIT in the local RAG! (Sorry for the looong sentence, the Dog was narrating it & I got on a "roll") Bill W.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Ross/Kzoo

Is that 17 dog years or human years?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
RockHillWill

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate your help, input and responses.

I went yesterday to look at my next project. A friend is building a new 4-cylinder land speed record car in the 300 mph range and is getting ready to build the aluminum body for it. Will provide a picture when I find the cable that I lost to download from camera.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
30A

Congratulations on a job well done!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Wick

Looking forward to Seeing you again at Hershey this year Will! I was just on your web site on monday looking to see some up dates on the Speedster! I almost made it out your way a month ago,I was in Troy N.C picking thru Model A parts.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
RockHillWill

Hey Wick, It would have been way cool if you could have stopped by. I have done a little bit more on the speedster, but mostly in preparation for learning the art of gas welding aluminum for assembling the nose, tail and cowl sections.

I have spent the last two days in lower South Carolina talking to a gentleman that is prepping a Cosworth 4-cylinder car for Bonneville, expecting to run near 300 mph. The car is 30" wide and 29 feet long, and he is talking to me about helping him make some bucks for the use in making an aluminum body for the attempt. The car is already built and the motor runs.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Will I will be getting those part numbers to you for Val and the other Items we spoke about in Lexington...great to see you as always!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7463.jpg (38.6 KB, 43 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
RockHillWill

VERY nice picture, thankfully Val is in it.

I am going to have to buy a tie of my own now, the guy I have been borrowing that one from has moved out west.

This dressing up is new to me.

I, among many, am very appreciative of the effort both you and Val provide in your contribution as Judges for the Fine Point events. It is nice that there are folks willing to put forth their own effort on behalf of others. In the world of 'givers' and 'takers', you both are high quality 'givers'.

Thank you both!

Last edited by RockHillWill; 07-10-2013 at 07:19 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
Wick

Is that your Daughter? The land speed car sounds like a good project. i will look forward to some pictures!
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
RockHillWill

Good morning, Wick.

That is Mrs. Maron, Marks wife Val. Both Mark and Val are valued friends and we share several things in common.

They have not seen me dressed like that very often, and probably wanted the picture for posterity. LOL., but I loved it. Who wouldn't.