Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
oldspert

Default engine vibration part 2

After getting replies about my engine vibration, I checked the rubber insulators between the frame and the rear mount. Looks like both sides are non existent. Worn away by years of driving.
Will I need a frame spreader to replace these? If so, I am mechanical enough (retired engineer) to build one.
Is there any info on using the Float-A-Motor mounts?

Last edited by oldspert; 10-26-2023 at 06:24 PM.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:54 PM   #2
Robbie Horn

Default Re: engine vibration part 2

I replaced mine using a porta power between the bellhousing & frame rails one side at a time. The frame doesn't have to be spread very much at all. I still have vibration when I get over 45mph. When I get on the highway I add timing & lean out the gav & it runs smooth but starts vibrating at 45mph. Can go 44mph with no vibration. I think they all do that from other owners that I have talked to.
Robbie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
mass A man

A small bottle jack and a chunk of wood will do it too. The vibration could be normal if it's small, otherwise a bent or sagging frame might set up a vibration. The sag can twist the whole running gear out of alignment a bit to vibrate at some speeds.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:11 PM   #4
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Horn View Post
I replaced mine using a porta power between the bellhousing & frame rails one side at a time. The frame doesn't have to be spread very much at all. I still have vibration when I get over 45mph. When I get on the highway I add timing & lean out the gav & it runs smooth but starts vibrating at 45mph. Can go 44mph with no vibration. I think they all do that from other owners that I have talked to.
Mine runs nice and smooth at 45mph. It gets a little buzzy around 55mph, but no serious vibrations or rattles
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:01 PM   #5
Robbie Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
Mine runs nice and smooth at 45mph. It gets a little buzzy around 55mph, but no serious vibrations or rattles
Mine must have a lower rear end ratio than yours. I checked my u joints & they are tight. Been planning on removing the oil pan & checking bearing clearances. Hopefully it has some shims & if the bearings are too loose I can remove some shims. I've been trying to find a good rebuildable motor & also looking for someone in my area or kinda close that does babbit. Haven't had any luck on either. So I just keep driving & enjoying it , just stay under 45 mph.LOL I live close to Waco & once i get there 45 mph is fast enough to get around anywhere in Waco. I live in the country & have a path on backroads to get to waco witout getting on the highways.
Robbie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 11:03 PM   #6
oldspert

I am going by the 29 I drove in high school in 1959. I lived 8 miles out in the country and drove into town every day. I know I could drive 55 with no problems. Of course the car was only 30 years old then.
When I bought that car I had to re-ring it and it had already been bored .080 so it ran very well.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:03 AM   #7
nkaminar

Use of the Float-A-Motor is controversial. There is a contention that the rear of the engine forms another cross link for the frame and that the Float-A-Motor removes that link. The Float-A-Motor was probably a solution to worn out or non-functioning original rubber isolation pads in the back. Even with the Float-A-Motor mounts the rubber at the frame rails should be replaced.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Use of the Float-A-Motor is controversial. There is a contention that the rear of the engine forms another cross link for the frame and that the Float-A-Motor removes that link.
Agree that the cross link would be eliminated but would that be a problem since most of the A's on the road today will never see any hard bumpy roads that would twist the frame. I know mine will never see more than maybe a hundred mile tour on modern roads.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:03 PM   #9
BVZ24

I went from a squished front and rear float motor back to stock and found I had significantly less vibration. The old floater pucks were crushed about 1/2 way and rock hard. The stock mount has rubber between the bracket and frame as the insulation, and the bolts shouldn't be cranked tight. I had a hard time finding rear mounts without cracks, eventually welded a cracked pair. The original front mount is already essentially a floater. Stock makes an engine swap a little more difficult, but how often should one do that?
BVZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #10
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVZ24 View Post
I went from a squished front and rear float motor back to stock and found I had significantly less vibration. The old floater pucks were crushed about 1/2 way and rock hard.
How old was the rubber pucks in the float motor system?
Old 10-27-2023, 06:33 PM   #11
BVZ24

Couldn't tell you. Inherited it that way. If I had to guess, as old as the restoration, 30 ish years.
BVZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:37 PM   #12
grudicil

This discussion got me thinking. I replaced my original rear motor mount rubber pads when restoring the car in 1980 and I haven't given them a thought since. Should the rubber pads be replaced every few years to minimize vibrations between the engine and frame?

Gary
grudicil is offline   Reply With Quote