Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
mitchmanfc

Default Starter Not Working (Just Humming)

Needless Prose
So I've embarked on the great and ambitous journey of getting all of the Mitchell Manufacturing cars up and running again as none of them have been driven for ~10+ years. On the positive they have all been stored indoors and dry. The other rub is that while I'm a very competent grape farmer and a decent computer programer and builder, I haven't spent a lot of time as a mechanic. I'm also trying to get my post count up so I can feel as cool as the rest of you..

So Car One is the 1929 Coupe.. Doesn't have a name apparently.. the other cars do.. I'll probably name this after my Grandma Sue, though I think I'll spare everyone the explination on why.

Actual Post Content

I'm working on getting the 1929 Coupe running. I've changed all fluids, put in a new charged battery, and gave the tires a good refill... Next goal was let see if she starts.

When the starter button is pressed all I get is a hum. So I took a look around the car to se potential culprits.
1. The little fuse on the top of the starter has broken arms on the fuse holder. The fuse is making good contact and we are getting the hum, but it might be restricting the flow enough to prevent turning over
2. Some how the Ametere is falling out. Maybe it's grouding itself out on the frame or something causing insuffcient voltage.
3. Still looking for my dad's multi meter to do more investigation.....

I think the most likely is the starter is bunked up from sitting for ten years, but was looking for thoughts or ideas... I already whacked it with a hammer.. didn't work but felt great.

Thanks in Advance
Blair Mitchell
https://mitchelloverdrives.com/contact/
mitchmanfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Starter Not Working (Just Humming)

Blair, the fuse on the starter should not have anything to do with the starter turning over. That fuse is there to protect the rest of the car's wiring.

Sounds like your Bendix may be jammed into the flywheel. There are numerous threads on this issue on Ford Barn. It is a common problem with the original type starter drive.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
abachman3

With the car in third gear, rock the car forwards and backwards as best as possible. If you get a loud clunk, the starter Bendix has loosened itself and the starter should work again as normal.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #4
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmanfc View Post
Needless Prose
So I've embarked on the great and ambitous journey of getting all of the Mitchell Manufacturing cars up and running again as none of them have been driven for ~10+ years. On the positive they have all been stored indoors and dry. The other rub is that while I'm a very competent grape farmer and a decent computer programer and builder, I haven't spent a lot of time as a mechanic. I'm also trying to get my post count up so I can feel as cool as the rest of you..

So Car One is the 1929 Coupe.. Doesn't have a name apparently.. the other cars do.. I'll probably name this after my Grandma Sue, though I think I'll spare everyone the explination on why.

Actual Post Content

I'm working on getting the 1929 Coupe running. I've changed all fluids, put in a new charged battery, and gave the tires a good refill... Next goal was let see if she starts.

When the starter button is pressed all I get is a hum. So I took a look around the car to se potential culprits.
1. The little fuse on the top of the starter has broken arms on the fuse holder. The fuse is making good contact and we are getting the hum, but it might be restricting the flow enough to prevent turning over
2. Some how the Ametere is falling out. Maybe it's grouding itself out on the frame or something causing insuffcient voltage.
3. Still looking for my dad's multi meter to do more investigation.....

I think the most likely is the starter is bunked up from sitting for ten years, but was looking for thoughts or ideas... I already whacked it with a hammer.. didn't work but felt great.

Thanks in Advance
Blair Mitchell
Fully charged New Battery!!!
Old 12-01-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
Gold Digger

The engine isn't locked up from setting so long is it?
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:14 PM   #6
oldspert

Will the engine turn by using the hand crank?
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:54 PM   #7
nkaminar

Most likely the engine is jammed as others have suggested. My advice is to take the starter out and turn it over by hand. Take the band off and make sure the brushes are moving up and down in their guides. Sometimes the brushes can be stuck and not contacting the armature. Test the starter on the bench with a battery. The polarity does not matter. Use a jumper cable. Take the starter switch off. Clamp one end on an ear of the starter and contact the button where the starter switch normally makes contact. If OK, oil the bearings and put it back in the car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #8
Bigsnapper43

I would suggest removing the 'plugs and adding some type of penetrant and let it soak!!
Bigsnapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:18 PM   #9
David in San Antonio

If the Bendix gear is stuck and you try to roll the car a few inches forward and back in gear to un-stick it, the best advice I can give you is: release the handbrake before attempting it five or six times. Ask me how I know.
Alamo A’s Club

Last edited by David in San Antonio; 12-01-2023 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Edited for hopelessly incompetent typing.
David in San Antonio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:45 PM   #10
Phil Brown

Had a starter motor once that was sitting for who knows how long that the bendex was all gummed up and would not let the gear portion spin down the spiral shaft to engage the flywheel. The starter motor just hummed along spinning. Remove the starter and a few drops of oil on the Bendix shaft to free things up and and get them working might help
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #11
midgetracer

If the Bendix is locked on the flywheel, the starter will be almost impossible to remove. Try the rocking motion backwards with the transmission in high gear. It could also be that the bolt on the bendix is broken leaving the starter to run and not engage the flywheel.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #12
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in San Antonio View Post
If the Bendix gear is stuck and you try to roll the car a few inches forward and back in gear to un-stick it, the best advice I can give you is: release the handbrake before attempting it five or six times. Ask me how I know.
Also, be sure the key is off. Don’t ask how I know that.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:50 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Also, be sure the key is off. Don’t ask how I know that.
Good point.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:20 AM   #14
mitchmanfc

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I'm gonna give all of it a try this weekend as soon as the xmas lights are up and the other list of parent tasks is complete.. (something about a roof on a pump house).

My Summary of Order of Operations to try with quick starter checks in between. I probably missed something, but I'm sure I'll re read later

Troubleshooting Plan
  • 0. Light Motor Oil Lamps on the Car Gods Shrine
  • 1. Rock it in 3rd gear (Key and Parking Brake not Engaged)
  • 1.5. See if I have a crank starter and see what happens (will also see if the engine is seized and mean I can skip the gym)
  • 2. Loosen Starter and give it some love taps to see if the Bendix Resets
  • 3. Remove starter if possible(More Love Taps) and test it with Jumper Cables etc
  • 4. Further Inspect the starter per the directions in nkaminar's post
  • 5. Give the starter a couple drops of Oil and reinstall
  • 6. Hope and Pray
I really appreciate everyone's responses to my question, and if it wouldn't just create a lot of extra posts for people to read through later I'd respond to each personally with a thank you.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:08 PM   #15
Marshall V. Daut

The poster says the starter hums. If the Bendix drive were locked against the ring gear, you'd hear nothing. Not even a clunk. I suspect that a Bendix gear bolt has sheared off, allowing the starter shaft to spin = a humming sound. Put your palm on the side of the starter and depress the starter rod. If you hear and feel a hum, that tells you the Bendix drive is not engaging, either because of a sheared bolt or a broken spring, although the latter would also produce a clunking sound as the drive spun and the broken spring clattered. In any case, it would be best to remove the starter and examine the Bendix drive and spring. A broken Bendix bolt will be obvious.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
Synchro909

I thought exactly the same, Marshall. If the engine is seized, the OP might hear the Bendix engage the flywheel but then, nothing - no humming sound. IMO, a broken or missing Bendix bolt is about the only likely culprit.

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-02-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:39 PM   #17
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
The poster says the starter hums. If the Bendix drive were locked against the ring gear, you'd hear nothing. Not even a clunk. I suspect that a Bendix gear bolt has sheared off, allowing the starter shaft to spin = a humming sound. Put your palm on the side of the starter and depress the starter rod. If you hear and feel a hum, that tells you the Bendix drive is not engaging, either because of a sheared bolt or a broken spring, although the latter would also produce a clunking sound as the drive spun and the broken spring clattered. In any case, it would be best to remove the starter and examine the Bendix drive and spring. A broken Bendix bolt will be obvious.
Marshall

Exactly! I saw all the posts talking about jammed Bendix, but if it is humming that tells me that the starter armature is turning. If it were jammed, it would not. It should be able to be removed easily. However, if there are bits of a bolt and washers down in the flywheel housing, you will need to fish them out with a magnet on a flexible thingie to gt the bits out.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #18
mitchmanfc

Hey Everyone,
Again all the thank you for the advice. I dropped the starter yesterday and took it apart and inspected it, well actually did that twice because I hadn't had all my coffee..
  • Starter came out with out any undue force.
  • Nothing looked Obviously Broken
  • Jumper Cables were able to make the starter turn no issue
  • The Bendix gear does not move down the shaft when rotating
I did give it a little (to much and too heavy) of oil to see if lubrication would help, before I did some more reading in the forums that I should really be cleaning it fully with a good solvent or kerosene (I have access to proper parts washing station, the whole transmission shop thing) and then lightly lubricate.
So I'm gonna try that and see if I can get it to move properly. I think we have an extra Bendix around the shop anyways so I might end up just replacing the whole.

Thanks and I'll keep updating and likely post pictures. This old car will run again and will take me wine tasting. I'm still trying to decide what friend gets put in the rumble seat after a big lunch.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:26 PM   #19
Phil Brown

try and keep the solvent out of the motor section as best as you can, and a very light oil works best. your favorite peneratrating oil should get it working good.
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:39 PM   #20
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Exactly! I saw all the posts talking about jammed Bendix, but if it is humming that tells me that the starter armature is turning. If it were jammed, it would not. It should be able to be removed easily. However, if there are bits of a bolt and washers down in the flywheel housing, you will need to fish them out with a magnet on a flexible thingie to gt the bits out.
I think in this senecio it wouldn't hum it would be whirring.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote