Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
oldredford

Default Day late and a dollar short

I have a very uneasy feeling about installing a complete made in china clutch kit bought from a well known vendor. The vendor says they are good. Now, no excuse but my own, I find out I could of had my USA clutch rebuilt by Ft. Wayne Clutch company. I don't mind paying more for USA made parts. So my big question is what am I to expect out of this China clutch kit?

Jerry
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Chris in CT

Default Re: Day late and a dollar short

Hi Jerry, Nothing but the best! I am aware that there has been alot of bad press around Chinese parts, but did it ever occur to anyone that the problem is that the purchaser spect'd them out to be made as cheaply as possible? That the original company manufacturing these items sent the manufacturing overseas to reduce labor, safety, and pension costs? I don't know what modern car you presently drive, but I'll bet you that a good many components of that automobile are sourced in China. That being said, why don't you return the undamaged Chinese parts to the vendor, and have your original clutch rebuilt in Fort Wayne? Happy Motoring!
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would check it over very carefully for quality control. See that all the lining rivets are tight and the springs are secure in their pockets. Check the pressure plate fingers for even engagement with the T/O bearing.

I always put a small bit of grease on every pivot point of the pressure plate fingers and on the contact points with the T/O bearing.

Not just China, but any product from any country needs to be checked over. Quality control isn't what it used to be.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
'29wagon

Jerry,
I think every one will hate you from now on. Is there a way to return it and buy something made here? No, I'm kidding about the hate part but that vender you're dealing with should present the manufactures location prior to your purchase, like Mac's does, no I haven't purchased yet from catalog venders but those that state parts built here with quality will get my order first.
It's a better build American car, I'd say keep it American .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Tom Endy

Most of the clutches I have seen carried by Model A suppliers do not have the six springs secured adequately.They appear to be stuck in an open window and held there by their own spring tension. I have seen several of these fail with one or more spring becoming dislodged and jamming the clutch. I will not use these clutch disks.

A number of years ago there was a company called Nova (now out of business) that was contracted to the government to produce clutch disks (I suspect for Ford jeeps). The ones they made for the Model A had little "grabbers" on both sides of each spring to prevent them from becoming dislodged.

I have picked up a number of Nova clutch disks (Nova is stamped on the disk) at swap meets with little wear on them. I bead blast them and measure the thickness. Both my Model A's have such a clutch disk installed.

One of my fellow club members recently ordered a clutch disk from Bratton's and I was surprised to see it had the little "grabbers" around each spring. If there are quality clutch disks around, Walt will find them.

Tom Endy

Last edited by Tom Endy; 09-25-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
ford1

the china clutches are usually to thick and wont release completely when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor, take the others advice, return the clutch and have yours rebuilt, it a lot of work to remove the trans just because you were sold a junk clutch
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
John LaVoy

I don't know if you saw the article about installing a diaphragm clutch in the Model A you can pick up the pieces locally and it is a modern clutch like those found in cars today. It was in Vol 6 Issue 2 of the Model A Times, Joe Way, who posts here quite regularly, wrote the article.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote