Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Robert Dip

Default '32 Coupe does not sit level

What does one normally do when the car leans more on one side than the other. In this case, my 5W sits 3/4" lower on the 'wrong side...the driver side....to make it worse, the side we sit in driving alone mostly. The springs were changed to new...same problem as before. I tried rocking & rolling on the passenger side running board in an attempt to straighten...but stubborn car goes back where it wants. It's a stock frame and everything looks straight, but who knows. The only remedy I can think of is to make a wedge piece between the cross member and spring in order to level it. Seems to me that I had this problem many years ago...but memory fails as to what I did. I am sure I am not the only one here....as the level is totally dependent on the U-bolt attachments front & back. Would appreciate comments here....Robert
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
SUHRsc

Default Re: '32 Coupe does not sit level

Try putting the frame only on jack stands and let the axles hang.. see if something is noticeable then.

Are your shackles the same on both sides for sure?

Good luck!
Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Andy

Jack up the rear with the jack centered under the rear end. If it sits level, the problem is in the rear. If it still leans, problem in front. Reach up and see if the square spring centerbolt heads are in the holes in the crossmembers. Sometimes they are not in place and the car will lean.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Robert Dip

I believe the idea of having the car level on jack stands and checking the tire height as the wheels are not supported makes good sense. The only problem here is to make sure the shocks are not holding up the axles. Yes, all of the other tid-bits are OK...spring bolt head in the hole, shocks, shackle length, etc. If all fails to give results, I will machine out a fine wedge to place between x-member and spring...the more I think of this....the more I believe that I had already done this many, many moons ago. It's an easy fix...for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Krylon32

I to have used a wedge to level the car if all else fails. I've used aluminum pinion wedges from a front end shop.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Robert Dip

Andy.....your comments are really a good idea to jack up the car at the rear center and see how it stands. In doing so, it did not change, so I also tried the front...lift the car by the axle center and see what happens in the back...no change. I thought for sure I would get a difference, but not so. Thanks

Krylon 32....yep...back to wedge idea....Thanks.

Anybody else out there with comments.....it seems that this is not a new problem with old Fords.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
65hawk

Robert our 5 window had same issues front spring cracked , rear was also cracked , replaced both and still leaned looked at rear end panel under the rumble lid and that piece is out of line so it makes the car look uneven . I need to figure out how to aling this piece so the car does look level which it is , but doesn't look like it is . Hope this helps .

Last edited by 65hawk; 04-08-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Align I meant
65hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
1931 flamingo

Try tightening the U bolt on the right side and/or loosening the bolt on the left in the rear. When I had my coupe it leaned also, when I got out I just pushed the body to the right and left it level. Back in the 60's didn't really care if it sat level.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote