Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
johndee138

Default 1936 headlights and alternatives

I put the Spadaro halogen headlight upgrade in my stock 36 headlamps and as he stated the 36 lenses don't focus the beam AT ALL. I light up the WHOLE road. Not really what the Dr. ordered. I have a sealed beam adapter set up but it isn't really very good looking and I was wondering if I could put a different set of lenses in the doors to improve the focus to ahead instead of all around. The 36 lenses do look great and I am considering a visor to put some of the light back downwards. I don't really drive at night much but when I do I get LOTS of flashing headlights from oncoming traffic requesting lo beam with the stock setup.
Any suggestions?
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
jacob smith

Default Re: 1936 headlights and alternatives

I am doing this now on my 36. Are you running 6 or 12 volt. I run 6v. I am adding a 6 volt regulator in place of my cut out on the original generator. I am doing this so I can run the genorator at 15 amps all the time without overcharging the system. I also added a set of fog lights to help in the really dark nights. ( I live in a rural area) . I have sent the reflectors out to be nickel plated and then to uvira 541-474-5050. They do a glass coating used in the medical field. My understanding is that halogen is not better then the original bulbs. A 50w build is a 50w bulbs. What halogen does is stop the carbon from sticking to the inside of the glass bulb over time therefore the builds stay bright for there life.

I have not installed a relay on the headlights ( I did on the fog lights) when I get this all completed if I am not happy I will add the relay using the following set up that I got from another member on the ford barn

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...8&d=1447292642

Last edited by jacob smith; 01-17-2016 at 08:03 PM.
jacob smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
milo

Sealed beams in mine, who can tell...

Last edited by milo; 01-29-2019 at 02:52 PM.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
moefuzz

"yours" isn't a 36

moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
mrtexas

Bob drake has new reflectors for 36 that are made for halogens. I bought a pair and they are pretty good. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...48-13027-QK-12
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
cas3

looks like 36 buckets on that model A coupe. looks nice. i have sealed beams in one of my A's, but they do not hide in there as well as under the big 36 lens. sure is nice to see at night though
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
johndee138

My car is 12v. The issue isnt the reflector its the lens itself. the 36 lens is different than all the others in that it doesnt focus the light to a point like the flatter lenses do. It is way more rounded and the "Fresnel" effect of a focused beam is not obtained in the 36 lens. It does look nice in the daytime though. Can I put a flatter lens in my 36 doors or do I need new/different door lens combination, and does anyone know what might work?
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
mrtexas

IMHO the problem is the reflector.

"Each style features our modern reflectors, carefully designed by our optical engineers to correctly project modern Halogen candle power through original-style glass lenses. This produces a super bright light beam that shines where you need it without sacrificing the original headlight appearance. These kits offer the brightest, safest lighting ever available. "
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #9
rich b

My daughter put one of Bob Drake's halogen conversion kits that included reflectors in her '36. She says it works well. Looks like it is only 12 volts tho.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #10
koates

Jacob, I don't think nickel plating your original Ford reflectors is the correct thing to do. I and many others have always used SILVER plating which is far superior and was what they were when new. Also you could contact 'Classic and Vintage Bulbs" in Australia who make new QH bulbs in 6 & 12 volt with the correct pre focus flanged base for your 36 Ford. These QH bulbs have their filaments mounted in the exact correct positions to project the light beams correctly via your original Ford reflector and lens. By using a H4 QH type bulb with your original components it will never be in focus and just throw the light all over the place. Also only buy 35 watt 6 volt bulbs. With 60 watt bulbs your original generator will never keep up. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

H4 bulbs have the filament front---rear, original bulbs have filament side by side, different reflectors---lens system, won't get proper focus using worng bulbs for system

I have been using Anthonys bulbs for many years in original lens reflector systems, a 35 watt bulb in a proper focus/lens will make more usable light than a 65 watt bulb with bad focus---it may look brighter looking at the headlight from a few feet, but it is down the road that counts
The model A generator system handles 35 watt bulbs good, 50 watt if you convert other bulbs to LED, the 36 generator makes more amps,but not enough for long term use of 65 watt, could work with 50 if adjusted for it and drive enough in daylight with lights off

the 35 watt lights in my A light up more road than seal beams ---with less than perfect reflectors

There are several "brands" of direct fit halogen bulbs, some don't have proper filament placement---so far off that just looking at several bulbs you can see the filaments are all at different angles
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
RalphM

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the 35 lenses are flatter than 36 and fit perfectly, I would give them a try.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
terry

I did what Jacob did and sent my relectors to Uvira in Oregon. had to get them nickel plated first as well. I think its a highly polished coat of aluminum that Uvira puts over the nickel. When I installed them with Ron Francis brite bulbs it was a great improvement over the original headlights. My 36 is 12v but I think the brite bulbs are also offered for 6v systems. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote