Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2022, 10:31 PM   #1
28CCPU

Default 1928 Closed Cab

I’m hoping I can get a few opinions from the members here on how much a fair value for my truck is. I’m having a heck of a time determining the value as project prices are all over the place. I also have emotional attachment which is clouding my judgment on the price.

Info on the truck: 1928 Closed Cab Pickup, not running, no title. Truck cranks over but I believe there is a spark issue preventing it from starting.

At some point in the past the interior and top were redone and the truck looks like it may have been repainted. I know that it has been in the same condition as it sits now since at least the early 1970’s if not longer. It has always been stored indoors and is super solid. I replaced the coolant hoses, water pipe, bulkhead, water pump, fan, fuel valve, and starter but have run out of time to work on it. The bed is leaning to the left, I haven’t been able to investigate why. There are no side windows or rear glass. The truck needs a lot of love but is solid and rust free which I hope will make it a candidate to be restored instead of parted out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220608_080149.jpg (92.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 20220608_080220.jpg (68.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 20220608_080339.jpg (92.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20220608_080750.jpg (77.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20220608_080852.jpg (64.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20220608_080404.jpg (94.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 20220608_080541.jpg (46.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by 28CCPU; 06-21-2022 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Additonal info
28CCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:18 AM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: 1928 Closed Cab

1928 Closed Cab Pickup. 28CCPU needs help getting it running.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:05 AM   #3
nkaminar

It does need some work. An easy way to value a car is to take the refurbished value and then subtract the cost of bringing it up to that level. My guess is that a good closed cab pickup in today's market would bring $12,000, more or less. I am also going to guess that it would take $4,000, not including labor, to bring it up to a level. To fully restore it would take much more money and labor. The value also depends on the location. The same car in a rural area will not bring as much as in a metropolitan area. The best thing to do to raise the value would be to get it running, whether you do the work or have someone else do it. Getting a title will also increase the value of the car.

The problem with selling a car at a low price is that a rodder will buy it and make it into a hot rod. I have nothing against rod rods but like to see original cars kept that way.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-09-2022 at 07:11 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
jack backer
BANNED

It’s worth it to get it running.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #5
ndnchf

No title is a deal killer too. To many guys, that knocks the value down considerably.
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #6
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post

The problem with selling a car at a low price is that a rodder will buy it and make it into a hot rod. I have nothing against rod rods but like to see original cars kept that way.
Too many nice old vehicles are being destroyed by the rodders. Once they are torn apart and modified, their intrinsic value as a restored vehicle is gone forever.

I'd hate to see that happen to your 28CCPU, because it has real possibility as a restored vehicle.

I've been following prices on BAT and eBay the past few years, and my opinion is pickups and roadsters seem to be the most desirable of model A's in the current market. You will have no problem finding someone who enthusiastically wants your 28CCPU, but the current economy means there will be less people who have the extra cash to buy it.

IMHO, in the current market, your 28CCPU is worth in the neighborhood of $8-10,000. Add value for running condition, and a title. If you're looking for a quick sale, you'll probably get less, unless you just happen to run across that person who has been looking for exactly what you have.....and, that's a very real possibility.

Top tier restored Model A Ford CCPU's are bringing over $20,000 these days!

A coupe or 2dr sedan will bring a few grand less....because less desirable.

eog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 CCPU May 22 2022 (1).jpg (110.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Eccentric Old Guy; 06-09-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
katy

Nice looking truck!
Old 06-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
28CCPU

Thank you everyone for the comments, suggestions, and opinions! This is very, very helpful. I wish I didn't need to sell and I wish I had more time to invest into getting it running and getting it titled but circumstances are what they are. It is a solid truck that definitely deserves to be restored rather than hot rodded.
28CCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #9
Mike Peters

In Wisconsin, we have a legal procedure to title old vehicles such as yours. Basically, you pay a $100 bonding fee and you are given a bonded Wisconsin title. After 5 years, if no one claims your vehicle is stolen, you get an original title. I've titled 4 Model A's that I've bought over the years and no problems.
Conclusion: Sell that nice 28 pickup to someone living in Wisconsin. Also, get it running. It likely just needs a new set of points if no spark. I hope your truck doesn't become a hot rod victim, echoing what others have said.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:35 PM   #10
nkaminar

Not sure of where in Arizona you live, but there is bound to be a local Model A club nearby. You could ask for help in getting it running. I will bet it is less than a 4 hour job for the right person. Sometimes it only takes 20 minutes.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote