Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #1
Dirtrack49

Default Oil Extractor

Now that I've become all crippled up in my old age, I have been spending time trying to come up with different methods of being able to service my cars.
One item that looks promising is an item that is referred to as an "Oil Extractor." This is normally used I am guessing on more modern cars that have a long dip stick tube. Where you insert a plastic tube into the dipstick tube and suck the oil out of the oil pan. Thinking it should work on a Model A if you insert it into either the dipstick hole or through the oil filler.
Anyone out there have any experience using such a device? TIA.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
Bruce of MN

Default Re: Oil Extractor

A suction pump should work fine with the breather tube pulled out.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:06 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Where I work has a system built in, for many years Mercedes put the oil filters on top, the dipstick tube went to the bottom of the pan.
There are some small tubing probes we use, they don’t work that good, ok for taking a small amount of hot oil out,
The A dipstick hole is too small to work effectively, the oil would have to be very hot to flow ( for mercedes the hose is about 3/8)
The A oil fill tube has baffles and the dipper tray only has a hole where the dipstick goes through so for the A it is not practical
perhaps if a very thin wall metal tube is used through the dipstick tube along with using thin oil and extraction hot you could eventually drain the pan with a system that creates a high vacuum, but if there are any chunks the probe will clog easily.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:16 PM   #4
rustyparts

They use a small tube and it go's down the oil dip stick tube and sucks the oil out. They use it on boat motor.
rustyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 12:19 PM   #5
Bob Bidonde

The problems I see are:
> The dip stick hole in the block is too small for a reasonable diameter tube;
> Another problem is getting the suction tube past the dip tray and into the oil pan.
I am thinking that you can modify the oil pan by putting a hole in its side below the dip tray, and welding a steel pipe to the hole. You can extend the pipe up into the engine compartment, and thread its end for a screw-on cap. You can locate the pipe so comes up alongside of the existing breather tube and you can clamp the new pipe to the breather.
An alternative idea is to replace the existing drain plug with a pipe and route the pipe up into the engine compartment. Make a bracket that attaches to the a couple of oil pan bolts so you can clamp the suction pipe to it.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 11-25-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:56 AM   #6
Jim/GA

The "suction tube through the dipstick hole" approach is used by many Model A guys out there who don't feel like crawling under a car any more. It works fine if the oil is good and hot. My experience is that it will not quite drain all of the used oil out, but it's close enough.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #7
Dirtrack49

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I think I might give it a try. I can always use it on some of my more modern cars.
Does anyone have experience with an electrical extractor pump vs. the vacuum canister type? I am wondering why you would need the canister type when you could simply dispense of the oil into a used oil container?
Jim/GA, that is exactly my problem. Going under the car has become very difficult due to my inability to get myself back up.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrack49 View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I think I might give it a try. I can always use it on some of my more modern cars.
Does anyone have experience with an electrical extractor pump vs. the vacuum canister type? I am wondering why you would need the canister type when you could simply dispense of the oil into a used oil container?
Jim/GA, that is exactly my problem. Going under the car has become very difficult due to my inability to get myself back up.
Mine is the vacuum type with canister on floor. Create a vacuum with a T-handle like a tire pump. First got it for boat, then used it on generator. Also works on the A. I never considered an electric one (was not aware of them until today).

Your point about pumping directly into the used oil container is a good one. Transferring from the canister to the used oil container has always been messy.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:26 PM   #9
Gene F

I understand about getting under there. However, I want all the "heavy" particles to come out, and they are on the bottom. For 1 x per yr, is there a son, or grandson that can come over and put on a pair of rubber gloves and do it? Oil and grease gun can go fairly quick if you have your correct tool(s) in hand when you get down there, and have a grease gun under there.

I understand the point you are making though. Besides, sometimes they end up wanting, or with the car after we pass on, and knowing the basics is good.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:04 PM   #10
Jim/GA

I agree that it is probably better to drain the heavy, nasty sludge out of the bottom of the oil pan through the larger drain hole.

My local "jiffy lube" place will gladly grease the chassis on my '63 Riviera for me, for no charge, just for the joy of being able to work on something different and interesting. It is so much easier for them to do from below, in their pit, than it is for me. (I need a lift.)

I have never asked them about greasing the Model A chassis. On a car with modern grease fittings, it should be easy for them, if they can find all of the grease points.

They could probably also change the oil, if you trust them to not screw it up.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:08 PM   #11
katy

It sounds like you need a 4 post hoist.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #12
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
I agree that it is probably better to drain the heavy, nasty sludge out of the bottom of the oil pan through the larger drain hole.

My local "jiffy lube" place will gladly grease the chassis on my '63 Riviera for me, for no charge, just for the joy of being able to work on something different and interesting. It is so much easier for them to do from below, in their pit, than it is for me. (I need a lift.)

I have never asked them about greasing the Model A chassis. On a car with modern grease fittings, it should be easy for them, if they can find all of the grease points.

They could probably also change the oil, if you trust them to not screw it up.
There are a couple of Jiffy Lube places near me but I’ve been afraid to take my car there for an oil change because they have bad reviews. I guess with a name like Jiffy LUBE they would still do lube jobs.

Luckily I also have a Valvoline Instant Oil Change nearby that has good reviews on Yelp. I’ll check with them to see if they do lube jobs.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:27 PM   #13
JoeCB

Every engine in a boat has its oil changed using the vacuum method.

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 09:50 PM   #14
nkaminar

I concur with Joe B. In my boat you could not get to the drain bolt in the bottom of the pan and there was no room for a container put put under it if you could get to it. I used the manual suction system through the dip stick hole but there are electric versions.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:36 AM   #15
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
Every engine in a boat has its oil changed using the vacuum method.

Joe B

yes, but i assume they use modern 'detergent' oil and an oil filter?
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:39 AM   #16
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrack49 View Post
Now that I've become all crippled up in my old age, I have been spending time trying to come up with different methods of being able to service my cars.
One item that looks promising is an item that is referred to as an "Oil Extractor." This is normally used I am guessing on more modern cars that have a long dip stick tube. Where you insert a plastic tube into the dipstick tube and suck the oil out of the oil pan. Thinking it should work on a Model A if you insert it into either the dipstick hole or through the oil filler.
Anyone out there have any experience using such a device? TIA.

Two thoughts cross my mind...

- there is no special knowledge necessary that a 'modern' filling station service guy could not do an oil change on an a. It should be self-explanatory and easy to do if you stay next to him.

- Maybe it's time for an update, put an oil filter system in your A: get modern oil and extend service intervals to 3.000 miles?
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #17
nkaminar

I took my A to Jiffy Lube once. I brought an oil filter in case they did not have the one my car uses. The crew there loved working on the car. They checked the oil level in the transmission and rear end and overdrive too. They can grease the car but I told them that I would do that. If you use a special engine oil, bring that along too.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:04 AM   #18
Jim/GA

I was on a long tour once and needed to change my oil in Tupelo, Miss. I did it in the hotel parking lot. Kind of a pain. I decided after that that I should have found a quick oil change place to do it for me. I had the oil, they would just dump and refill.

I am most concerned about the kids messing up the oil drain plug threads in the pan (over tightening or cross threading). Except for that, an oil change in a Model A is pretty bulletproof.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #19
Bob Bidonde

I find Jiffy Lube to be extremely expensive.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #20
Big hammer

Took my modern to Walmart for an oil change, took oil with me but didn’t think about the filter. They drained the oil and couldn’t use my oil because it was in their computer? And then they didn’t have a filter, didn’t their computer tell them that they didn’t have one before they started? They put oil in and I then went and found a filter, 2 1/2 hours later? Think I’ll take my A and have a good laugh at them ! Maybe they will just laugh at me !