Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
B_man_Al

Default Canadian Date Codes

Attached is a picture of the date code on my 8BA engine. There seems to be two different stampings, LC and a lighter D9. THis doesn't jive with the US numbering system. Does anyone have a cross reference to the Canadian scheme?

Thanks Al
B_man_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
B_man_Al

Default Re: Canadian Date Codes

Now with the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serial numbers.jpg (40.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
ford38v8

Kube, I think you misinterpreted the picture. The mold numbers are cast in, yes, but the question was about the stamped letters/number on the deck.

B man, I cannot identify your stampings with certainty, but there were sometimes identifying marks at that location when blocks included a running change, and those blocks were to be installed in vehicles and sold local to the Rouge for ease of tracking future service requirements. This would apply to American blocks, and I haven't a clue as to whether it would also be true with Canadian blocks. As to a numbering system, the serial number would have been on the transmission anyway, not the block during the V8 era.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
B_man_Al

ford38v8. I'm looking for a block ID, not a serial number. From a document I have,the format of the US numbers is as follows, and is located where mine is:

The format is "Letter/Number/Number/Letter" corresponding to Month/day,day/year (last digit). Each letter represents a number, but they are not sequential in either the alphabet or the numbering sequence.

For example if the block was stamped "L25R" this would be L=3 = mar, 25 = 25th, R=9= 1949, so it was built on Mar 25 1949
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
ford38v8

B man, That is interesting, I haven't heard of that document, and would be interested in hearing more about it please? I imagine it to be a Candian document? When was it dated? Does it specify the deck location of the block as yours is stamped? What else can you tell us please? To many of us down here, the Canadian Ford and how things were done up there are just not well known at all.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_man_Al View Post
ford38v8. I'm looking for a block ID, not a serial number. From a document I have,the format of the US numbers is as follows, and is located where mine is:

The format is "Letter/Number/Number/Letter" corresponding to Month/day,day/year (last digit). Each letter represents a number, but they are not sequential in either the alphabet or the numbering sequence.

For example if the block was stamped "L25R" this would be L=3 = mar, 25 = 25th, R=9= 1949, so it was built on Mar 25 1949
I too have seen a reference to such a stamped, dating system in my distant past. Seems like it was only implemented on the "late" ('49-'53) blocks. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
B_man_Al

As far as I know, this is a US rouge plant numbering system. Yes it specifies the same location on the block as mine (back right on the machined surface, and can be seen with the intake ON THE CAR! Yes it only applies to the 49 and up blocks. The reference was on line at www.flatheaddrag.com/birthday.html a few years ago. I'll see if its still active. If not, I will post the codes for the letters.