Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
cassatia

Default Wind Wing Trouble

Last year, I busted a Wind wing when adjusting its position. The hardware bound and one of the duckbill assemblies busted the glass. I then ordered new glass and rubber isolators through MACs. When I assembled the new glass using the rubber isolators, they did not hold the glass. The glass and the rubber pieces are so thick that the duckbills will not close parallel to each other. They instead form a "V" pinching the assembly towards the base and leaving a gap towards the end.

The only thing that came to mind is that the rubber pieces were manufactured to original specs before the use of the thicker safety glass. If this was single pane glass, it would appear that all would fit well. I cut some rubber pieces out of inner tube which temporarily cured the problem. The issue that remains is that it looks horrible. I cut the rubber over-sized and trimmed with a razor to the size of the bracket but it still looks rough.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there thinner rubber pads available or a wider set of duckbills/hardware?
cassatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
spinelll

Default Re: Wind Wing Trouble

I used a rubber tire tube also but I don't think it looks bad. I'll post a pic. Did you glue them to the bills?

Did you fiddle with that little adjusting screw on the duckbill? The one that you can turn with your fingers. I think that can change the orientation of the bills.
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
cassatia

I did not glue them to the hardware, I just clamped in place and trimmed to size. I had adjusted the little screw to change the orientation.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
V4F

glue it . ..............
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
cassatia

The factory design pads that I got with the Wind Wings were about three times as thick as a tire tube.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
BrianBurkert

I had some old heavy electrical tape. It was a bit thicker and wider than regular electrical tape (maybe for high voltage or something). I used that and then trimmed with a razor blade. The tape was nice as it adhered to the glass and stayed in place while I assembled. It seems to be working well so far.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
peters180a/170b

You want to start with the right glass ... WWW.SANDERSREPROGLASS.COM 1-800-452-6117 [WEST COAST].Then cut the shape... rubber from a tire tube .then go to a AUTO GLASS SHOP[SAFELITE] or what ever shop you have around and buy a tube of the stuff they use on replacing windshield glass .Its black and must be put on warn with a heat gun and or a very good hair dyer. [and be fast...] once on you can forgetaboutit. most if not all other repro. glass really sucks...to damn thick AND HEAVY!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
RHD

Use industrial double sided tape. Works every time.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Larry Seemann

"permanent mounting tape" by 3M and others works well. It's like thin foam with sticky on both sides. The only thing is it's white and takes a little getting used to. Mine have remained solid for about 9 years now. You can buy it at any hardware store.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Bob-A

Smile Re: Wind Wing Trouble

A '29 phaeton I use to have had plexi-glass wind wings. They were on it when I got it so I left them on. You could not tell they weren't glass until you got right on them. If and when I ever lose a glass wing I'm replacing with a "plastic" one.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote