Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
junkyardjeff

Default 1955 clocks

My 55 sunliner came with a electrically wound clock but since I converted to 12 volts it was disconnected,I found a wind up clock and had it gone through and installed until I can get the original converted to 12 volts. I have only seen three of those wind up clocks and wondering if they could be ordered that way or were they the dealer installed clocks.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #2
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: 1955 clocks

I was told that 12v will not hurt these as the winding happens very quickly. I have not tried this though.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Merc Cruzer

You could always just put a voltage reducer on it, like you probably had to do with the gauges.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
scicala

I believe the clocks were both assembly line options and installed when the car was built. Just had a choice between electric and wind up.

I would do as Merc Cruzer said. Just run a wire from the voltage reducer for the gages to the clock. You could hook up full 12 volts, but I have a feeling time may fly after that.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
dmsfrr

"The polarity for the clock must be changed to neg. ground from pos. ground. .... There is a little tab that is designed to be positioned for pos. or neg. ground. .... Major damage will occur if it is powered up in reverse polarity. Install a 125 ohm 10 watt resistor in series with the 6-volt clock to drop the voltage to 6 or 7 V."

quote above from this link...
https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/6to12.php

This photo shows the grounding tab.
The 6v '55 clock in this photo was converted to a newer movement by a previous owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg converted '55 clock, ground tab on back.jpg (46.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-24-2018 at 05:34 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
junkyardjeff

Since it cost me 100 to get the windup clock working it will stay in for a few years but do want to get the original working some day.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Back in the early '70's, there were still quite a few '55 Customlines around here and I always looked at them and noticed most of them had the wind-up clocks in them. Most of the Mainline series cars I saw in junkyards just had the plastic delete plate and the Fairlane series cars mostly had the electric clocks.
I always wondered if Fomoco had a Standard like this which could only be changed by a special order (having a electric clock in a Customline as a special order). I did see a few variances, but scant few.
I've had bad experience with one of the popular instrument rebuilder/restorers. I had my '55 electric Westclox converted to quartz movement and gave bold instruction that it should be delivered to operate on 6-volt positive ground electrical system. It lasted just past their limited warranty and died. I ain't playin that game with nobody. It makes me angry and disappointed to spend $110.00 for nothing.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
estout81
BANNED

Beware experts! That's why I try to fix everything myself. If I screw it up then I know who to blame. Cheaper too.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
junkyardjeff

I seen a copy of a invoice of another 55 Fairlane I noticed that dealer charging around 15 dollars for the clock and on the invoice for my 55 Sunliner there is no extra cost for it.