Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
Thomas Sargent

Default Borg warner overdrive for 40 ford

I would like to hear from who has figured out how to use a Borg Warner R 10 or R 11 on their 40 ford or similar. I am a newbie, this mush have been done many times. thanks Thomas Sargent
Thomas Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Borg warner overdrive for 40 ford

I don't know about later V8 cars since the Columbia overdrives are out there. Most I've seen are the torque tube conversions for Model A cars. Someone likely did some conversions for later V8 cars or they used Volvo/Laycock units. The Mitchell types are still available and have product support. I can't say that about the others.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:33 PM   #3
tubman

A long time ago, I had a friend who had a '34 5-window with a BW overdrive. As I remember it, he used a '50 Merc transmission with OD, a heavily modified center "X"-member, and the rear end was converted to open drive. I don't remember if he used parallel leafs or kept the transverse spring.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:22 AM   #4
raybee

49-50 Mercury OD is a fairly easy swap. Clutch linkage is the same as 40 ford. I installed one in a 36 pickup which has a similar frame.
raybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
v8fordman

I would like to know if anyone has done this also. I have three R10's and would like to think that install would be a prett good upgrade...or does anyone need some R10's? i would like to install them in a closed driveshaft vehicle.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:40 PM   #6
rotorwrench

The only one Ford used with a torque tube was in the Lincoln cars. They were all open drive after 1948. The Nash and Studebaker units were used in the torque tube conversions that worked the best. In my opinion, the Volvo Laycock units are best for torque tube drives..

The 49 thru early 51 Mercury units are easy to fit to 59 series blocks or 8BA blocks but they are open drive and side shift. The old 40s Lincoln units are very long units but are still side shift. The side shift can be converted for top shift with some Yankee enginuity. Expaver here on the barn converted a 49/E51 trans to top shift. I don't know of anyone that has converted one for a torque tube.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:24 PM   #7
expavr

Attached are photos of a 49 Merc O/D transmission in my 1940 Tonner that uses a modified shift tower and linkage to shift the gears. Aside from the machine work to adapt the shift tower to the side shift linkage the swap was straight forward. I replaced the 2 piece driveshaft with a one piece driveshaft and changed the yoke on the differential. There was no change to the X member other than a bolt on adapter to catch the transmission mount on the tailshaft. I have seen a 40 sedan with column shift linkage that used a Merc O/D transmission. As I recall that installation required significant modification to the X member along with the attachment of radius rods to the rear differential which were then secured to the frame. Its all doable but in view of the availability of other O/D options is questionable in terms of time and cost. Feel free to contact me for specifics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-Merc-Trans.jpg (54.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 49-Merc-Trans-2.jpg (54.4 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 49-Merc-3.jpg (40.9 KB, 179 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #8
pistonbroke

In the 40 you have to deal with the torque tube and the X member, two big deals. If you are good with those two the 50 Merc overdrive is a bolt in for clutch and shift linkage and the bellhousing. I've put these OD's in many places they didn't originally come with good results. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #9
pistonbroke

Xpavr , I did the same basic thing using the 39 three speed top plate. I'm wondering about the switch you placed at the back of the cover plate . Is it for back up lights? Nice work , Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #10
Automotive Stud

I have one in the torque tube of my '40, I believe it's a modified Studebaker unit that was probably made by Lloyd. If you use a '49-50 Merc transmission you will have to go to an open driveshaft and everything associated with that and modify the crossmember to clear the overdrive.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #11
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Xpavr , I did the same basic thing using the 39 three speed top plate. I'm wondering about the switch you placed at the back of the cover plate . Is it for back up lights? Nice work , Tim
Yes. The switch triggers the backup light.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Bert Hiller made very good BW conversions for model A cars but I don't know who all made them or whether they were adapted for a later torque tube. Bert sold his stuff to Bill Swigart but they are both gone now. There isn't as much information out there for the later V8 cars that were converted.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:12 PM   #13
38 coupe

I used to have a Borg-Warner unit in a 35-40 torque tube. I eventually gave it to a friend to use since the installation was forward enough that it required cutting into the floor and I wasn't willing to do that to a nice car. My friend has a 36 "rust car" where floor modifications were not a sin.

I think either a Mitchell (which will likely require floor mods) or a Columbia are the way to go for overdrive these days.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:38 PM   #14
ssffnomad

39’ Deluxe Sedan.
It’s been lowered a little.
2 years ago put in a Mitchell OD unit .
4:11 gears w/ 36% OD
Zero modifications to floor boards.
Sure makes it a pleasure to drive.
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Attached are photos of a 49 Merc O/D transmission in my 1940 Tonner that uses a modified shift tower and linkage to shift the gears. Aside from the machine work to adapt the shift tower to the side shift linkage the swap was straight forward. I replaced the 2 piece driveshaft with a one piece driveshaft and changed the yoke on the differential. There was no change to the X member other than a bolt on adapter to catch the transmission mount on the tailshaft. I have seen a 40 sedan with column shift linkage that used a Merc O/D transmission. As I recall that installation required significant modification to the X member along with the attachment of radius rods to the rear differential which were then secured to the frame. Its all doable but in view of the availability of other O/D options is questionable in terms of time and cost. Feel free to contact me for specifics.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:54 PM   #16
38 coupe

About the 49-50 Mercury overdrive transmission pictured in the post above, please notice that it is in a 3/4 ton truck frame with lots of room and is a factory open drive shaft vehicle. This is nothing like the x member frame torque tube drive cars. The Mercury transmission can be installed in an older Ford, but you are going to cut out a lot of the frame and fabricate a lot of stuff.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #17
Pete pa

As 38 coupe has mentioned you will have to fabricate a lot of parts. Replacement rails and transmission mount, also clutch linkage. I have a 48 Lincoln v12 with the overdrive mounted in my 40 Ford coupe project I'm working on. The transmission has a torque tube driveshaft that needed to be shortened to work with the banjo rear axle. The open drive Mercury transmission behind a v8 will require less cutting but still a lot of work. I can't load pictures here on the barn but I have pictures on the H.A.M.B. My handle is (two couped up) and the pictures are listed V12 Lincoln.
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #18
CaliforniaBorn36

There was a Borg Warner R10 grafted into the torque tube of a 1936 Sedan that I owned. It was installed prior to my ownership and was toward the rear of the tube near the rear end. There was a slight modification to the rear seat floor pan, but not really noticeable. SO, it is doable. Someone sold these as a kit for a while, much like the Mitchell unit
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:37 AM   #19
1931 flamingo

I know it's not a B/Warner but MITCHELL makes an o/drive for late torque tubes.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote