Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
road_king

Default Antifreeze in exhaust manifold

Yesterday I removed my intake and exhaust manifold on my coupe that has been sitting 6 or 7 months and hasn't been started. When I took off the manifold a few ounces of antifreeze ran out of the #2 & #3 exhaust ports. I checked the oil and it looks good (no milkshake color). My initial reaction is a blown head gasket? It has a Winfield head, and compression is consistent on each cylinder at +/- 135lbs. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
road_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Antifreeze in exhaust manifold

The gasket is probably not blown but will be soon. You might get by fora while by checking the torque on the head nuts.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Just one (1) lucky experience:

Had installed an inexpensive J. C. Whitney head gasket in the early 1960's, (unknown brand), with no copper on top & no copper on bottom -- all black fiber gasket; however, it had steel all around each combustion chamber.

After a couple of years, the steel rusted & gave way between cylinder's 2 & 3 & leaked small amount of coolant at this location.

Luckily, was able to change the head gasket before it blew & installed a NAPA copper gasket whereby it stopped leaking.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
road_king

Hey thanks, for the reply. I'll check all bolts first and re-torque if needed at 55lbs? thanks again James,,, just hoping I don't have a crack somewhere. Car ran fine last summer.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
road_king

I have a couple NOS gaskets, and two new carbon fiber and steel "best brand" from Charlie Yapp that I ordered yesterday to be prepared. I'll finish what I was doing, get it running , then eventually pull the head I guess so I don't have further problems. thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
I have a couple NOS gaskets, and two new carbon fiber and steel "best brand" from Charlie Yapp that I ordered yesterday to be prepared. I'll finish what I was doing, get it running , then eventually pull the head I guess so I don't have further problems. thanks
When you pull the head for the new gasket, have it resurfaced on a Van Norman 570 broach so the texture is like what was done at the factory. A smooth surface like done with a Kwik Way stone or CBN grinder is too smooth and will allow the gasket to move. These are for decks and heads that use 70# or more torque at the bolts, not the A which is usually 50 or 55#.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Special Coupe Frank

While you've got that head off, carefully check the block deck for cracks between the exhaust-valve seat and the cylinder bore.

Hate to be a Gloomy Gus, but A's are known to crak there... better to check now.

Hoping for the best for you !

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote