Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
james.heider

Default Fiberglass fenders and reduced vehilce value

I am in the process of restoring a Vicky that came with fiberglass fenders.
I know from many posts here on the forum that the new sheet metal fenders don't fit well so I have been trying to locate and purchase good original steel fenders. Since I don't have steel fenders at this time I am proceding with using the fiberglass.
In the opinion of the group how much in terms of $ value do you think the use of fiberglass over steel reduces the value of an otherwise nicely restored car?

Thanks for your opinions.
Jim
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Fiberglass fenders and reduced vehilce value

It's more about you loving your own car than what it is worth. YOU bought it with the fiberglass fenders, so you already know how that weighed in your own purchase decision. It certainly didn't stop you! If and when you find those holy-grail nice original fenders, don't ask about them on a public forum before they are in your possession, lest they go POOF before you go for a second look. When you finally have it the way you want, it is priceless. 'Till then, anyone who bends over to look under your fenders is bent over for a reason. Go for it!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
5window

Maybe for a fine point restoration. For a drivable car, or a hot rodded Vicky, it's a bit like redoing the kitchen in your home. It'll look and be really cool, but it's unlikely you'll ever recover what you have into it. You want steel,get steel, but no one else should really care.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
A31Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
... 'Till then, anyone who bends over to look under your fenders is bent over for a reason. Go for it!
LOL! I "love" it when people walk up to my car and try to be inconspicuous while running their fingers under the edge of the fender to see if they are original/ repaired, etc. FWIW they're the real deal...

If you're building the car for resale, I'd try to find steel fenders. If not, enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff.
A31Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Meanwhile, fenders are relatively easy to change out, so reduction in value should approximate cost of steel fenders and restoring them minus what you can get selling the glass ones to another person who can't find or afford steel! Much better than something that requires tearing the whole car apart or totally refinishing it.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Jordan

I know of a few local cars that were restored in the 80's with fiberglass fenders, and I've been around the cars all my life and didn't even know until recently that they were fiberglass. These cars were restored on a budget, and that budget didn't allow to buy and restore fenders, so they bought fiberglass fenders as a "temporary" solution. One of the cars even went through judging several times and came out with first place trophies at state/national meets. Nobody knew because he took the time to cut the grooves in the bead to make it feel like a real fender. These cars still have the fiberglass fenders 30 years later and nobody knows or cares.

Randy, if you read this, you know one of the cars I'm talking about is yours
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
todd3131

I would put them on and quit looking for the steel fenders, I spent four years looking for them and finally had to buy a repop, once I did I found four good ones, and bought the best one.
Todd
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
sturgis39

I thought the Vickie fenders and running boards are different than the standard sedan fenders and running boards. Let me know if this is true.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
ford3

the car is only worth less than what the cost of two metal fenders would be, not enough to worry about, drive it, show it, enjoy it and the history and and the looks and conversation you get at car shows
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis39 View Post
I thought the Vickie fenders and running boards are different than the standard sedan fenders and running boards. Let me know if this is true.
Nope, not true. Fenders and running boards of the same time period are alike.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Joe K

Wasn't it Henry who pioneered the use of soy based plastics in the early 1940s?

I seem to remember a pix of him using a large mallet on the back of a sedan.

I think he might approve.

Joe K
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
james.heider

Thanks for all your replys. My town sedan that I purchased in 1967 and sold in 1999 had original steel fenders and there was never any thought given to fiberglass. Since this is going to a nice driver, non show but well done car I think I will go with the fiberglass and when they put me 6' under then someone else can worry about the fenders.

Thanks Guys.
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Mine has f/glass fenders, car was re-done in the late 80's. They look fine and you have to look at the undersides to tell. Plus, they are straight..............
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Ross/Kzoo

I find it great that so many of you are so accepting of the fiberglass fenders. I thought that there would be many more nay sayers.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Ross: Mine was bought as a driver, mech done, paint good, upholstery (mohair), not as a fine point. Like i said they're straight and no body (I do a lot of cruise nights and shows) has said a/thing about the fenders.
Sometimes it's also about money and/or one's ability to "work" on old metal. There's only one FLOP after all......
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
Kevin in NJ

Some thoughts.

If you get steel fenders that need work keep in mind that the work must be done on the car. Off the car you can introduce significant problems. See my technical help section on my website for an overview on how a fender needs to be set up when doing repairs. Either type of fenders needs you to take some time to set up the headlight bar to the brackets.

Fiberglass fenders do not conduct electricity. Makes it tough for the tail light to get a ground. Could cause troubles for the headlights if you are doing things to insure grounds. On my car, I have spent time taking paint off down to bare metal at critical points.

Are they good or bad? Who cares other then you.

They do not have all the right looks and I am not keen on them.

BUT

If you can appreciate them and you have your car mechanically safe to drive, go have fun driving.

My experience doing fenders taught me why so many fenders on restored cars have issues. They are tough to get right. You really need some metal smarts if you have a problem fender.
I can really appreciate those who have all the right details showing on their fenders.
I can also understand those who have fenders with issues on their restored cars. I can see where one could get very frustrated and not know how to move forward other than lots of filler that hides details.
I can see where people end up with the fiberglass fenders to get their cars on the road.

I will also do my best to help give pointers to anyone that wants to try and make their metal fenders work.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
Keith True

I bought some glass fenders to use temporarily over 20 years ago.I used them for over 15 years,then installed some steel ones I had found somewhere. I then sold the glass ones for what I had paid for them when new.I bought them from a place in Florida,I want to say St Petersburg. On the pickups I still use the glass on the rear.There is a fellow near me now making 30-31 fronts,he started making them because one of his customers is a vendor that is having trouble with steel fronts.I have a 31 truck that I am painting up and putting back together,that is getting a new set of his glass fenders.They look nice,I already bought a set.I've only sold a couple of A's that I owned,but I've sold some for others that had glass fenders.I did get quite a few whiners that felt the price should drop $5000.or so because of the glass,but when I told them if they paid the asking price I would paint and install new steel they would shut up.Not one ever took me up on it.I know some people will tell you to buy a few more tools,watch some videos,learn some more welding,and almost anything can be fixed.Very true,BUT,doing all that for somebody with other things going on in life can add years to the project.When you're behind the wheel you will not care one bit that the fenders are plastic.You can take the time to do all that while riding around behind the fake fenders.Bottom line is they are an easy part to replace,run them until you find the steel ones you like,if you ever bother.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
luckyal

The only time it might come up is when you go to sell and the buyer trys to use it as a bargaining tool. Now you have the ammunition to fight back because you heard it first hand from the Fordbarn experts ! One of my A's has fiberglass fenders and not a soul has ever mentioned it. When I do my yearly rust inspection I skip right over those fenders. You might also consider undercoatong all the fenders.
Like they have said previously, drive it and enjoy it !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
dumb person

i had a non-ford car with fibreglass panels, it was good, no rust. Have seen them flex with severe use (like cattle truck severe) and get these cracks in them but that is a rare occurrence for most people. Use them & get better gas mileage!

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.heider View Post
Thanks for all your replys. My town sedan that I purchased in 1967 and sold in 1999 had original steel fenders and there was never any thought given to fiberglass. Since this is going to a nice driver, non show but well done car I think I will go with the fiberglass and when they put me 6' under then someone else can worry about the fenders.

Thanks Guys.
WAY TO GO!!!!

The value is diminished only if you sell it!!