Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Frank The Plumber

Default Price of a 29 to 31 Ford A?

I was looking for a body from a 29 thru 31, actually anything rough, my buddy wants to build a hot rod per Jalopy Journal specs, he has some cash restrictions so we are going low dollar. Most of the bodies were around $2500 for not much, usually not even a frame. We looked on some of the bid sites at the prices of a complete car to justify the cost to his wife, it was not a good thing to do, there were a lot of cars with no bids at 7500, several very nice appearing cars could be bought now at around 11000. The parts look low priced too, what's going on, are these old gals just not real popular right now, and yeah I know there is a depression but some of these numbers, ouch.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Price of a 29 to 31 Ford A?

I have a 29 Tudor body and a 30 Tudor body and either one could be restored or rodded and I'd sell them for a lot less than $2,500. I'm talking just the body proper with gas tank, but without fenders, interior, etc.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Uncle Bob

A few months ago I was looking for a '28-31 coupe, mainly for the body proper, but would look at anything. I would guess out west here we have more/better options than in your part of the world, but that's a guess. I found that there was/is a lot of competition for coupe bodies (the others....not so much), and not so much for complete cars. Any body that was decent, or priced accordingly sold fast. I ended up with a mostly complete car, but all in pieces from No. Cal. I'm running local ads now to sell off the extra pieces I don't need and the response is tepid. Some tire kickers, but no follow through. I'm priced at what I've seen stuff sell for here so I don't think I'm out of line, but this area can be tough at times to pull respectable prices compared to elsewhere. Historically this is a crappy time of the year to sell (which should mean a good time to buy from a motivated seller), so beside the economic doom and gloom, expectations should be low. All that being said, Model A parts look to be pretty cheap by comparison to other stuff, and certainly off their highs of a few years ago(at least locally). We'll see what the late winter, early spring brings. Again, historically, things start to pick up around late February.

As for your price observations you didn't mention body style. Out this way I saw several tudors that were mostly complete, not too eat out with rust (almost always perforated at the cowl and front portion of quarters and wheel wells), non-runners, asking prices were all over the board, but the ones that sold got down to $4k or so. Coupes and roadsters slightly higher. But coupe bodies by themselves were selling for $3.5k (give or take) pretty regularly if they were decent and pretty complete (although close to half didn't have a deck lid).
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Frank The Plumber

I saw a really nice running 31 coupe for around 10 K had the wire wheels and everything, it would be a shame to make a rod out of it but wow, I can see the temptation, to put it together from bits would have to set a guy back a lot more. Just to verify I'm too religious to buy a complete nice running 31 and part it down and make a rod out of it, I'm not spreading sacrilege, just observing the market and trying to get a bearing for my friend. I'll keep him in the church too, we're not car'nivores.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
mot

i just sold a really nice 30 coupe
it had perfect doors ,a really good rumble lid,no rust in the cowl or quarter panels,great gas tank
the body had been gone over by a professional body man
it went for $3,500 in N cal
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Keith True

I think location has a lot to do with it.I got nearly $9000.for this rust-free 29 coupe.I bought it to save it from being rodded,but the A guys were only offering less than $4000.for it.So,it went to a rodder.I can't take nearly $5000.out of my pocket to save an A.Up here in N.H. cars this solid are had to find.The guy that bought it said,he wasn't paying so much for an old A to take apart,it was the $10,000 he WASN'T spending for bodywork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 244.jpg (70.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 245.jpg (69.6 KB, 36 views)
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote