Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Tom Cavallaro

Default Lighting problems

I started on my wire harness this week only to find I keep running into obstacles. First one was the wire harness going to the tail light is ending just over the rear axle. Second is, the original tail light has a two small disks with a spring between them, one of the disks broke while removing it. Can they be replaced? The third thing is the gasket for the head light…neoprene…how in the heck to I get that to stay in place???
The next thing is, does the engine have to be running for the lights to work? If not, I have a problem. I was thinking the parking lights would work at any time. Hope you can answer all my concerns. Thanks
Tom Cavallaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Lighting problems

When I replaced my headlight gasket, I just put it into the groove, cut it to fit, it stayed in place by itself. You could try putting some "Goop" or other adhesive in the groove and then the gasket, but ptobably better off without anything. On the tail light wire, try making one, trey an auto parts store, they may have a replacement wire assy that could be used.Snyder's has tail light pig tails with springs and washers avail, $4.50 pr. Lights should work w/out engine running. Good luck.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
midgetracer

Tom, the tail light harness is quite long. It should reach the end of the main harness. perhaps the tail light harness you have is a shortened one. Also on the headlight gasket, I use 3M trim adhesive to hold it in place. just a bit will do nicely and if you use the black stuff, you wont even see it. The lights all should work without the key on or engine running. Check to see if you have a good ground by touching a wire from a head bolt to the light housing.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Tom Cavallaro

It's a new harness from brattons for the 30 coupe. It's short alright, and thanks for the ground thought, I'll check it out tomorrow or monday.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Aok

If I get something from a vendor that is not correct I send it back they will send out the correct one.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Do you have the harness routed correctly?

If the lights only work with the engine running then you have the lights/horn wire terminal on the wrong side of the cutout. It goes on the output side, which is the same side with the wire running up to the terminal box.

The input side of the cutout should ONLY have the connection to the generator output stud, or generator output wire if you are using a later generator (post Model A production).
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

this may help some. Http://users.erols.com/john-gloriabrady/Wiring-DiagramColor2sm.jpg
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Tom Cavallaro

Thanks very much gentlemen. Tom, I just put the wires on the cut out as they came off. You were right, originals on the wrong side. The harness is short, I ordered the extention...go figure. I have sent parts back, but seem to have to pay for shipping both ways each time. I'll make this work if I have to make it my self. It's run down the left side of the frame. I put in a new brake light switch and wires make it perfectly there. Now I'm going to check out Snyders for the contacts with springs and cardboard discs...then I'm ready for the road...safely..LOL
Thanks again...you guys have saved me time...and hair...not much left, but would like to keep what's there.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Doug in NJ

Definitely replace those tail light pigtail wires (with the insulating discs and spring).
They repros are reasonably priced, well-made, and original-looking.
How are the connectors that join the tail light wires to the harness? Get some of those, too, if the existing ones are not in excellent condition.

Doug
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Tom Cavallaro

Thanks for the info. on the tail light equipment availible at Snyders. I have been buying from Brattons and I know that don't have them. I really didn't want to replace the tail light because of lack of original style equipment availibilty. I also found a very reasonable turn signal kit of which I purchased too. I have personaly found that the new drivers don't know what hand signals and a double yellow line mean first hand.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

The light harness for the 28-early 29 drum taillight should run all the way to the taillight and Sacremento Vintage Ford is the only parts house I know of making and selling the correct harness.

The harness for the teacup taillight ends a couple feet before the light, and the light has the wires running those couple feet and couple together with connectors.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #12
Tom Cavallaro

Ahh, that may be the difference! I'm going through the parts books and keep seeing drum type tail lights...and assumed that's what they were. Now you are the first one to mention the teacup light, and quite frankly that makes sense too because the crome part is tapered slightly. It's marked Douolite on the top, looks good and all lenses are glass. That's why I'm hell bent on keeping the original light...if in fact it is...and not been replaced already.