Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Muttley

Question Steering Column/Horn Wiring Question

Yesterday the remaining parts to finish the re-wire on my Fathers '31 Coupe arrived. Everything is working correctly with the exception of the horn. Last week when I pulled the main harness apart at the bottom of the column a small 'C' shaped metal part fell out. Truthfully I'm not sure where it came from, it could just be a coincidence that that part fell from somewhere when I pulled the wiring bail apart. Now that everything is back in place and the horn isnt working (it did with the old wiring harness) it seems like this thing must be the cause. Does anyone know if this is part of the horn contact/column assembly or is this just a coincidence and I have another electrical gremlin to track down? Here's a picture of the part:

Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Steering Column/Horn Wiring Question

That clip holds the spider onto the horn rod,
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Muttley

If I pull it apart again will it be obvious where it goes? I didnt want to try and stick it in there before without knowing for sure.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Pull the switch back off, then have the switch handle pointed straight down (6 o'clock), and slip the spider on so the tabs are up and down 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Then you can have someone hold the horn/light switch while you push the spider up against the spring pressure and fit the C clip into the retainer groove. If you are working alone, then use a wood yardstick through the steering wheel to hold the light sw./horn rod in place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Bob C

Here's a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-Switch.jpg (27.5 KB, 76 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
montanafordman

When I installed that clip I just used some masking tape to hold the top of the horn rod in the steering wheel while I pressed the spider up on the bottom and inserted the clip.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Muttley

I pulled it apart, put the 'C' clip in, reinstalled the whole thing, the headlights were stuck on and the switch wasnt as free moving as before. Pulled it apart again, took the clip back out and the headlights work correctly. Apparently the 'C' clip isnt a crucial part, everything works (except the horn) without it. I'm just going to leave it the way it is and wire a hidden button in for the horn. It really shouldnt be this complicated, didnt Ford turn one of these out every eleven minutes?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
jan bogert

Muttley, if you worked there they could have done one every 9 minutes
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Bob C

The horn probably doesn't work because the c-clip is what holds the light rod down, the
way you have it now you can just pull it up until it hits the roof. Why not fix it right instead
of mickey mouse.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
I pulled it apart, put the 'C' clip in, reinstalled the whole thing, the headlights were stuck on and the switch wasnt as free moving as before. Pulled it apart again, took the clip back out and the headlights work correctly. Apparently the 'C' clip isnt a crucial part, everything works (except the horn) without it. I'm just going to leave it the way it is and wire a hidden button in for the horn. It really shouldnt be this complicated, didnt Ford turn one of these out every eleven minutes?
What does your light switch spider look like? is it worn? I would carfully look at how the spider engages the switch in the light switch body and replace, file, or refurbish either or both of those if that is what is causing your trouble. They aren't expensive either. Its yours to do as you like however my 2 cents say why not put it together properly, troubleshoot and do it right than waste time wiring another switch? Good luck whatever the avenue you take. If there are any Model A clubs in your area they might be able to help you out also.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Why not fix it right instead
of mickey mouse.

Bob
Down under, if something is Mickey Mouse it's done right.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The horn probably doesn't work because the c-clip is what holds the light rod down, the way you have it now you can just pull it up until it hits the roof. Why not fix it right instead of Mickey Mouse.
It works right now as is (except for the horn) so as long as no one jerks around with the switch/horn button assembly I guess it will continue to do so. If/when it ceases to function I'll tear it apart and try the 'C' clip again.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
1) Now that everything is back in place and the horn isnt working (it did with the old wiring harness) it seems like this thing must be the cause. Does anyone know if this is part of the horn contact/column assembly or is this just a coincidence and I have another electrical gremlin to track down?

2) Apparently the 'C' clip isnt a crucial part, ....

3)...It really shouldnt be this complicated, didnt Ford turn one of these out every eleven minutes?
1) Yes it is part of the horn contact. The clip holds the spider on and keeps the horn button wire in contact with the switch.

2) It is a crucial part if you want everything to work. It's like saying a light bulb is not crucial to the headlamp.

3) It's not complicated at all, you said yourself it worked with the old harness. To me it seems you just made it complicated. You now have to add another wire to the lighting switch and bring it into the cab. Mount a hidden switch somewhere and somehow. Add another wire to ground, and when you want to blow the horn you will have to reach into the hidden area to sound the horn. How does that sound to you? Get rid of the gremlin and do the job right is my advice.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-14-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
jan bogert

Unreal!!!!!!!: That clip is so easy to install. I'd hate to see u have a serious problem with your car.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
CarlG

When I knew I was going to take mine apart, I ordered several extra of the "C" clips just in case I lost one. Had to use one of my spares just the other day!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
jan bogert

I use a needle nose vise grip to clamp the C clip and push it on the spidergear.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
1) Yes it is part of the horn contact. The clip holds the spider on and keeps the horn button wire in contact with the switch.
It runs, drives and the lights work, thats all thats really important to me.

Quote:
2) It is a crucial part if you want everything to work. It's like saying a light bulb is not crucial to the headlamp.

The horn really isnt a big concern. If I can get it to work great, if not no big deal.

Quote:
3) It's not complicated at all, you said yourself it worked with the old harness. To me it seems you just made it complicated. You now have to add another wire to the lighting switch and bring it into the cab. Mount a hidden switch somewhere and somehow. Add another wire to ground, and when you want to blow the horn you will have to reach into the hidden area to sound the horn. How does that sound to you? Get rid of the gremlin and do the job right is my advice.
I tried, it didnt work, on to plan 'B'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan bogert View Post
Unreal!!!!!!!: That clip is so easy to install. I'd hate to see u have a serious problem with your car.
I realize its easy to install, it took me about two minutes to put it in..............but when I did the headlights were stuck on so back off it came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan bogert View Post
I use a needle nose vise grip to clamp the C clip and push it on the spidergear.
I didnt even need those, it went in just fine with my fingers.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
V4F

MUTT , i have a good set of switch parts , if you want them . i took my lite switch out , so the xtra parts . steve
[email protected] ...........................
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
V4F

also , maybe you had it indexed wrong is why the lites stayed on !
Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
MUTT, I have a good set of switch parts if you want them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
Also,maybe you had it indexed wrong is why the lights stayed on!
Cool deal, I'll let you know if I need the parts. I tried it a couple of ways but got the same result. If the judges at the next show find out I didnt use the 'C' clip I may be banished for life..............the next thing you know the old 'A' will be out at all hours of the night cavorting with those damn Hot Rodders. HAHAHA.