Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2024, 12:50 AM   #1
Dave Mellor NJ

Default 42 cop car

I love these 42 Fords
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42 cop car.jpg (71.0 KB, 70 views)
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:41 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: 42 cop car

The post war cars were not much different from the pre war cars except for some styling changes. I had a 48 Ford in high school and it was a great car.

That said, I like Model A's better for some unknown reason.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:19 PM   #3
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
The post war cars were not much different from the pre war cars except for some styling changes. I had a 48 Ford in high school and it was a great car.

That said, I like Model A's better for some unknown reason.

Very little car development work was done during the war. To start building cars ASAP after the war they just went back to the prewar designs. The real breakthrough came with Henry's 1949 shoebox. I have always thought that WWII saved the Model A. At a time when the dated looks and compromises of the Model A would be seeing the 10-15 year old cars headed for the scrap heap they were pressed back into service as daily transportation. When those kids who went to war before owning their first car came home they were glad to grab up a cheap Model A to get around. Those guys created the hot rod and restoration biz for their beloved "first car" that still exists today.

The 1949 Ford is a line of cars produced by Ford from the 1949 to 1951 model years. The successor to the prewar 1941 Ford, the model line was the first full-size Ford designed after World War II, becoming the first Ford car line released after the deaths of Edsel Ford and Henry Ford. From 1946 to 1948, each of the American Big Three concentrated on the restoration of car production, offering updated versions of their 1941-1942 model lines. Released in June 1948, the 1949 Ford was the first major "postwar" American car line, beating Chevrolet to market by six months and Plymouth by nine.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:13 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Bob Gregorie kept on designing what would become some of the later post war cars right up until Edsel Ford died in 1943. Edsel signed off on the 1949 Mercury design before he died. Hank the deuce didn't like Bob very much so he quit shortly after but returned a year later. He finally left for good after the shoe box competition got too crazy and the upper level management started a hassle.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote