Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2024, 09:12 PM   #1
quickchangeV8

Default Harman Collins early flathead cams - need info

I have a couple of Harman Collins early flathead cams that I have had for a very long time. I hadn't realized until recently that Harman Collins marked their cams or at least some of them on the side instead of on the end like most cam grinders did. I took out a magnifying glass and found some identifying numbers.

One cam is marked Harman Collins 6372 and the other cam is marked Harman Collins 1015. Would someone have any information as to the duration and lift on these cams and any other information relevant to these cams. Would either of these cams be good for street use? Thanks.
quickchangeV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:49 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Harman Collins early flathead cams - need info

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchangeV8 View Post
I have a couple of Harman Collins early flathead cams that I have had for a very long time. I hadn't realized until recently that Harman Collins marked their cams or at least some of them on the side instead of on the end like most cam grinders did. I took out a magnifying glass and found some identifying numbers.

One cam is marked Harman Collins 6372 and the other cam is marked Harman Collins 1015. Would someone have any information as to the duration and lift on these cams and any other information relevant to these cams. Would either of these cams be good for street use? Thanks.
Hi Derek,

I can help on the 6372.
In 22/70
Ex 69/23
Lift .408
In cl. .011
Ex cl. .013

If it is swept ground it is likely a genuine H&C. If it is relieved between the lobes, who knows who made it.
1015 was a very popular Isky track cam number so I can't help there.

The 6372 is an excellent hot street cam in large engines.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:56 AM   #3
quickchangeV8

Thanks ever so much Pete for the information on these cams. The 6372 cam, I am confident is an original Harman Collins cam. It has Harman Collins stamped on it and their logo is stamped in between the Harman and the Collins. The 1015 cam has never been used.
When I was in high school I worked for my uncle in the early 1980's for a couple of summers in Los Angeles doing home renovations. I would use my aunt's Corvair Spyder and go around to all the swap meets and shows on the weekends. I remember I purchased the 6372 cam at Blair's Speed Shop. They still had some flathead stuff left back then. Cam was $25. I remember it came from a dry lakes car that competed at the dry lakes.
I would like to use the Harman Collins 6372 cam again in my next engine. The cam has accumulated some rust on it. Where could I send it to get polished and ready for street use again? Thanks.
quickchangeV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:56 PM   #4
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchangeV8 View Post
Thanks ever so much Pete for the information on these cams. The 6372 cam, I am confident is an original Harman Collins cam. It has Harman Collins stamped on it and their logo is stamped in between the Harman and the Collins. The 1015 cam has never been used.
When I was in high school I worked for my uncle in the early 1980's for a couple of summers in Los Angeles doing home renovations. I would use my aunt's Corvair Spyder and go around to all the swap meets and shows on the weekends. I remember I purchased the 6372 cam at Blair's Speed Shop. They still had some flathead stuff left back then. Cam was $25. I remember it came from a dry lakes car that competed at the dry lakes.
I would like to use the Harman Collins 6372 cam again in my next engine. The cam has accumulated some rust on it. Where could I send it to get polished and ready for street use again? Thanks.
The journals can be polished in a lathe by hand with some 320 or so emery paper.

Depending on how much pitting the lobes have, those can be done by hand also with a piece of emery bent over a piece of wood so you have a flat backing. If there are pits in the lobes the cam should be reground. I can do it but that would be a lot of shipping etc etc for you.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote