Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default Head lights problems

So iv got a problem with my headlights when I'm driving and it gets dark and I turn the headlights on the car starts to buck and fart and lose power they are stock set up with stock bulbs same with the tail lights. I have a repro light swich and have all the metal connecters on the harness individually shrunk wraped so they can't make contact against each other or the housingso and cause a short. Also I have the starter mount fuse that all the venders sell and I haven't had it blow but the car will buck and stall when on I turn the lights of I get all my speed power and smoothness back back also in the head light buckets I have all the connections hard wired souldered and shrunk wraped to the actual socket. My battery is pretty dead I start it with the hand crank but it still has power enough in it to turn the lights on with the car off. Just not enough to crank her over and the gen is putting out enough power to run the car and headlights at the same time so ya I am really confused only thing that can help is when I disconnect the light wich take off the actual swich part and play around with it can make it work for a short time. Help would be apreeshated iv been stuck driving home with no lights a few times when I get stuck at work late and that is mighty scary let me tell you haha!!
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Will N

Default Re: Head lights problems

What are you using for an ignition system: the standard magneto and 4 coils, or a distributor conversion?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
RonC

This is a Model A question? You are not producing enough amperage. Start by checking...With the battery connected and everything off, pull the fuse and connect an ammeter across the fuse terminals. Is there any current draw?? There should be none.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
1928Pickuppain

Woops wrong Forum thanks for the reply though guys
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote