Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
Jim Kroeger

Default Squealing Leakless Water Pump or Clutch?

I have a squealing noise coming from my leakless water pump but am perplexed as if I step on my clutch I can increase or lower the screaching sound. I put in a new leakless water pump after my old one seized and added a new two blade fan with new fan belt. I run an alternator and installed a new, adjustable alternator bracket so I can align all three pulleys properly. The belt tension is adjusted to about an inch. It did not make a sound for a while and now it does. In other threads I have read it could be a dry throw-out bearing in the clutch but I am not sure. Is there a way to lube this bearing if it is indeed the problem? I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from up front as it happened before but it is back even though I changed things. I tried putting some soap on the fan belt to see if it would stop the squealing but couldn't tell if it helped or not. Can a new leakless pump go out this quickly with only 200 miles on it? Any ideas would help. Thanks. JIM
Jim Kroeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Squealing Leakless Water Pump or Clutch?

Remove the belt and run the car without the water pump moving and see if the sound is still there.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

With 1" freeplay the throwout bearing will not be touching the 6 clutch fingers, and will not be turning while the engine is running. It only spins when you step on the clutch pedal.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
springerpete

Did you make sure the new fan had enough clearance from the wp housing ? That was my problem. Remove the belt and spin the fan and listen carefully. My fan came with directions to be sure to check this issue. I had to remove some metal from the wp housing to fix the squeal. I think that using the clutch only changes the motor rpm so the squeal varies. Good luck.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Did you make sure the new fan had enough clearance from the wp housing ? That was my problem. Remove the belt and spin the fan and listen carefully. My fan came with directions to be sure to check this issue. I had to remove some metal from the wp housing to fix the squeal. I think that using the clutch only changes the motor rpm so the squeal varies. Good luck.
And the variation in speed is causing differing amounts of "airplaning" by that fan/fanshaft/water pump? (i.e. the fan actually pulls the shaft forward on increase in speed - when you let off on the speed, the shaft returns to a rearward position under the action of the belt alignment.)

I go for the fan/water pump nose interference issue.

I like the idea of removing the fan belt as a test. You don't need no steenking fan - at least until it boils over.

Joe K
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Mark from Indy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had the same problem - the top of my pump had a slight casting bump and the new fan blade was rubbing on it. A little file work on the pump fixed mine.

Mark
Mark from Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i had a bad squeal also from my waterpump to fan clearance and had to refine the waterpump housing a tad.

don't over tighten the belt it needs some deflection, it can wear on the bearing

also thought i would mention this since you said your running an alternator there are reports of whine when using a cog belt (w/alt). do a search alternator whine and you can read many posts on it...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
fordcoupe

Had the same thing on my coupe after i changed the fan belt it would squeel like a pig when running found the new belt was a tad wide for the pully and the belt was not setting in the pully right replaced belt noise gone another thing you can check good luck
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Steve Wastler

I had a squeal or squeak coming from the front, thought it was pump related. Turned out to be at the front motor mount thru the cross member. The stud was rubbing the rear of the hole in the crossmember. I was able to loosen rear mounts and 'shift' the engine a smidge forward.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I add water pump lubricant to the water in the radiator and it solves the problem. I get my pump lubricant at advance auto parts, it comes in small bottles and doesn't cost much. The waterpump lubricant also helps prevent rust, I don't use antifreeze. If the water pump lubricant doesn't solve the problem, you won't be out much and you will know that the problem is elsewhere. The water pump lubricant works quick.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
jkeesey

I agree with Mike V. pull the belt and see if the squeal stops. I had one that was making me pull my hair out thinking it was the belt and it turned out to be the front crossmember had become worn from an old motor mount and the new mount was vibrating over the worn edge making the squealing sound.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
ba49

I had the exact problem. I thought it was the water pump or the altenator. Just for the heck of it I sprayed some belt dressing on the belt and it immediately went away!
ba49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Jim Kroeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
I agree with Mike V. pull the belt and see if the squeal stops. I had one that was making me pull my hair out thinking it was the belt and it turned out to be the front crossmember had become worn from an old motor mount and the new mount was vibrating over the worn edge making the squealing sound.
How did you correct the problem with the squealing motor mount?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Jim Kroeger

Thanks fellas for some great suggestions. I'm definitely going to check that front motor mount, my pump housing for obstructions and see if my belt is seating properly.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
jkeesey

I pulled the mount back out and dressed the edges so it had a smooth area to slide over instead of the crisp edge. Then I slathered on a little antiseize and put it all back together. Problem solved.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Dave in Petaluma

This is a long shot, and would be unpleasant news if I am right, but the fact that engaging the clutch alters the sound of the water pump makes me think of excessive end float in the crankshaft. Have someone depress the clutch with the engine running while you watch the crank pulley. Let us know what you see.
Dave in Petaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Jim Kroeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Petaluma View Post
This is a long shot, and would be unpleasant news if I am right, but the fact that engaging the clutch alters the sound of the water pump makes me think of excessive end float in the crankshaft. Have someone depress the clutch with the engine running while you watch the crank pulley. Let us know what you see.
Dave I took your suggestion and had someone depress the clutch but the pulley stayed true. The squealing problem was attributed to the new alternator bracket. I lathered it up with some grease, re-assembled and the noise went away.