Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
1928fordmodelaspecial

Default Special Coupe color

This was my Grandfather's Special Coupe. it is a 28'. It only has 8,521 miles on it all original except some wiring and the water pump and plugs. Now I believe it to be Light Niagara Blue, Dutchess Blue for the trim, & French Grey for the pin striping. The body color however seems pretty blue as you can tell. Could this be due to its age and lighting over time. He passed in 60' when my mom was 5 years old and eventually passed to me about 7-8 years ago. I believe that he may have repainted it because i did find sandpaper under the cab seat with the same blue paint on it. PS. there is a rumble seat conversion that he had done back during WWII as you can tell by the trunk lid latch being unsealed. Any help would be appreciated. On another note, I had found a site where they were selling the original paint formulas in ready to go mixes, but havent been able to relocate it. seemed like maybe an old timer's online shop. If you think that you may know this site, I would like to be redirected there as it seemed a great price for the paint.
1928fordmodelaspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Special Coupe color

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928fordmodelaspecial View Post
This was my Grandfather's Special Coupe. it is a 28'.

<snip>

I believe it to be Light Niagara Blue, Dutchess Blue for the trim, & French Grey for the pin striping. The body color however seems pretty blue as you can tell.

<snip>
Have you looked at the paint chips in the "Paint & Finish Guide" book? See if the Niagara Blue, Light chip in there looks like your car's color out in natural light. Do the same with the Duchess Blue.

If the car was repainted, it is possible that the paint used was not quite the exact correct color. We've seen a lot of that over the years. It was often not intentional, the paint supplier just didn't stress over a color not matching exactly. Or the owner decided they'd like a slightly different color.

To answer your question about paint changing color with time, it can. Look for some of the places that were painted but not exposed to sun, weather, engine oil, etc. Inside the car, on the firewall, up behind the gas tank, is a good place to look. This area is not exposed to weather and it was often not resprayed when a car was sprayed. Sometimes you can find some good, original paint up there. Also behind the kick panels in the car.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about your car. I'm happy to help.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote