Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
gpowers

Default Acts like it's starving for fuel.

I just recently bought my first Model A and I am having problems keeping it running. I put in a new battery and it starts right up. It runs and idles well but when I try to drive it, it will start sputtering, backfires, and then dies. If I try to start it right away, it won't fire at all. If I let it set, it will start right up but does the same thing over again.

I have drained the fuel sediment bowl and disconnected and blown out the fuel line. There is a slow but steady stream of fuel coming from the line. I have also taken the carburetor apart (Tillotson, Model X) and cleaned it. I've ordered a carburetor kit but it has not arrived yet. I am going to try adjusting the float next because it acts like it is running out of fuel. I do not believe it is a spark issue because it runs very well until it acts like its out of fuel. I have also turned off the fuel valve after it stops running and removed the drain plug from the bottom of the float bowl and there isn't much fuel that comes out. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Gene
gpowers is offline   Reply With Quote