Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
Craig CT

Default Bob

Happy birthday Bob. Bob is 89 years old today. Bob and I have been emailing each other since Shelly had the Barn and he has some great stories. If memory serves there's one about one guy shifting and steering a full fender ford while the other guy sat on the front fender working the throttle. Anyway Bob is one of the true hotrodders and a great guy to know. So happy birthday BOB, Craig.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Bob

Happy birthday Bob!
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
Happy birthday Bob. Bob is 89 years old today. Bob and I have been emailing each other since Shelly had the Barn and he has some great stories. If memory serves there's one about one guy shifting and steering a full fender ford while the other guy sat on the front fender working the throttle. Anyway Bob is one of the true hotrodders and a great guy to know. So happy birthday BOB, Craig.
Ditto to the above......and Happy Birthday Bob!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #4
B-O-B

Craig thanks But you shouldn't have told about My buddy working the throttle on my 38 deluxe coupe. We were test driving after installing a clutch had the brakes disconnected.
Forgot to hook the brakes up in our hurry up to getter on the road. It's a long story but here is the short version. Came down the hill flying & a grinning ): ): to show off to the guys standing in front of the station I worked there & the guy on the fender owned it.
Came to the stop sign & hit what I thought was brakes, nope nothing so I looked both ways & kept going. All Hell I didn't see the 48 Kaiser on my right, bushes in the way. We hit the Kaiser with the right front fender & it went sailing up in a yard only to hit a tree. Damn I thought DeArment would be crushed nope he went flying over the top of the engine, landed on his feet & just brushed himself off a bit, not even a scratch.
Everyone survived shaken but OK. The couple in the Kaiser were old & the car was pretty new. OH BOY cops arrived on scene license & registration & insurance HA. I don't have but one an out of state driver license furthermore I lived in Ohio & we were in Pa. I received a lengthy ticket. We took care of the repairs on the Kaiser & I paid my fine. The 38 had pretty good damage to the front but the hood was still nice cause it had not even be put back on. I sold the coupe. Only time I ever drove it. pretty car, it was light blue
My mother never new about it until years later when I was living & hotrodding in So Cal.
My aunt mom's S I L came to visit & gave her the newspaper clipping about the accident. Mom sent it to me. I never told my parent about my accidents', but they still found out. I totaled two beautiful 40 ford std coupes, a 51 caddy coupe-de-ville that I put up an old oak tree, totaled that one, hit so I buckled the rear 1/4s, the 50 chevy vert took out 13 guard rail posts & telephone pole. Thanks all for the wishes, more stories some other day. Lunch time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51cad.JPG (42.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 50chevy convt.jpg (77.1 KB, 181 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
I totaled two beautiful 40 ford std coupes, a 51 caddy coupe-de-ville that I put up an old oak tree, totaled that one, hit so I buckled the rear 1/4s, the 50 chevy vert took out 13 guard rail posts & telephone pole. Thanks all for the wishes, more stories some other day. Lunch time.

Happy Birthday B-O-B

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #6
B-O-B

Thanks Pete.
The chevy had enriched 270 Jimmy. I wasn't a bad driver just couldn't find time to sleep, so did it behind the wheel or on the bike. Tried going in& out the traffic lines & nodose but nothing worked.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #7
Mart

Thanks for sharing the story Bob and happy birthday.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Hey B-O-B - well happy birthday to yah! My Mom just turned 89 this year, so I KNOW 33 was a great year! Take care, have fun and do something you wouldn't want to have told your Mother about! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:07 AM   #9
reagen

Happy Birthday Bob !!
reagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #10
19Fordy

Bob, Enjoy every day because everyday is your new "birthday" on life.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #11
B-O-B

Thank You everyone & Ford Barn. The pic is the filet mignon & shrimp dinner my bride fixed. Boy was that nice with peach cobbler for dessert. It was a good day as any day that you wake seeing the sky is much better than grass roots.
B&S there was stuff that I did that I never told my folks about. I would just come home & crawl thru thru the window & hit the sack. I rode to work with my dad as we both worked in the same dept @ Westinghouse Electric. One day while riding to work he sez " When you go to bed & take your shoes off would you please drop the 2nd one also. I lay in bed awake half the night waiting for the other shoe to drop". He really thought he was big shot, riding to work in a
51 caddy.
Would have liked to went for a drive but yesterday, but 118 is just too hot.
B-O-B
Talk to you all next year. ha ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dinner 9-2-22.jpg (40.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 32 havasu3.jpg (78.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 09-03-2022, 02:48 PM   #12
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
Thank You everyone & Ford Barn. The pic is the filet mignon & shrimp dinner my bride fixed.
Would have liked to went for a drive but yesterday, but 118 is just too hot.
B-O-B
Talk to you all next year. ha ha

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
corvette8n

Happy Birthday, you got in a little mischief in your younger days, I hope your behaving now
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
petehoovie

I think B-O-B is still a 16 year old kid but he's trapped in a 89 year old body...

Old 09-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #15
5851a

Happy Birthday Bob, we are all here because we survived our past. Best wishes.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote