Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
2tudors

Default Re: Leaners...You guys hate leaners...?

My car is no where close to finished but makes me mad is every one of my neighbors thinks the stainless spreader bar on my 32 is a foot rest...
2tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
TomT/Williamsburg

That's why my avatar does not have fenders - folks usually sit or lean on the tires (not that it would matter all that much leaning on my car).

As for the leaners, many, many old hot rod pics/videos have guys leaning on cars. You really don't know if it's their's or someone elses but it's what you see....

However, I agree w/Vic - going to a car show is NOT like being in a new car showroom !!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
raceron1120

I dislike leaners about as much as I dislike people who bring their dogs around & let 'em piss on the tires. Both sets off my 'urge to kill' button.

I HAVE and WILL let those folks know just how much I don't like it too.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
BrianCT

The "accidents" with the doors are serious.
Boy, am I glad that I am not as up tight as you guys about the other clods.
Maybe you would be better off putting your cars in a museum.
I do agree that there are ignorant people , but there always will be and
I am not going to let them ruin my day.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
FL&WVMIKE

With my ole "beater", I don't have to worry too much about "leaners". Keeps my blood pressure down.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #26
CC33

The folks that do not respect other peoples property are the ones that think, "it's no big deal, it's just a little dent". I restored a '65 Good Humor truck, and did a lot of summertime events with it. The paint was near perfect and I polished the truck before every event.
The most memorable idiot was while I was set up at an event. Next to me were the hot dogs and hamburgers being sold, and this woman walks up and asks, "do you mind if I eat my lunch on the hood of your truck?".
I also had to buy the magnetic "Look Don't Touch" placards. But you are always dealing with and idiot in every crowd.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
FHFD

Some people get it
Some people don't
Some people never will

People who lean on others cars, let their kids act like animals, climb, touch, place food and drinks on your car..would do the same thing at a museum, if the displays weren't roped off.

Common sense, isn't so common any more.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
uncle max

I'm want a sign that says "Touch, but please don't look" for my heap.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
daddyyo

common sense! no to leaners!
daddyyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #30
jkeesey

My mentor has a 31 Dodge with the original black paint. Now granted its chipped here and there but its original. He went to a local fair and had the car parked in the general parking. As hes walking around he sees a kid running from his front fender, over the running board, and up the back fender. He goes over and yells at the child and the father and then goes back into the fair. Came back out to go home and found F*CK YOU scratched into the paint next to his rear window. To this day he will not take his cars anywhere where he is not near them at all times. Luckily he was able to touch it up so its not noticeable.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
jkeesey

Uncle Max im making a sign that reads "touch at your own risk" on mine
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #32
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
people that put thousands of dollars into painting their cars should put a fence around them. if you have a driver you should expect people to look at it and want to touch it. if you have a trailer queen stop trying to make it accessible for people. common sense. i have been into cars and rodding since the 50's and we always leaned on and sat on our rides and that is why to this day i cannot even consider spending 5000.00 on paint. it must be nerve wracking to spend so much money on something that nobody can touch. just my humble opinion, not trying to irritate anyone.
This topic has been beaten to death on every automobile forum out there, but just my two cents to respond to this post:

It's not always about the multi-thousand dollar paint job on a trailer queen. Sometimes it's about preserving what's left of a half-century old paint job on a good driver quality car. It's about respecting the hours of labor fixing, buffing, etc. that we put into these things that we love.

When I was a kid, we climbed and jumped on cars too. The cars weren't collectibles owned by a dedicated hobbiest.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
VeryTangled

Hi All, I remember some trick from the '60's when I was a kid that my Dad would use involving a Model T coil hooked to the body. I think I was about five or six when we'd use that stunt to get the hands-off message across. Anyone remember the details?

In the photo of the truck posted by 47COE, it looks like that guy is wearing jeans with the rivets in the back pocket corners! I don't think I could have let that slide. Getting the photo was a stroke of genius.

I think what I'm learning is that going off on the dumbasses may not be the best response. Maybe taking them for a walk-around and an informative description of the value of the vehicle to yourself, would be a better approach. Maybe waste a little of their time as payment.

There have been many times that I've let young'uns sit behind the wheel and toot the horn. I guess I should remember to explain that they shouldn't think that they can do that to all the cars.

As said earlier, some folks will never get it. Why they are at a car show, I don't know.

-VT/Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0221_zpsa71c3970.jpg (61.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 03-18-2013 at 03:09 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #34
Ken Crans

When i had my first 48' in high school my dad and i put a 390 C6 in it, Black laquer paint job, all my friends at school would always come over and lean on my fenders to see the big block i used to get so pissed! Now i got this show red on my new project.. I refuse to let that truck sit in the garage because i'm so paranoid! AARRGGHH!!
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #35
Talkwrench

I dont think its about high dollar paint, just simple respect of other peoples property no matter where it is.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
1932 V8

I don't care if you have a beater or a show car , I expect non-car people to do what they do because they don't know any better . I would expect car people to respect other peoples cars but there are a lot of them that don't . Simply amazing to me . I was brought up to not touch what is not yours . Show respect for what someone else has . Very simple and I think it applies to a lot more than cars . Unfortunately respect is going by the way side in this day and age . Very sad . Here is a pic of two guys at a V8 club event . I pulled up and they were all over my car . I had just met them both in passing , a simple Hi so in no way do I know them . One guy owns the 33 Phaeton in front of me and we was an authority and the other is building a 34 Phaeton. They were touching,pulling,and then just leaning on the doors to talk for quite a while . Did they hurt anything ??? No . Did they leave lots of fingerprints and arm prints on black paint and chrome top bows , yes . I was stunned . It's like they thought they had a right to do what they wanted because I am half their age and they are entitled .Kinda like I was a dumb kid with a Phaeton . The one expert even proceeded to tell me everything that was wrong on my car . The guy you see the most in the picture is trying to get his 34 Phaeton done for Tahoe V8 Grand national . I can't wait to go lean all over his car to check it out . We will see if I can bring myself to doing that , it sounds fun but it's still wrong !!!!!!

1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
Straightpipes

In today,s world there are a lot of people out there who don't have any respect for much of anything. They come to car shows. If you have a car that you are worried about don't bring it to the show.

I've had show cars in the past. Too many headaches. Now I have a 34 pickup and a 35 coupe. Both drivers and I don't woory near as much. I am not afraid to park them downtown or haul a load of lumber or dirt in the truck. No more shiny cars for me!

Once while in a judged show, I had a guy come over and tell me that the bolts that hold the grille in at the bottom wre in the wrong direction. He had to crawl down there to find it. I sez, " I put those bolts in that way to see if someone like yourself with superior knowledge of the Ford car would point them out" In the meantime his kid was adjusting my cowl mirrors.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #38
Seth Swoboda

I am pretty obsessive complusive about things like this but I don't like people stepping on the running boards of the 39 pickup. I know that is what they are for but the darn things are painted up so nice I just hate to see a scratch. Can you imgaine what the folks who once used these trucks for work would say about that! Never in their wildest dreams would they imagine someone would go to all the work of restoring these cars/trucks and then worry about scratches. Oh well, I will keep reminding people to stay off the running boards.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #39
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47COE View Post
You mean like this?

I don't know the guy leaning on my truck.

In the spirit of the bikini comment here's what one person does:

Tom
47COE,

I like that truck. How about some more photos of the truck inside and out?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #40
47COE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
47COE,

I like that truck. How about some more photos of the truck inside and out?
You can see some more I posted last fall in the fall photos thread.

Here are a couple of the inside. The inside is unrestored. It is representative of what the outside looked like at one time.

Tom
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote