Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2022, 07:40 AM   #1
Ray64

Default Battery

I wish i could find a battery that works like a computer battery. I have 2 computers about 10 years old and they never go bad. Hope they would make one for a model a that good', Just Hoping. What ya think? Maybe im dreaming LOL RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
Fhane

Default Re: Battery

Your computer battery is probably being charge whenever it is plugged in, lives in a nice controlled climate and rarely if ever abused, unlike what happens to car batteries.

I cruised for 3 years on a sailboat. All the systems were 12 volts except the watermaker and hot water heater. Charging system was a 60 amp charger that was powered by a generator or shore power, solar power, and 120 amp alternator. All charging was temperature regulated and regulated. The complete system probably cost around 10K. When i sold the boat 12 years later the batteries worked and tested as new.

We probably aren’t doing bad with our Model As considering all of the adverse conditions we put them thru.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #3
Brokenvette

Just dropped a new one in my car yesterday. Got 6 yrs. out of the old one. My stuff is in a climate controlled garage. Also on battery tender.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
nkaminar

Lithium ion batteries are starting to come on the market for starting cars. Very expensive. Meanwhile, Fhane has the right solution. I too had a sailboat with house batteries and if they are kept charged, but not overcharged, they will last a long time. Right now my Model A battery sits at home with a battery maintainer hooked up while I am traveling out west for 5 months. This battery maintainer has a desulphanetor built in.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Computers and smaller appliances that have rechargeable batteries are generally nickel metal hydride or lithium ion types. To produce these in a size and rating that will start a car engine is a bit on the expensive side and the method of charging it in a stock model A is not ideal for maintaining that type battery. If the battery is damaged for some reason due to the charging method or poor maintenance then the battery will start to deteriorate and can be a fire hazard.

A person can flog a lead acid battery as hard as they want to and it will not be a fire hazard. The price is less too. If it is well maintained then it can provide 4 to 6 years of service. The optima can provide even longer service if well cared for but the investment is nearly 2X what a regular flat plate lead acid type is. In any case take care of your battery and it will take care of you. They should be cycle operated at lest every 14 days or charged to peak capacity every 14 days with occasional operation cycles. An operation cycle is to start the engine and run till it is fully charged This keeps the sulfation to a minimum. Letting them set idle for a month is going to quickly kill the effectiveness of the plates and drastically reduce its service life.

I'm not a fan of maintainers since I've had customers call be up to order them a new battery because they went to start their helicopter up after several months only to find the maintainer dead along with the battery. By then the battery was badly sulfated and wouldn't charge back up. The 24-volt helicopter batteries are a lot more expensive than the car types. As far as maintenance advice goes is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-15-2022 at 10:39 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
SDJason

Compared to the previous lead-acid, I've been very happy with the Optima that I switched to - no more acid out-gassing eating up the connections and surrounding metal, no more worries about checking acid level - pretty much zero maintenance.

Mine's a driver, so I don't really care about not having the right "look" - and most people who see the car won't notice either.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
Tom Endy

My Victoria has a six-volt battery installed, purchased from O'Riley auto parts. I drive the car around the neighborhood most every day. I recently checked the battery for water level and noticed the date I installed it, 7-29-15. The battery is still going strong.

The Victoria has a six-volt positive ground alternator installed and keeps the battery fully charged.

A fully charged battery is a happy battery and lasts longer than a battery installed in a Model A with the stock generator because the battery is usually over-charged or not fully charged.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #8
Ray64

Thanks guy was just hoping
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #9
Oldgearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Compared to the previous lead-acid, I've been very happy with the Optima that I switched to - no more acid out-gassing eating up the connections and surrounding metal, no more worries about checking acid level - pretty much zero maintenance.

Mine's a driver, so I don't really care about not having the right "look" - and most people who see the car won't notice either.
Can't beat the Optima red top 6 volt. Put a maintainer on it once in awhile and you're always set to go.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

My lead/acid battery has been in the car for almost 9½ years now.

When the car is parked I put it on a DelTran Battery Tender Jr. I never let my battery charge get low. Never a problem with either battery or tender.

Along with regular maintenance I also have one other thing that I have mentioned on this site before.

I add 2 oz. battery oil per cell (12 volt). Some will call it "snake oil" but I have seen the results of using it. My battery terminals or battery box never corrode because the acid mist stays in the battery.

ThermOil https://www.thermoil.com

I have no interest in Thermoil.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-15-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #11
brito36

Try a battery for a newer Harley Davidson motorcycle. I have two Harley's and have to buy a new batteries every year. I had a 1970 Harley and the battery lasted 6 years. I don't know what the battery manufactures are doing wrong, but they need to go back to the old ways/materials. $150.00 for a small battery is ridiculous!
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #12
Kurt in NJ

the last Optima lasted me 16 years
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #13
Aretino

High Cranking amps take a toll on batteries
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #14
Gene F

I am not a fan of maintainers. The C-tec ones are good, but the rest of them are a problem. The scret is never let them draw down significantly. It is hard on them.
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #15
Synchro909

I don't know how old the Optima battery in my 1930 CCPU is (it's probably on the battery but I've never looked) but when I bought it from Arizona, I had owned it for 18 months before I saw it. It seemed to take forever due to strikes in the US and other transport problems. It arrived here in December 2015. Before it left the PO, I asked him to drain the fuel and disconnect the battery. On an earlier import, someone tried to start the car (with no clue how) and turned on the lights, then walked away. You can imagine how flat that battery was when it arrived here months later!!
Back to the P/U. After 18 months of sitting with no input (or discharge), it started the car as though it had just been charged. I was VERY happy with that.
I usually get 10 or so years out of a battery in my Model As and just how much I get is influenced by the quality of the battery I buy in the first place.