Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
larry harding

Default piston rings

when i stripped the old rings from the pistons there were wavy expanders under the second compression and oil rings. were these expanders a cheapo fix to get a few more miles from the original rings, or are they necessary? of course the new hastings don't have anything like this. this engine is worn but i am hoping a set of rings will buy me some time until i can do a complete rebuild on another block. the rod and mains are worn but tight with the shims removed.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: piston rings

Some oil control rings had/have the wavy expanders between two soild, smaller rings. They can/are a real pain to install, maybe they changed the design because of this ?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
jb-ob

Larry,

Unfortunately Model A rings are not all the same and since you didn't say what year your engine is, I'll share.

From 1929 forward, piston rings are available, BUT not the case with 1928. Seems for '28 all three ring grooves where the same 1/8th height including the oil ring. 1929 forward use a 5/32 oil ring with same ring groove.

Hastings no longer offers a 1/8th solid oil ring for '28 .... sounded like most of their production oil rings were the waffle with two thin scraper rings.

This is not to 'bash' Hastings, just the opposite. If it has piston rings, Hastings probably makes it. Good old American Mid West company, that still had the time to help one very little guy (me) find a single set of rings to get a motor running.

Hopefully you won't have this problem. JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
ursus

I have seen that design in some older ring sets that were specifically designed for replacing the rings in a piston at the time of a ring job, as opposed to the ring sets used on new pistons after a rebore. I would guess that rings backed by a wavy spring were thought to work better in a cylinder that has some taper from wear. Ring jobs were once a routine practice back in the days when shop labor was cheap, lubricants were primitive, and folks tried to stretch out the life of a worn engine any way they could. I recall seeing rings replaced and valves refaced with the engine in the car in the local Texaco station back in the days when they had mechanics that could take on almost anything.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
aermotor

Check out www.ringspacers.com - this guy is an expert and is very helpful.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote