Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
weemark

Default 35 roadster horn problem

hello, ive got a wee problem with the horns in my car. ive rewired the car, took the steering column apart and put it all back together and it all seems to work well. the horns are fine and work OK however as soon as I touch the steering wheel the horn sounds, if I move the wheel a little it the horn goes off, If my knee hits the wheel getting in and out of the car the horn goes off. I have disconnected the wires for the time being but cant leave it like this, I cant figure out where the short is... anyone else had this problem and can offer some advice?

thanks
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
koates

Default Re: 35 roadster horn problem

Hi there, Its possible that the contacts under the horn button are out of position and causing the horn wire inside the horn tube to be grounded. You need to slide the complete horn tube out of the steering column without bending it. Disconnect the headlight switch on the bottom of the steering box by unclipping the wire retaining bail and then remove (slide) the "U" shaped retaining clip from the groove in the end of the horn rod tube. Need to push up on the spring loaded switch rotating lugs to slide off the "U" clip. You may have to bend the tabs carefully up underneath the horn button so it can be dismantled for careful inspection. It is being grounded in there somewhere. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
weemark

ok, will have a look. there was no issues with it before I removed it so im not sure if this will be the issue but that's not to say it hasn't developed since I removed it. I didn't really have time to look at it last night when I was in the garage. should the horn rod be well greased when I put it back in?

I also noticed the steering wheel seems to have a small amount of play in it if pulled/pushed - should this be the case? I remember when I put the column back together the bushes didn't seem worn but maybe they are a little, ive got some new ones there so may change them for peace of mind anyway.

thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Terry,OH

It could be the spring under the horn button is a bit weak and allowing the button to contact the electrical contact at the end of the horn wire. If so the spring can be stretched out a bit. If you have the horn rod out for inspection make sure the steering column play is not between the steering shaft and the steering wheel, you may have to tighten the attachment nut. there should not be noticeable play in the column! If the play is in the steering box it will effect the steering. Make sure the steering box is properly attached to the frame. No grease or oil on the outside of the horn rod or inside the hole for the rod! Any grease, oil or dirt will cause the rod to bind with the steering then when driving it will cause the headlight switch to operate.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
weemark

a spring under the horn button? erm... I don't have one of those! well I cant remember having one on the column. there is a spring at the bottom of the column, part no. 3642, which is on the diagram - is this the one you mean?

does anyone have goes under a picture of the spring and anything else that goes under the horn button?

I have had a look at ven pelt site and that doesn't show a spring in the diagram

Last edited by weemark; 06-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Terry,OH

There is no diagram of the internal parts of the horn rod, including the horn button and the spring under it. Here are a couple of photos posted by other people. The copper colored spring is the one under the button (has the V8 logo)
Look at this posting regarding the horn rod for more details and assembly: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218851
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-36 horn button disassembled parts.jpg (47.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 35-36 horn button disassembled.jpg (45.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 06-09-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
weemark

thanks terry, ok got you now. im going to remove the horn rod later on to have a closer look at it to see exactly what I have. When you said the spring was under the horn button I didn't realise you meant under the horn button but on top of the switch plate - im sure I will have that spring in there but will check. many thanks for the pics, they have been really helpful.