Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #21
ian Simpson

Default Re: Double Clutch Upshift

I double declutch up and down on our collector cars, synchromesh transmissions or not just to save wear on those that I cherish.

However, I am well used to clutchless shifting on all manner of vehicles. It is standard practice out at the farm on the heavy trucks in order to maintain momentum. Also, when racing motorcycles for the same reason. One of my racing buddies used the magneto kill button instead of the clutch when upshifting his Manx Norton.

Finally, I have driven both a motorcycle and a car through rush hour traffic (in London, UK.) without being able to release the clutch. No big deal if you think about it.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #22
RonC

http://youtu.be/oMeHUTw9jkk
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #23
eagle

There are a lot of previous posts on shifting the A. Do it how you want, but if you're not grinding, you"re not hurting the transmission. I never double clutch, either up or down unless downshifting on a steep grade where it needs to be done in a hurry. As has been said here already. Keep your idle rpms low, take your time between gears, shift early, and know the right speed to slide it in. (RPMs and MPH) Use your head a little along with your feet and with practice it will become natural. The biggest thing is LISTEN TO THE CAR.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #24
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
I've known many truck drivers that drive their rigs like this as well. I've also seen guys operate a synchronized like this.

I have a word for it, it's called abuse. There is no way you could be perfectly timed every time you shift and any slight offset causes permanent damage. Maybe you're really good, but there are many that do it that aren't.

Obviously everyone is going to drive their cars, trucks and motorcycles the way they see fit and that's fine. I'll never shift a vehicle without using the clutch and will not shift a non-synchronized transmission without double clutching.
You said in an earlier post that you change at 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. Now that's abuse. Try shifting earlier when the difference in rpm is less. Your shifts will be quicker and smoother. Being quicker, you might even do better than leaving it in the lower gear and flogging the ring off it. Model A engines thrive on low end torque, not high end revs so the driver's gear changing should reflect that.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #25
Marshall57

I don't believe you need to double clutch when up shifting, when you do I believe you are taking the time needed to let the engine RPM drop enough to get it into the higher gear. Down shifting is a different idea all together, it is needed with a non-synchronized transmission. If you are really, really good you can indeed drive without a clutch, but it is not recommended as a mistake could chip a tooth or do other damage. I found it hard to shift correctly when my clutch was out of adjustment, I adjusted the freeplay and that did the trick.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #26
Karl

I never double clutch going up but do on downshifts. On upshifs my key is to time the change (always sooner than you think ) and to take my time in the change . Often I waggle the gear lever a little in the neutral plane to waste a little time berfore completing the up change . Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Might I also suggest draining and refiling with 600w oil from one of the vendors. It works for 80% of Fordbarners.
Bruce has a great idea here. Follow his advice and then go for a drive and report back, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #28
406CID

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. What a nice forum!

Ron: thanks SO MUCH for the video. I watched it several times.

Thanks,
Kyle
406CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #29
Willie Krash

For me first gear is walking speed, just get her moving then off to second no double clutching,
if I wind first gear out I shift slower or double clutch depending on the need.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #30
P.S.

Here is an older video, but it just cuts through the Bravo Sierra and gets right to the double vs. single clutching a Model A. Also shows how to downshift.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bgvwXpkHrWI
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #31
mshmodela

My first automatic transmission car was a 2006 Jeep Liberty (so 30 years of total manually driving) As a year and half model A owner, I had to toss out a lot with regards to shifting my model a. The best advice a got was to SLOW my shifting rate... and double clutch both up and down shifting... I let the gears spin in neutral with the clutch released for almost a whole second... figuring to let them get to the same speed... Down shifting around a corner from 3rd to 2nd is the same but I'm no more than 15mph...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote