Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
jon laing

Default Ethanol gas

I have been told not to use ethanol gas in my stock 1939 ford. Non ethanol is VERY hard to find. Some marina grade gas is defined as "Convention mid grade" and is not supposed to have ethanol. Marinas are not easy to find when you need gas. Are there any additives that can make ethanol gas acceptable? Jon Laing
jon laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Ross F-1

Default Re: Ethanol gas

Most marinas won't sell gas to cars, no road use taxes are collected. Add a little MMO to gasohol and go for it.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
solidaxle

The only non e-gas we have around my neck of the woods is high test. That's too high of octane to run in my 8ba. So I'm stuck with the 87 e-gas. I don't think there is anything you can add to counter the rubber eating effects of ethanol.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
mhsprecher

You can remove the ethanol from gasoline, but I wouldn't try it. There are threads on the Model A forum that explain the procedure to do so, if you want to search. This subject has been discussed far and wide. Unfortunately, nothing seems likely to change about the foisting of this stuff off on us.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
jon laing

What is MMO and where do you get it? Jon Laing
Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Jon, as Ross has advised, Marvel Mystery Oil is your only option to help minimize the damage caused by ethanol. 4 ounces in your gas tank at fillup will be good news for the following components and more:

fuel tank cap gasket
fuel gauge sender
fuel tank
fuel pickup tube
fuel line
fuel flex line
fuel pump diaphram
fuel pump gaskets
fuel pump valves
carburetor float valve
carburetor jets
carburetor power valve
carburetor pump valve

MMO is an aid for these systems directly by helping to protect from damage, and indirectly in the prevention of clogging by rust particles dislodged elsewhere in the fuel system. There are replacement parts engineered with materials that resist the damage caused by ethanol, and there are fuel filters to aid in the removal of rust particles, but nothing you can do would produce more positive effects than to get rid of the politicians that brought ethanol to your car.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Sal

I have seen real gasoline for sale about 10 miles from my home. The only draw back is the high price. Then when you think about the problems caused by ethanol, I just rather buy it or use mmo.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
B-O-B

azz,grass or gas somebody has to pay. No free rides in this day & age.
MMO=4oz to 10 gal of fuel also 2 0z of marine grade ethanol treatment( to 10 gal) STA-BIL( blue or green in color). Wally world or auto parts stores.
You can try gas buddies for best prices & regular gas. I would put aviation fuel in my vette every so often. Sometime I would just drive it up to the pump & other times take fuel cans.Small town airport. Anybody says anything tell them it's for your race car. Some stations also sell racing fuel.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
dwkahler

hi to all,my name is don.
i own a 1953 ford f 500 truck,with the flat head v8.
i recently changed the fuel pump,and replaced the fuel filter with
a filter that i got off the shelf. i changed the oil,after changeing the fuel pump,as this was recommended per fuel pump instructions.
i thought i made a good fix,however it began to run very ruff a short time later. it was my thinking that a good tune up,and new carb would fix this situation.i believe that gas is somehow leaking into the crank case,as i can smell it from the dip stick.what is causeing this? is it the off the shelf fuel filter? i am now wondering if this motor needs a compleate rebuild?
thankyou for any advise.
don
dwkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

You can change these parts and you will be pretty well protected, fuel flex line,pump diaphragm,pump valves if rubber coated,float inlet needle,power valve,and lastly the carb accelerator pump. Get rid of these components and you will be set to go. All are avalible from certain people on here. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkahler View Post
hi to all,my name is don.
i own a 1953 ford f 500 truck,with the flat head v8.
i recently changed the fuel pump,and replaced the fuel filter with
a filter that i got off the shelf. i changed the oil,after changeing the fuel pump,as this was recommended per fuel pump instructions.
i thought i made a good fix,however it began to run very ruff a short time later. it was my thinking that a good tune up,and new carb would fix this situation.i believe that gas is somehow leaking into the crank case,as i can smell it from the dip stick.what is causeing this? is it the off the shelf fuel filter? i am now wondering if this motor needs a compleate rebuild?
thankyou for any advise.
don
You have a blown power valve in the carb or you switched the PV and the spark valve around and are in the wrong places. But your gas in the oil is leaking through the PV gasket. ken ct. Was this a brand new pump from China???
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
dwkahler

hi to all,
i am new to this site.
haveing problems with my 1953 f-500 flathead v8 239
thinking that gas is leaking into the crankcase.
i have changed the fuel pump and filter with a off the shelf filter.
i changed the oil after changeing the fuel pump as per fuel pump instructions. i was thinking that this was a good fix,however a short time later it began to run ruff. thinking that iam getting fuel somehow leaking
into the crankcase. how is this happening? does this engine need a compleate rebuild?
i have only owned this truck for a short time, not sure of the in's and out's of the flathead v8. can you help,thank you don.
dwkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
fordor41

I've had to use 10% ethanol gas in my '41 Ford , should I say it, street rod for many years. I've pulled the carb apart after 10 yrs or so and saw no signs of any deterioration what so ever. No problems with my fuel pump. I did change any fuel hoses to nitrile hose. But I drive the snot out of it so gas doesn't sit in it long. I do put Sta-bil in it in the winter. I've heard all the horror stories about ethanol but have never actually talked to anyone that actually traced any problem to ethanol We've used E-10 for probably 10 yrs or longer.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
34ford

along with the marvel oil i use lead additive
34ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
ford38v8

I didn't know anyone still used lead additive! That's true loyalty!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
jon laing

Is nonethanol HIGH octane gas a better option? My local station has this. Jon Laing
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
G.M.

The problems with the hose, pump and carb parts are not the big expensive part of the ethanol problem. The big problem is vapor lock on 90 degree plus days. The time consuming expensive problem is the water this fuel attracts in the fuel tank. In later cars made for ethanol they don't have vented tanks and also have plastic tanks and floats. I have some fuel injected later cars that only get started and driven around the block maybe once a year and after a number of years no problems and they run good. On the old Fords the vented tanks allow the ethanol to absorb moisture into the tank. I suspect this could be worse in different parts of the country. I live in S.W. Florida on the water where it is around 90 degrees most of the year with high humidity. The moisture forms on the inside top and sides of the tanks above the fuel level making heavy rust and destroys the sender and even ate the brass float in one car. I have been here for over 30 years and never had this problem until a few years ago after using ethanol. People in cooler drier climate may not have the same results. G.M.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
FL&WVMIKE

Quality USA made Ethonol proof carburetor and fuel pump parts are available at:

DAYTONA PARTS CO.
1191 Turnbull Bay Rd.
New Smyrna Beach, Fl 32168

www.DaytonaParts.com
[email protected]

386-427-7108

MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
FL&WVMIKE

A state by state listing of where you can buy non-ethonol gasoline.
This listing is dated, so it might not be 100% accurate.
MIKE
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
TagMan

"The only non e-gas we have around my neck of the woods is high test. That's too high of octane to run in my 8ba."

High octane gas will not hurt your engine. It won't improve performance, but it won't do any damage at all. I've used high octane, Ethanol-free gas in my '37 for years with no problems whatsoever.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote