Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
Chuck Dempsey

Default Father's Day Poll

Who in the 'Barn inherited, through parent's death or as a gift from them, a Model A that they STILL OWN?

I did, so I'll start as '1'.....

Thanks
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Father's Day Poll

you were very fortunate.

I recd a delicious key lime pie for Fathers Day. I was very glad for that!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
1930artdeco

I got my A when I graduated from college. At a car show as I write.

Mike
Old 06-18-2023, 08:25 PM   #4
jack backer
BANNED

A cheap plate topper is the only thing left from my fathers days with model A’s. He bought model A’s for 5 or ten bucks, ran them on penny a quart drain oil..the topper was bought for a 31 coupe which was purchased for 25 bucks and driven from New York to Florida by 2 GIs ( ma father being one) and a 4F nurseryman in 1947.. my father lost all his money at the dog track so the other two left him.. with the coupe too, when my father got back to NY he took the topper off that same 25 dollar coupe that made the round trip.. and beat up the other GI for leaving him broke in FL..that topper is on my A today..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00E87322-7E6F-43E8-87EF-2670C43F5B16.jpg (56.5 KB, 31 views)
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
Chuck Dempsey

Jack, nice story!
Old 06-19-2023, 08:05 AM   #6
Curtis in MA

My father gave me mine in the 80's and I still have it.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
jack backer
BANNED

Model A’s through the years went through many ‘cycles’. from new to old, easy to fix or throw away transportation, then to restoration. The car also bore witness to the cycle of modification, from the hopping up of A engines pre war to the engines of today.

All of these phases are part of the cars history..yet you rarely see a home made pickup or a 50’s survivor car..or a 40’s A powered hotrod, though they do have a following… The A of my fathers day were disposable inexpensive transportation that grew on the owners and led to the clubs of today.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:37 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I did, -and do.

Matter of fact, I also inherited my 'business trade' from my father. Dad started collecting & restoring Model-As before I was born, -and while growing up, I was fortunate to work beside him in the garage on Model-As. Then later in life when I was 37, I turned my Father's hobby into my living. I even had the great fortune of my Dad working as an employee in my business for several years.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:10 AM   #9
jgriffin

My Dad got his Model A on his 40th birthday and drove it for a couple years before putting it into storage. My 40th rolled around last August and that is what he gave me! This one is going to be in the collection until the next kiddo in the family shows an interest in the hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220904_154146.jpg (73.5 KB, 33 views)
jgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:22 AM   #10
DKnapp

My Grandfather gave me his 1929 Business Coupe in 1954. I drove that car to High School in 1955 and I still have it. It as been through two restorations. I recently installed the oval windows and now I am giving it to my oldest Grandson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060921.jpg (93.9 KB, 29 views)
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 12:26 PM   #11
Chuck Dempsey

Great stories, all. Thanks! Any more?
Old 06-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #12
Keith

I have my fathers 1931 Roadster which he gave me in 1992 as at the time I was not making any progress on the 31 Coupe that I brought it in 1974, so that together we could drive to the 1992 MARC Meet in Buffalo. I also now have his 1930 Briggs 4-dor which we maintain and drive on short and long tours and will be running the MAFCA National Tour in July with it. Six years ago I gave my coupe to my daughter and her husband and they have since added a 31 slant windshield sedan to tour with a growing family. This said we are now on 4 generations of Model A family. Keith
Old 06-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #13
CablerNC

My dad gave me his years ago, I still have it and drive it
CablerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
johnneilson

From Step Father,

it will remain as much as possible until handed down again

pic is an ink sketch rendering
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Popskoop1inksketch.jpg (154.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-19-2023, 05:20 PM   #15
JKY

In a roundabout way. Dad had a '29 Tudor that I rode in as a kid and would drive when he was gone and I thought I could get away with it. It was very faded blue. I remember him cutting the deal on it when it was in his parent's neighbor's chicken coupe. There was an old girls fat wheel bike in there too and they threw that into the deal for me. Rode that bike for a long time. Dad sold the Tudor when I was in college.

I went to Bert's in Denver to look at a '28 roadster pickup, but that one wasn't for me. Steve had a '29 Tudor there that had 412 miles on it since it's restoration. Took it for a drive and bought it using the inheritance money dad and mom left me. I named the car Pops. So in a roundabout way, yes, I got a Model A from my dad.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #16
JoeCB

Yes, my father bought our 31 Coupe for me in 1963. His idea of a "keep me out of trouble" during high school project. I still have the car. That picture in my avatar, is of dad in front of the Ford factory building at Greenfield Village. With the help of school friends we did a frame off 1960's style restoration. Dad and I poured the babbet, mom sewed the upholstery on her trusty Singer. I did the body work (No bondo , lead) Friends and I did the lacquer paint,. a little dull now but no cracks, pealing or rust. The car is all stock (except for the added fuse block and safety glass), starts every spring, runs well and has never, repeat never let me down on the road. About 14,500 miles since 1964.
Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #17
Ivan in southeast va.

Dad had a 31 Town Sedan and a 31 Wide Bed Pickup. In 2011 he brought the pickup over to my house and asked me to keep it in my garage for a while. Several months later for my birthday he signed over the title. I still have the pickup but dad passed away last year. Dad was cremated and we are planning to spread some of his ashes in the mountains and bury the rest. Until then, he watches over my pickup in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Train Tour 1.jpg (189.0 KB, 31 views)
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:43 PM   #18
henry's 31

I have 5 Model A's and my first one was given to me by my Dad in 1986 and I still have it.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:43 PM   #19
Chuck Dempsey

More great stories. I'm GLAD I asked!
Old 06-19-2023, 11:05 PM   #20
stickshift

I'm glad you asked too. I enjoyed the pictures and stories. I didn't get a model A from my Dad, but I remember him talking about them a lot. In my teen years all I could think of were Corvettes and Camaros. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate the stories my Dad told me about Model A's. That's why I bought mine, in memory of him and those stories.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:52 AM   #21

Not a model 'A' but for my 20th Birthday I was given a 1929 DA Dodge Six, a one owner car it had a total of 62K miles on the speedo, still only has 69.5k. He bought three of my brothers a car all of which cost around 50 poundsAus, one of which was a low mileage Model A. I have had the Dodge 57 years.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:32 AM   #22
Stretch Cab

Antique cars have always been in our family so I grew up with that. My mother bought my dad a 31 Roadster for his 40th birthday and that was over 53 years ago. I still have the car along with an early 30 Rdst. PU, 36 Fordor Deluxe, Model T Depot Hack and brass era special bodied car that my grandfather built. All the cars were given to me by my dad.
As I have lived outside of the US for a lot of my adult life the cars have been in storage, but I think this is the year to get them out and running. At least I hope!
Old 06-20-2023, 07:36 AM   #23
Chuck Dempsey

Good Luck, Stretch. I get through Lexington from time to time, so I'll be on the look-out!
Old 06-20-2023, 07:49 AM   #24
Ramman

I now own the 29 Tudor my Great Grandfather bought new right before the market crashed. I'm the fourth family member to be the caretaker. Has never left the family.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:50 AM   #25
Ray in La Mesa

My Dad was not a car guy so I only have one picture of a '31 roadster he had.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #26
Chris in WNC

Best thread on here in a long time.
Keep those stories coming.

I'm the first "old car" person in my family.
Bought the first Model A in 1986, have had a total of six + a 37 Plymouth, 35 Chevrolet and 59 Apache truck.

Our 22-year-old granddaughter says if I get another one it will be hers when I'm gone.......
Old 06-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #27
History

I inherited mine as my siblings weren’t interested. I think my dad would be happy I got it as I’m the history nut in the family. The car itself wasn’t that special to him, found locally and probably the correct year for his first car. I wish he had found something closer to fully restored as I’m finding out it’s expensive and time consuming to get things right. I have received an education so that’s a plus. I hope my son takes it one day and appreciates it.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #28
Keith True

My uncle went off to the marines in 1954 and parked his A in the shed.He then went to college and on to a career as a rep for Bucyrus Erie.He was here visiting in 1968 and told me he wasn't moving back here,so if I wanted that A I could have it.I was 12,and my mother had learned to drive in it,and thought I could do the same.I still have it,although it's on it's second frame and third body.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:48 AM   #29
Chuck Dempsey

I was 12,and my mother had learned to drive in it, and thought I could do the same. I still have it, although it's on it's second frame and third body.

Mr. True, what's left? Just the engine and axles? I'm missing something!?!
Old 06-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #30
Ramman

[QUOTE=
Our 22-year-old granddaughter says if I get another one it will be hers when I'm gone.......[/QUOTE]

I'd get another one and put it in writing that she gets her pick(s) when you pass.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #31
chapmark256

My Dad drove with my Granddad from Hokes Bluff Alabama to almost Dothan Alabama and picked up my great grandfathers model A Tudor and dad drove it back to Hokes Bluff (250 miles) That is where I was able to inherent it in the early 90’s. I have been working it as a survivor.
chapmark256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #32
Keith True

It had been used as both the family car and tractor,so the rear of the frame had been patched a lot,so I used a different frame.The coupe body had the rumble replaced with a pickup box made in Amesbury Mass,and was used so hard the sides of the body and fender tops were ruined.I put a closed pickup cab on it.I drove it for 15 or 20 years,and the guy that used to own the cab asked me if I would sell the truck,as his grandfather had given the cab to him.I didn't want to sell the truck,because of the family thing.So he bought me a new Brookville open cab,and I gave the closed cab to him.I got a new open cab and he got his old cab back,but all painted,upholstered,trimmed,etc.I can no longer post pictures here without jumping through hoops of I would put one up.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #33
Chuck Dempsey

Thanks for the explanation! Not sure I could keep all of that straight in my head....
Old 06-20-2023, 11:48 AM   #34
Keith True

There's actually more to the story.My uncle was here visiting my mother about 15 years ago and she brought him over to look at my A's.He was looking at the pickup,and asked what I had done with the one had given to me.I told him,you're looking at it.He had assumed that I had done what most kids did with junk cars,attack it with some wrenches,tear it all apart,learn a little something and get rid of it.A few weeks later my mother got a package in the mail,it was the horn off that car.When he left in 1954 he took it off and stashed it away,because that would be the first thing to be stolen off A's.It's now back hanging under the same headlight bar it left the factory with.It had spent over 50 years sitting on his desk out on the west coast.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #35
Chuck Dempsey

Made a unique 'paper weight', for sure....
Old 06-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #36
1928Mik

Mine was purchased by my Dad in 1964. It was original but the upholstery basically broke apart with age as did the top. Then the engine had an issue so we pulled it out. By that time it needed some updating so we restored it in the 80's. After it was restored my Dad drove it for awhile, then parked it in his heated garage on jackstands with all the fluids still in it and left it. He wouldn't allow anyone to mess with it but I would sneak out to turn the motor over now and then. It sat that way for 30 yrs. He passed away in 2016 and lo and behold left it to me in his will. I got it fired up 3 months later and now our family is getting some great use out of it and my son wants the car after I'm gone...

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:22 PM   #37
1942deluxe

Our Model A was my father in laws. He had put my name on the title several years back. When I drove it I'd tell him I was taking my half of the Model A for a ride. He passed this January at 90 years old. I was the only one in the family that had any interest in old cars.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #38
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
I now own the 29 Tudor my Great Grandfather bought new right before the market crashed. I'm the fourth family member to be the caretaker. Has never left the family.
I was telling my Dad, "think about it this car really took cars to the next level for working people back in the day. And someone had this car during The Depression". People now days have no idea what that meant.

Last edited by Gene F; 06-20-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #39
David in San Antonio

My 31 Roadster was in the prior owner's family for 65 years. The proverbial barn find in West Virginia, it had been used to deliver mail in the hills and hollers in Appalachia. The man who sold it to me was a teenager in 1957 when he and his father completely disassembled it and restored it to stock specifications. He said it was his job to dip each piece in a lye bath then scrub it with a wire brush. After some long period they figured out the lye wasn't helping anything so they dropped that step. Makes me really appreciate the amount of persistence and dogged effort in those pre-internet days. Anyway, in 1959 they drove it from Pittsburgh to Dearborn for the MARC meeting, where it won top honors. It was passed from one family member to another for 65 years.

As for my son, well he is pretty scornful of the A because it pollutes. He lusts after a Bugatti Veyron or "at least a Maybach" and I wish him best of luck in that pursuit.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 PM   #40
electricman

My Dad bought his 1930 pickup being used as a prop from the front of a gas station plastered with Flying A gas stickers . That was 1956 and he paid $55 for it in not running condition. I was 5 years old at the time and remember sitting next to my grandpa as Dad towed it home using a rope. My first impression as I looked down between my feet and seeing the street go by[no floorboard] was that my Dad and Grandpa were crazy, but in a good way. Well, after going to the local wrecking yard and miking a piston from a pile Dad got it running.
Dad drove that Model A as his only transportation from then to 1971 when a friend sold him a 1969 Camaro. Now both are in my care.
electricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:54 PM   #41
retubjb

My dad bought the 30 Tudor in 1970 when I was 9 years old. I have many wonderful memories of "helping him" restore it, as he did a complete frame of restoration and took it to the 1972 national meet and was 4 points away from a trophy (he didn't have metal valve stems). When he died in 2015 I became the owner because my brothers have no interest in it. When someone says that they like my car I respond "Thank you, it will always be my father's car, I am just the caretaker of it." My son says that he wants it when I am gone. After 50 years of use, it's really showing its age but I hate to think of redoing/changing what he worked so hard at completing.
retubjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:46 AM   #42
dave in australia

I inherited a few things Model A from my dad. First of, his fondness for the Model A, especially 28-29 models. Then mechanical skill and passion to work on, restore and repair Model A's. Thirdly, a lot of parts, which I now store for both of us, as he is still alive. In the 1960's, dad would go around the local farms and buy or salvage Model A's that were no longer in use, or ones dumped in river beds etc. Some were only good for an engine block or a front axle, but he would salvage it anyway. He did miss out on one of the rarest Australian bodied Fordors once, as he didn't know of the body style, which was a fabric covered body, only two were made in Australia. The other Fordors were either Briggs or Murrays. So now we have eight between us, and many engines and other spares.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #43
Chuck Dempsey

Great Stories, all....
Old 06-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #44
Ayers1

My dad bought a 28 Fordor in 1963 when I was a year old. I got it last year when he passed at the age of 89. I plan to pass it on to one of my daughters when I fall over in (hopefully) 30 years.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #45
Keith True

There are two guys,one 10 miles from me,another 12 that have the A's their MOTHERS bought new.Both are Tudors,one is a 29 the other a 30.One guy is very much a car guy,but heavily into rods and customs.He does appreciate antiques though,and does drive his mothers original.The other guy is an old motorcycle guy,he just keeps and drives his mothers car just because it was hers.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #46
Ayers1

I have a friend that has his aunt's 30 coupe. She bought it brand new and he has everything that came with the car. Paper receipts, tools etc. It only has 18,000 miles and is 100% original. It's amazing just to look at!
Old 06-25-2023, 12:04 PM   #47
stevemclark

My grandfather bought a 1930 deluxe coupe for $100 in 1950 I think. When he died my dad got it, when my dad could could no longer drive I got it and put my sister on the title too to keep it in the family in case one of us dies.I have been working on it on and off since 1972 with a big gap to 5 years ago and have rebuilt every thing but the transmission which needs bearings and the differential that is OK .About $15000 so far in parts and still need an interior plus a paint job. this car has been in a garage since it was new and has no dents or rust.When I get done it will probably not be worth what I have in it but it did not cost anything to start with.I am happy with a car has 86000 miles ,

Last edited by stevemclark; 06-25-2023 at 12:54 PM.
stevemclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:19 AM   #48
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemclark View Post
My grandfather bought a 1930 deluxe coupe for $100 in 1950 I think. When he died my dad got it, when my dad could could no longer drive I got it and put my sister on the title too to keep it in the family in case one of us dies.I have been working on it on and off since 1972 with a big gap to 5 years ago and have rebuilt every thing but the transmission which needs bearings and the differential that is OK .About $15000 so far in parts and still need an interior plus a paint job. this car has been in a garage since it was new and has no dents or rust.When I get done it will probably not be worth what I have in it but it did not cost anything to start with.I am happy with a car has 86000 miles ,
As previous owner of several unrestored originals, I understand replacing the interior, but if it has been garaged since new, think long and hard about re-painting it.
It looks great, enjoy it as is.....
Old 06-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #49
stevemclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
As previous owner of several unrestored originals, I understand replacing the interior, but if it has been garaged since new, think long and hard about re-painting it.
It looks great, enjoy it as is.....
It was repainted in 1972 when we put a new interior and rebuilt motor.It still looks good.I was 14 ,my dad and me put it in his garage pulled the light bar , radiator ,floor boards etc. We put a hand lever come-a-long on the motor ,pulled it up ,pushed the car back then backed a new 1972 Datsun pickup a bare bone truck and lowered it onto a wooden frame my dad made. Then we drove 100 miles to Richmond Va. to a re-builder that could do the babbit bearings.I think it was the crazy high price of $300, the truck was $1950 and I still have it. 75000 miles.Look at the tags year.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #50
Ayers1

I love your A but the Datsun brings up a lot of memories. My dad bought one new in '71, mustard yellow and it was t-boned about 5 years later. He rebuilt it and drove it a couple of more years before he sold it.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:22 AM   #51
stevemclark

That "Lil Hustler" Datsun is not a Model A but I think it had the spirit , basic nothing extra on it,1600cc 96 hp, 101.1 in. wheelbase,2286 lbs. only a temp and gas gauge all drum brakes that faded faster than the Model A and I remember being with dad when he picked it up .
Old 07-05-2023, 09:25 PM   #52
John Dayhuff

I did not inherit my fathers Phaeton but I did accidentally come across the guy that bought it from my dad 28 years earlier, pure luck. After the man died the family sold it in a estate auction and I was the high bidder.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:07 PM   #53
Model "A" Fords

My father and uncle bought a 1928 phaeton in 1942. Owning a 1941 Chrysler they needed the A to obtain more gas rations. In 1944 they were going to sell the car but a huge snowfall shut down the streets. The Phaeton could handle the deep snow so it was used to make the daily delivery of meat pies to the Westinghouse Canteen from my Mother and grandfathers' pastry shop.
That convinced them not to sell the car and they used it in their post & pole business delivering poles tied along the side of the car. Fence posts where placed across the rear doors and body behind the driver.
Their stock of poles would arrive on railroad flat cars spotted on the main line which required unloading by hand before the next scheduled train. The cars had to be shifted along the track to unload according to pole length. They used a hand operated leaver to get the car moving then the Phaeton was used to kept it going to the proper spots.
In the late 1950s the family joined the car club and the Phaeton got its first restoration. In the beginning the car was considered modern and had to park with the everyday drivers. That soon changed and the Phaeton has been doing car events continuously since.
Dad often gave rides in his A to the elderly folks in retirement homes. He was older than most of the so called elderly from the homes but he loved sharing his car with everyone!
Since there were three boys in the family my Dad asked us to decide who got the car when he was gone. Two of us had Model A's of our own at the time so the other brother inherited the Phaeton. We now have six A's in the family. We were introduced to the Model A before we were born, tucked inside our mother sitting in the passenger seat of that same 1928 Phaeton. I don't recall that but it's true. That means I have been associated with Model A's for nine months longer than I've been born.
Dad has continued in his Phaeton since death as his ashes accompany the car to some events.
We've shared great times together starting with the purchase of that 1928 Model A Ford Phaeton in 1942 that almost sold in 1944 but was saved because of a Canadian snow storm!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote