Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Can Mice Really Get Into A Sedan or Coupe?

In the 70's I was working on my uncle's 67 Chevy pickup with the hood open when mouse ran up the underside of the hood. Must have had magnets on it's feet, or suction cups. I never could figure out how a mouse could do that.

I'm setting out a bunch of traps tomorrow, including a 5 gallon bucket with drain oil.

BTW I always drill 1/8" holes in the wood trap so I can wire it down, otherwise half of them turn up gone.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I watched a mouse climb 14' up the shop cinder block wall
Dam circus mouse!!!!!!!!!

zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #23
Special Coupe Frank

Irish Spring bar-soap is also supposed to be a good deterrent for rodents.

It's surprising, but the little buggers can and do get into "closed cars", even later than a Model A.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
mshmodela

A young mouse can get in if the opening is the size of a dime, a Rat, the size of a quarter --the limit is their skull size.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #25
denis4x4

Spent $800 in August on wiring damage on my wife's Porsche caused by mice.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #26
Aok

No children no pets. I keep a good supply of poison in and around the cars. Cars in the garage ok occasionally find a dead mouse on the floor. As others said can not keep them out if they want to get in so like any unwanted intruder they need to be killed.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Don't ask me why but my techs like to torch them with carb cleaner. Is that mean
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
zzlegend

yaaaeeeeeeesss
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #29
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Irish Spring bar-soap is also supposed to be a good deterrent for rodents.

It's surprising, but the little buggers can and do get into "closed cars", even later than a Model A.
We use Irish Spring at home and on the farm. Works as well as moth balls in my opinion.

FWIW my father-in-law had mice in the heater box of his Dodge based motor home. They got in by squeezing through the grill at the base of the windshield.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #30
Dbuehl

There’s only so much you can do to keep them out. They will always find a way to get in. We used to have all kinds of problems with our camper until I had the Ehrlich guy start treating it while he was out for the quarterly house visit. At the advice of the Ehrlich guy he places baiters at easy access points. The rodent makes a bee line right for the baiter. It’s easy food with no work involved. The baiters have a cube of super yummy food. BUT also contains something that immediately makes the rodent incredible thirsty. They turn right round & exit the house, camper, car & look for water. They then proceed to drink & drink & drink until the drown in their own tissue. With the baiters there is no disposal of decaying rodents since they end up dying outside.
Dbuehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #31
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
yaaaeeeeeeesss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuehl View Post
There’s only so much you can do to keep them out. They will always find a way to get in. We used to have all kinds of problems with our camper until I had the Ehrlich guy start treating it while he was out for the quarterly house visit. At the advice of the Ehrlich guy he places baiters at easy access points. The rodent makes a bee line right for the baiter. It’s easy food with no work involved. The baiters have a cube of super yummy food. BUT also contains something that immediately makes the rodent incredible thirsty. They turn right round & exit the house, camper, car & look for water. They then proceed to drink & drink & drink until the drown in their own tissue. With the baiters there is no disposal of decaying rodents since they end up dying outside.
I agree with the baiters, I own a log home in the mountains in N. Carolina, no matter how good the construction of the log home is there is still openings especially when the logs expand and contract. We always leave glue traps in specific areas of the house, if we were not down there for a few months we would find 5, 6 or 7 dead mice on the traps. I had Terminix put baiters around the outside of the house, these are industrial size probably 12" x 12" x 5"' I think probably 8 or 9 of those surrounding the house. Now we may see 1 dead mouse inside on the traps....they do work. I have 5 or 6 small ones you can buy from Lowes or Home Ddpot in my garage and no issues.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #32
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I had a wild resident snake (not sure what kind) in my attached garage for several years in the late 1990's and had no mice problems during that time. One later particular year without the snake I loaded up many glue traps with field mice, often two or three in a single trap in the morning. I did not bait the glue traps, only placed them along the walls near the suspected entrances to the garage.

Then I started storing the dry dog food in a steel trash can.
If I remember right, Ive heard of putting just the snake skins around the garage will deter mice due to the smell of it. If I were prey and I saw a snake skin I wouldn't stick around to see if the snake was still there or not...

Ill have to look up the baiters - seems like a good option! Whole point of pest control is to keep the buggers out - not attract them in!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Like Vince said keep all food and consumables in sealed containers and off the floor.. Helps greatly
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #34
eagle

Put some washing soda or cheap powdered laundry soap around each tire/wheel of the car. Mice hate the smell.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #35
Gary/IA

I feel sorry for the little devils when they can't find water to drink during the winter months, so I leave a couple of jar lids filled with anti-freeze on the garage floor for them.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #36
Chuck Sea/Tac

25 years ago when we bought our house, we had a rat problem. I went in the basement bathroom ,which had an open ceiling at the time, and a big rat came out of the ceiling and ran full speed for the closed door. There was about a half inch space under the door, and he went under it without slowing down. Thank goodness! It was amazing he could squeeze thru that small of a space, that fast.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #37
Oldbluoval

We are electricians and have noted mice will eat the vinyl off of romex wire! I had them eat the plastic off the magnetic door gasket to get to dog food I had in a small refrig. I think the mice ate it because there was little or no debris on the floor where the gasket was mauled!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #38
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary/IA View Post
I feel sorry for the little devils when they can't find water to drink during the winter months, so I leave a couple of jar lids filled with anti-freeze on the garage floor for them.
that used to work, except years ago they made it non toxic due to too many pets and kids drinking it...

I need to find me a snake, let it loose in the garage and leave a 60 W bulb on for him over a towel so he has a place to stay and wants to stay.

Also noted about keeping food in sealed metal containers: dont have birdfeeders anywhere near the garage - buggers will run outside, collect all the fallen seed and bring it into the garage...Still finding bird seed everywhere...

And what tom said about tying the traps down: I put out the little glue traps and noticed one was missing, then found it upside down between a floor jack and a metal cabinet across a 2 car garage. Picked it up and had a live mouse stuck to it by its tail! He got "disposed" of... 4x4 post tends to do that in a bucket - then toss it out by the road, usually within 5 minutes a crow or hawk will scoop it up. So yea I hate killing them but its still quick death and something gets a free meal so the world is back in balance haha.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #39
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I was ruminating about this because of all the posts lately and my thought is that a non-open car should be sound enough to keep mice out if it is in good condition. I'm not talking about the motor because there are obvious access points to that. If your floors and roof are without holes and your doors are closed with the windows up I don't see how mice can get in. I know this is going to provoke a bunch of contradictions but hopefully we will learn something new.....
It is unhealthy to ruminate over such a trivial matter. thinking fine, ruminate never! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

When a Friend lived in Cambodia, a neighbor doused GAS on a RAT, threw a match at him, he ran through the open house door, UP the curtains & the WHOLE house burned to the ground!!!!!!
Bill W.