Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
keeeef

Default Cast Iron Mannifold

Hi from the UK

Fitted a cast iron manifold to my 29 Sedan this week which I purchase from Macs end of last year. Took it for a short run today but car was exremely slow and sluggish. Noticed 3 holes bown through the VHT paint when I lifted the hood.

2 questions, would that cause the car to run that poorly and can it be repaired.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manifold.jpg (67.5 KB, 485 views)
keeeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
captndan

Default Re: Cast Iron Mannifold

Looks like a very poor casting. Send that picture and request a new one without returning the old one. Postage could be a killer.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
DougVieyra

Mac's.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
keeeef

Just looked the invoice up and it was from Snyders not Macs, apologies Macs! Have sent an email with a pic of the manifold, I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks for replies.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
racingrufus

Is that a cast iron header. I bought a header from Snyders and it was warped from factory. I had to pay to have it planed and it would hit the Webber down draft manafold and cause huge vacume leak. I had to have a slant milled on intake and exhaust header to get engine to run corectly.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
Bob C

You wouldn't think a few small holes in the exhaust manifold would cause
a problem with low power.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Willie Krash

The only thing Ive ever experienced from a small exhaust leak was an annoying sound reminding me to fix it. I'm with Bob.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
keeeef

Yes cast iron header

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/cast-iron-header
Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Tod

That's one reason these are in the process of being replaced. The pattern equipment for those is complete JUNK. The foundry didn't like making them because the scrap rate was insane. I machined them and they warped during machining. Bad design. Bad tooling. I told Snyder I would no longer touch anything that came from the person responsible for this kind of tooling. For that reason I have made new tooling for the single intake, the Thomas head, and a new header. If you aren't a pattern maker don't try to make patterns. Got it?

Don't like my frankness? Tough.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
That's one reason these are in the process of being replaced. The pattern equipment for those is complete JUNK. The foundry didn't like making them because the scrap rate was insane. I machined them and they warped during machining. Bad design. Bad tooling. I told Snyder I would no longer touch anything that came from the person responsible for this kind of tooling. For that reason I have made new tooling for the single intake, the Thomas head, and a new header. If you aren't a pattern maker don't try to make patterns. Got it?

Tod
quite the contrary, we appreciate concise explanations from knowledgeable people.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
quite the contrary, we appreciate concise explanations from knowledgeable people.

Ditto!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:34 AM   #12
CarlG

We are firmly planted behind you Tod. You da man!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #13
Dodge

You've earned the right to speak frankly, frankly. Its time we had some good stuff coming
our way.
Thanks
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Tod
Without frankness you have NO quality --you have just lies...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #15
Sunnybrook Farm

If holes blew in the side then there might be other issues with it meeting up properly with the holes in the block, probably warped as well.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeeef View Post
Hi from the UK

Fitted a cast iron manifold to my 29 Sedan this week which I purchase from Macs end of last year. Took it for a short run today but car was exremely slow and sluggish. Noticed 3 holes bown through the VHT paint when I lifted the hood.

2 questions, would that cause the car to run that poorly and can it be repaired.

Thanks
Hey keeeef,
Are you saying that that is a picture of a 'new' cast iron exhaust header..how long ago did you receive / install it

I ask, because Tod has been complaining of this JUNK part for some time now. He is making his own patterned version of a cast iron exhaust... NEW !
I think that Snyders (Steve) will make things right for you, as it should be. Let us know, eh.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
keeeef

Hi

Yes manifold is brand new, ordered last October. Been gathering parts over the winter and only fitted a couple of weeks back along with a few other upgrades. Sent the picture to Snyders but not heard back yet. Pushed some high temp JB weld in the holes yesterday but blew it straight out again today. It is blowing around the gasket too so looks like its warped as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
jerry shook

I also installed a cast iron from Mike"s it gets so hot the hood handle is hard to hold long enough to open it. Had to wrap it just to drive it. the intake was touching the exhaust and the gas was boiling in the carb. I have a down draft weber. I talked to mike and they called the manufacture, they said they had loss the casting and had to guess when making a new casting.They did not say if they would replace it or take it back. Going to change it to a tube header.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #19
Tod

I sent CarlG the very first sample header I made, a while back. I would like to hear his assessment of my product. Especially since I have 35 of them to cast for Snyder to replace the obsolete junk tooling someone sold him.

I had started to type an extensive bit of information about tooling and foundry but when I finished it I figured it would be deleted or get me banned, so I erased all of that. Suffice it to say that there is more to getting good castings than just making an impression in sand and pouring metal in.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #20
John Duden

a leaking ehaust manifold will cause a disrupt in engine proformance, my G John Deere had a small hole develop (from rust and heat) behind the manifold stud and i plugged it with muffler cement. it held and worked good. Then on the other side of the manifold the gasket blew out when it back fired. We stuck it on the dyno at our town celebration and it only put out 50 HP where as it was putting out close to 60.

I also over hauled an M farmall and i kept hearing a air leak, and found out there was a defect in the manifold casting where there was a small hole in the exhaust. I cleaned the surface with a wire brush and MIG welded it shut and now it runs and idles and has good power.
From what i understand a leaking ehauxst causes a back preasure change and will suck a little air while it is running.
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote