Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #1621
Dad250

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris and David,

Thanks for the feedback and pointers !

David -

Starter is still cable operated - The wire hangs under the dash and somewhere along the line the knob and sheath went missing - So for now, I just reach under and pull on the bare wire loop ! No Stomp pedal for the starter, but there is a foot rest adjacent to the accelerator pedal, and a grease cup at the floorboard-near the firewall around the bell housing interface to the engine.

Yes - I have the original radiator cap - I would have never expected those to be the rarity you mentioned. I'll guard it for certain !

Yes the bumper is sturdy - I have an idea that something must have happened to the original !

Interesting that the large diameter oil filler is a clue to the build time - Should I look look for casting number or some other stampings to narrow it down or provide other build info ?

As I mentioned the heater core isn't hooked up and I don't see any ports on the engine - perhaps it was wishful thinking or a project that stalled along the way.

I'll look at the shocks - any way to test them ? Also I'll check the inventory of old parts in the trucks bed so see what I have and don't have - In the meantime can you point me towards the shock rebuilder so I have some insight?

Regarding wheels and tires - I have 4 17's in place and 1 18 as the spare - The 18 has a V8 hub cap on it - I suspect 17's are correct and the 18 was a odd one that either is oversized tire on the correct wheel or from another that just happens to have a hole pattern that matches up?

Chris-
Radiator is original and only needed a slight pin hole in the top tank closed - its ready for PU this week. Installation will have to wait on new front motor mounts and fan belt.

I'd like to swap rebuild stories and let our 32's sit aside of each other for a photo op while they exchange their antique energy with each other ! It will be a while until I travel to nationals - Hershey in the fall of '23 is a targeted event for me to aim for.

I had to laugh about your plug wire comment - I had taken that pic a while ago - Dad had misplaced the other two spark plug bands - They have since been found and re-attached !

Yes aftermarket flashers and fender mounted signals ( current don't work ) - we where told a prior owner had them installed to satisfy the local inspection agent - who knows ? I must say I like your arrow directional flashers !

Head lamps - not certain - never really paid any attention - they have a white marker on the top and also change from high to low beam dependent on the position of the steering column selector that is set around the horn button.

Speaking of the horn, while I know it's mounted on the "wrong" side and on the headlamp tube - it does work, making a low single note raspy sound - not a AhooGah type sound - I noticed your rebuild - and may pull mine apart at some point -

David and Chris - I can't thank you enough for the welcome and willingness to share your experiences and knowledge ! I will pay these kindnesses forward whenever possible!

Rory
Dad250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #1622
DavidG

Rory,

Likely you will find the engine build number stamped into a flat rectangle on top of the flywheel housing. That number will also likely be stamped into the top of chassis frame rail just forward of the foot of the firewall on the left side. Depending on when the engine was produced, the number will preceded and followed with a star then either AB-5 or B-5 followed by six digits of numbers.

The shock absorber rebuilder that I use is Andrew Falandes in Massachusetts ([email protected]).

1932 Ford passenger cars and commercial vehicles, such as you pickup, were originally equipped with 18" wheels and 5.25 - 18 tires. '33-'34 Ford passenger cars and commercial vehicles had 17" wheels.

Your head lamps appear to be Guide aftermarket sealed beam replacements. Your horn is that of a Model A. The Model B motor driven horn is the same mechanically, but the rear cover, center section on which the motor is mounted, and bracket are unique. Originally the B horn would have been attached on top of the flange of the left front fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor driven horn.jpg (29.7 KB, 9 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:30 PM   #1623
sugarmaker

Folks,
The 32 truck has a new , old engine, and it runs.
Will try to get some pictures and details up in next few days.
Maple event here and at our high school this weekend.
Thanks to all the suppliers and folks here that helped make this happen. It's been a year. Less talk more action!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:06 PM   #1624
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
Picture of the B engine: Thanks to John for helping all afternoon put this engine in the truck. Tanks to: Valley machine for engine work,Snyders for parts, Third Gen for parts. Renners Corners for parts, NAPA, and our local hardware store. And lots of good advice from many folks on the Ford Barn!
I get points deducted in several areas. I painted the oil pan green. The alt I did paint black and it doesnt stick out as much.

Jib crane, engine leveler, a couple guide pins, and two other good helpers, and it went together with out much fuss. Removing the inspection plate on the transmision helped get the spline aligned with the clutch disc:

Cowl vent repair of broken hinge rivet. This was almost more work than stabbing the engine! Really glad this is now functioning. Just need the seal around the vent.

Improved the wiring connections for the lights:

I want to torque the head nuts again after running and cooling. Still may be some adjustments and tuning. Would like to get info on setting the carb float correctly?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-11-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #1625
DavidG

Chris,

Looking good!!!!
Old 11-12-2022, 06:55 AM   #1626
burnette

nice job !
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:14 AM   #1627
49F1Ken

Wow! Looks awesome Chris. Can't wait to hear it run.
49F1Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #1628
sugarmaker

David, burnette, Ken, Folks,
Thanks! Looking forward to getting it out for some engine break in miles. Also hopefully at some shows next season folks will appreciate the engine when the hood is open!
Weather is not good. Roads are wet. No road time now.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-12-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #1629
al's28/33

It has been a really enjoyable thread to read Chris. I hope you and your family have a nice relaxing winter and time to sit back and enjoy good times and your new running engine in that old truck. She is sure a beauty, and it makes us all feel good inside knowing you saved her and kept her in original running condition. Good things happen to good people.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #1630
sugarmaker

Al, folks,
Sure has been a joy for me to have the support, ideas,suggestions, recommendations and parts to have this ragged ol truck up and running. We are planning to take it to Dearborn nationals next year also.
We have our first snow today, and Ruby is having a ball it it!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-13-2022, 06:00 PM   #1631
Bored&Stroked

Looking good Chris - I bet you can't wait to start it and take it out again! It makes me happy to see those lights on your truck - they belong on there and they make the front-end look as it should. Looking forward to a video of the new engine running. Take care buddy.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:28 PM   #1632
sugarmaker

Dale,
Thanks! The lights work great and were a positive change for the truck! Turn your computer sideways, I sometimes take it in the wrong orientation of the phone.
https://youtube.com/shorts/i0C5-zcxkmk

Ok this extra noise is from the exhaust gasket that I had made and it blew out. The engine actually sounds pretty good, after I corrected that. Had the clamp on upside down.
Today I tuned up and stopped a minor gas line leak at the fuel pump. Also tightened the drain plug on the pan and stopped a minor drip there too. At this time I have NO new engine leaks, Other than, I filled the radiator too full and some water was coming out the over flow as it seaks its own level. Run time total so far maybe 10 minutes, at various rpm's. I have 10W30 break in oil in the engine. No sign of a rear engine oil problem!

Folks,
So the truck floor boards need to be installed next. I am trying to figure out the foam material around the pedal arms. Other than that it is assemled and ready for a test run down the road when it is dry. All lights, turn signals and horn function. And the air conditioning system now operates well too! That broken vent pivot had been bothering me. I should be able to pass inspection at Dearborn Nationals in 2023!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-13-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #1633
Tinker

Really appreciate the way the direction this truck was taken. Well done
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #1634
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris, the engine sound like it is running really well! Hopefully your roads get dry and you can take the ole' girl out for a spin soon.

BTW: I like your 'flat black' alternator . . . does look a lot better. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #1635
51504bat

Looking good. Now just need a set of chains for some of that lake effect snow that's coming soon.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #1636
sugarmaker

Tinker,
The direction was basically get it functional and keep the look.
I may take the 32 out for a spin when I get the floor boards in position?

51504bat,
Chains on the truck? Well I had not thought about that but I bet trucks like this had to use them in our area! This one wont be out there in bad weather. Might drive around the outside of the shop for some in the snow pictures, but thats about it.

Dale,
I know some of us dont like the flat black, but its just the way I decided to go this time.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #1637
DavidG

Chris,

The B-76190 black foam rubber weather pad or filler around the steering column and pedals at the #1 floor board is shown on page 15-18 in the lower left corner. The version shown is the later one, but the only difference between it and the early one for your truck is the location of the hole for the brake pedal. On yours, the holes for for the clutch and brake pedals are on the same horizontal plain, not offset with the brake pedal hole lower than the clutch pedal hole.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #1638
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the tip and direction. Found some parts, around the pedal area, that may work from Renner's Corner.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #1639
DWG32BB

The small lever on the shifter on your 32 is for reverse. The big trucks are 4 speeds and you pull that up and reverse is to the right and back.
DWG32BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #1640
Dad250

Chris - looks great ! on post 1624 it shows the motor mounts - How do the engine mounts attach to the frame with a bolt or do they slip down over a threaded pin ? Also where did you source those from ? My PU needs a set and I'm shopping !
Dad250 is offline   Reply With Quote