Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
1931flathead

Default T5 transmission

I found a 1988 s10 with a t5 transmission anyone interested in the transmission I want the frame but I have to buy the whole truck I'm guessing it a none wc transmission

I'm in central Minnesota
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: T5 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931flathead View Post
I found a 1988 s10 with a t5 transmission anyone interested in the transmission I want the frame but I have to buy the whole truck I'm guessing it a none wc transmission

I'm in central Minnesota
For anyone that is NOT TIRED (yet) of hearing me preach about T5 transmissions out of an "S-10"....here goes, one more time!

T5 transmissions are what I would call MEDIUM-DUTY transmissions, originally built by Borg-Warner and eventually bought-out by TREMEC. They were available as original equipment in over thirty different vehicle platforms over the years, including foreign makes. They are reasonably compact in size, can handle reasonable amounts of torque when driven with a little bit of respect. Their torque ratings are based on the 1st gear ratios available. Those ratios with higher NUMERIC value (like a 4.03 1st gear ratio) will be rated to handle less torque than the trans with a 2.95 or 3.35 1st gear.

The T5 basic design was clever in that ANY T5 gear set was able to be assembled inside either of two basic gear cases, commonly referred-to as having either a "GM" bolt pattern, or a "Ford" bolt pattern where they bolt-up to a bellhousing. All top-side gear covers interchange with any main case. Both MAIN cases are 9-1/4" front to back, externally. All rear, extension or TAIL housings will physically bolt onto either main case. All T5 shifters are located in their respective TAIL housings, and were positioned at several different locations, FORE & AFT on the TAIL housing, as specified by the needs of a particular vehicle manufacturer. The majority of different T5 tail housings have the shifter fixture located somewhat rearward on the respective housings. But there was ONE vehicle manufacturer that had a requirement for that shifter location to be as far FORWARD on the tail housing as possible. That manufacturer was GM, and that particular requirement was for the Chevy S-10 & GMC Sonoma pick-up trucks.

These S-10 & SONOMA extension housings were built this way to move the shifter forward in the cab of the pick-up trucks so that the shifter didn't come up through the seat, for instance. Camaro and Mustang T5s have the shifter located toward the very rear of the extension housing, and would make swapping into most modified cars (including old Fords) uncomfortable to shift with the shifter being too far to the rear for comfort. Well early-on, guys realized this and started using Chevy S-10 T5 transmissions with their swaps behind flatheads, as well as Ford and Chevy engine swaps. But S-10s were fitted with wimpy 4-cylinders as well as anemic V6 engines. As such, the transmissions came with either 4.03 or 3.76 FIRST gear ratios. Off the bat, there goes the torque rating out the window, even for a flathead. Secondly, that low of a 1st gear ratio is essentially going to make your first gear seem like a "GRANNY" gear, essentially useless unless you're building a 'parade car'.

So, with the ability to swap a T5 tail housing (with forward shifter) onto your V8 Camaro transmission with a 2.95 FIRST gear, you get the absolute best of both worlds. The ONLY pieces which are REALISTICALLY worthy of using from an S-10 transmission is the tail housing, the shifter lid which contains the short, S-10 shift rod, as well as the S-10 main shaft. The S-10 MAIN shaft is completely swappable with a Camaro main shaft (both being NWC) so that the Camaro shaft does not need to be modified for the speedo drive gear to line-up correctly.

So, my suggestion is to take the time to swap the S-10 parts onto a NWC V8 Camaro trans for the ultimate package with no disappointments.

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
1931flathead

I don't want or need the transmission at all If I buy the truck I have no need for it so anyone interested in it
Old 06-05-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
ssffnomad

If truck is nice , buy it. Be concerned about selling 5 spd after .
Good Luck
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:44 PM   #5
1931flathead

The truck is a rust bucket just thought I could get part of my money back from the transmission and the cat nothing else any good on it
Old 06-05-2022, 11:46 PM   #6
1931flathead

I just thought maybe one of you guy want it for your flathead or model a
Old 06-05-2022, 11:49 PM   #7
Tinker

So... the 10$ question is... how much for the T5?

Maybe see what the market is and how much the junker will cost you. Add the time you will have to scrap it and market the T5. Then say to yourself.... it was worth it. Sometimes it evens out, sometimes it doesn't. Save it, list it. Every dollar counts. There is a market for a good T5. Not so much for the old spur cut 4sp fords.

Buy it for what you need, if you feel it's fair.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-06-2022 at 12:18 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:47 AM   #8
cas3

scrap is high now, you will get some money back there. I would like to have it " in stock" but no need now, i have way too much crap, maybe you need something in trade that I have? send a PM if so, I am in the swamp too.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #9
1931flathead

The problem he wants 600.00 for it and it's a rust bucket but the frame looks good I can buy a frame for 300.00 but I don't trust the guy all I need is a frame for my 47 for truck cab
Old 06-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

When looking for a T-5 Tranny, I suggest you look for the Ford units Or rhe later Chevy ones which converted to the Ford bolt pattern. The adapter is only $175 bucks to maye up with an8BA bell housing and ALL the stock clutch parts work with it. Makes the conversion quite easy and Cheep.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #11
Krylon32

My trans re builder has been paying around $100 for S10 cores. I have been curious for years about the S10 frame swap. I've had a little experience with chassis and I would think it would be easier to add an after market IFS and an updated rear end set up to your existing frame. That way keeping all the stock sheet metal mounting points. I'm sure the stock frame has adequate strength for what you are doing? Just asking.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #12
fordcragar

I’m with Krylon32 on the frame issue.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #13
Vanspeed

If you were local I would be asking your address.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:38 PM   #14
1931flathead

But my cab came off a big truck
Old 06-08-2022, 05:15 AM   #15
Ziggster

I picked up a T5 a few years ago for CAN$250, plus the seller threw in a box with a bunch of other T5 parts for free. I probably have enough parts for another tranny. I’m not sure if you would break even trying to sell the T5.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
My trans re builder has been paying around $100 for S10 cores.

I'd pay $100 for S-10 cores all day long TOO, as the TAIL SHAFT HOUSING itself, the main piece giving these "S-10"-specific transmissions any real value, are beginning to get scarce and many times are seen selling for well-north of $200 bucks - just for the housing! This SHORT shift rod is also required to work with these 'forward-shifter' housings. Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #17
1931flathead

Shipping is nuts no these days you can't hardly ship anything cost so much
Old 06-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #18
tubman

I bought 3 BW T89's from a guy in Oklahoma about a month ago. The cheapest way to get them was to alter my trip home to Minnesota from Florida by going thru Oklahoma City to pick them up.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote