Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
Kube

Default Re: didn't use Permatex Thread Sealant when installing heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMettler View Post
1931 Flamingo and Kube,

Thanks for the questions. Yes, I have nice thick washers under the nuts. And Kube, if you were in this situation you would not reinstall your heads if the gaskets and copper coats look good? Instead buy new ones? I am going to use the tread sealer under, over the washers and around the stud that stick out of the cylinder head. If I coat anything lower than that on the studs, I fear It will be near impossible to get the heads off in the future. I have never used the sealer and don't know if it sets up like silicone or is more like a thick water resistant grease. I'll see tomorrow when I buy some.
Thanks to your input, now I am not going to torque beyond 40. If I still have leaks, I will try the powder aluminum. My only reason for not going that route first is tube videos tend to swing toward that as a temp fix.

Regards, and thanks for all your input and time.
Randy,
The aluminum sealant enters the cooling system (radiator). It stays in circulation until / unless it finds a leak. If and when it finds a leak, it fills that void.
If it finds no leaks, it stays in circulation.
Please, just do the three heat cycles / re-torque, add the sealer and drive this thing for a bit.